Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

DIY - How to program keyless remote fobs for a 2004 RAV4

19436 11
I said I'd post these instructions when my new keyless remote fobs arrived.

Bought a 2004 RAV4L last week, but it didn't have the keyless remote fobs. Ordered 2 off of ebay for just under $40 (free shipping). They arrived today and I was able to program them both on the first try using these instructions:
(Note - I only had to do the system preparation once and then just repeated step 6 for each remote,)

SYSTEM PREPARATION

1. With key out of the ignition sit in driver seat with DRIVER DOOR opened and unlocked, all OTHER DOORS closed and locked.

2. Within 5 seconds:
A -INSERT key into the ignition DO NOT TURN
-REMOVE key from the ignition.
B -INSERT key into the ignition DO NOT TURN

3. Within 40 seconds:
A -CLOSE driver door
-OPEN driver door
B -CLOSE driver door
-OPEN driver door
C -INSERT key into the ignition DO NOT TURN

4. Within 40 seconds:
A -CLOSE driver door
-OPEN driver door
B -CLOSE driver door
-OPEN driver door
C -INSERT the key into the ignition DO NOT TURN
-Leave key in the ignition
D -CLOSE driver door
E -Turn key to ON but DO NOT START
-Turn key to OFF
F -REMOVE key from ignition

5. Within 3 seconds, the door locks should LOCK then UNLOCK automatically indicating successful entry into programming mode. Return to step 1 if the locks do not cycle at this point.

REMOTE PROGRAMMING

6.Within 40 seconds:
A -PRESS and HOLD LOCK and UNLOCK buttons simutaneously for 1.5 seconds, then RELEASE the buttons
B -PRESS the LOCK button and HOLD for 2 seconds (immediately after releasing the buttons).
Within 3 seconds, the door locks should LOCK then UNLOCK automatically indicating successful programming.
If the door locks cycle twice, repeat steps A and B in step 6 as the remote was not accepted.
C -Repeat steps A and B in step 6 for each new remote.

The basic instructions came from a different forum and I edited them slightly.

Maybe this will help save someone some $$
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
17,508 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks JuneBug for the Toyota document. I had no idea there were different modes. That could be pretty important especially if you accidently activate "prohibition mode".

I also maintain my 2004 Sienna, my daughter's 2003 RAV4, and my mother-inlaw's 2003 Camry so this will come in handy.

Thanks again,
Craig

· Registered
10 Posts
Thank you so much! I really appreciate you finding this. Even though the dealer said my vin# should have the keyless feature it doesn't. I guess I will have to add the door control receiver. I have been trying to find the service manuals for my 2004 rav4 but all the downloads don't work. I did find where the receiver would be located but I wanted to see what has to be removed to see if I have the wiring needed. I really appreciate you finding and uploading the factory bulletin.

· Registered
10 Posts
Do you know where I can find a program sheet to turn on the horn when the doors are locked? That programming sheet you provided worked great to program the remotes, after I programmed the remotes when I lock or unlock I get no horn or light flash. I'm trying to find a way to enable this feature. It says it should be default that way from post that I found but I can't find any program instructions.

Thanks in advance for any help!

· Registered
17 Posts
Even though the dealer said my vin# should have the keyless feature it doesn't. I guess I will have to add the door control receiver. I did find where the receiver would be located but I wanted to see what has to be removed to see if I have the wiring needed. I really appreciate you finding and uploading the factory bulletin.
Did you install the door lock control module into the plug behind the drivers side rear quarter panel? I did that with my 2003 but I can't seem to get to go into program mode. Thanks

· Registered
10 Posts
Yes, I just installed it in the plug behind the drivers cargo panel. The plug was right next to the gas filler neck. Look at the programming sheet that JCMA so kindly found and posted. The Rav 4 has 2 steps that are reversed from some other Toyota vehicles. Steps 5 and 6 have to be reversed. I tried it without the factory programming sheet at least 10 times and it never worked. After I got the factory sheet it worked perfect. I found it easier to type out the instruction with the steps listed the correct way for the Rav4 which made it easy. I hope that helps

· Registered
17 Posts
OK perfect! Thanks, good to know it's just a plug and play item. This is the first place that I've seen where the steps 5 & 6 are reversed for the mk2 Rav4. I installed an aftermarket remote door lock/unlock unit and although it just taps into the lock and unlock wires of my Rav4, I'm thinking it might be causing my problem, but I cant see why it would. I'll give it a few more tries and then remove the aftermarket unit if I still cant get the OEM unit to go into program mode. I picked up two OEM units from a recycle yard so I may also have a faulty unit installed.

· Registered
17 Posts
I Tried several times to get it into program mode but no luck. Mine is a 2003 so maybe there is something different than with the 2004. I’ll pup in my other spare contrôler to see if the unit is faulty.

· Registered
2004, Automatic
101 Posts
Hey All,

Old thread but figured I'd give it a shot.

I have a 2004. Its currently got an aftermarket remote start / lock kit. The thing was working well but now it barely works. Depends on where I am (works in the driveway but not at Canadian Tire?).

Confirmed I have the receiver in the rear, ordered a key of Ebay and I can get the car into programming mode, but it won't accept the fob (locks cycle twice telling me to start over).

Not sure I got the wrong FOB or what.
Human body Font Rectangle Art Circle

Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Font Gas

1 - 12 of 12 Posts