Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister's '99 L Rav, Blackeye, does not have a garage, and so she cooks all day in the Colorado sunlight. Also, she doesn't get washed enough or Back-to-Black'd (ever?), so the belt moulding is totally shot. Also, there was a hail storm! Add to this that the previous owner decided to "fix" some of this trim with RTV or something, and it is clear that the moulding needs proper replacement. This is a DIY to show you how to remove and replace this trim component if you also have this problem.

Here is the before and after:

BEFORE:

AFTER

Parts and Supplies:

All you need is...
- a plastic pry tool, like these from Harbor Freight

- new (or new-to-you) belt moulding: I am very, very lucky right now and have unusually good Rav4.1 salvage game in my area, and so I have been able to fetch out two full sets of belt moulding, and a bunch of the little "strip clips". If you have a pick-n-pull style yard in your area, you can usually get this trim for free and just take as many clips as you can from the trim that's useless/not worth recovering, including from other Toyotas in the yard. If you have no junkyard luck, you can order it...though its expensive. There may be aftermarket options.

Here are the Toyota part numbers, with current prices from localpartshop.com:
Left-side front door: 75720-42020, $54.50
Left-side rear door: 7573042010, $49.16.
Right side front door: 75710-42020, $54.50
Right side rear door: 75730-42010, 49.16.​

You also need 5 clips per door, part #68212-16010, $2.61 each. You can try to re-use your current clips, but they are a little tricky to remove without breaking, and you must remove them to re-use them. The first time I pulled the moulding off at a junkyard, I broke every single one...I've since pulled about 12 belt mouldings, and I still usually manage to break about 20% of the clips: remember that they will be about 20 years old and pretty brittle. So you might as well buy five per door.

STEPS/TECHNIQUE

1.) Start at the "free" end of the door, ie the part furthest from the hinge. Lift the old moulding up, and slightly turn the back side (the side facing the window) UP. Basically, you want to twist it up a bit. If you're lucky, you'll get it slide off the clip, but more likely you'll hear a "snap" and break the clip. Continue this down towards the hinge.

Note: I didn't notice much of a difference whether or not the window was down, but theoretically it should be easier with the window down. Look at the pictures of the clips below if you are going to try to NOT break the clips so they can be re-used: what you will need to do is get the belt trim off the top part of the clip, which is the part of the clip with the two little "antenna" looking features. If you can get the trim to twist just right, you'll pop it right off these "antennas".

2.) Remove all the clips (broken or not) from the door. The broken clips will not fall into the door because they are each seated in a little slot on the door panel. Removing them is a little tricky, but much less if you're not trying to save them -- if you aren't trying to save them, just yanked them out of with a needle-nosed pliers. Unless they are NOT broken, don't bother trying to save them because they will not be useful anymore. You must remove them in either case because you need those slots free.

Look at the pictures and see that the clip fastens quite well, so you need to first unclip one side, then loop something through the middle and unclip the other side. This picture shows how I use my tools to do this, though obviously you won't be able to see it this well when the clip in still in place in the door. Do whatever works!

3.) Note that each clip only fits in one spot. The clips are all the same and symmetrical and work for other side of the car, but they only fit the door a certain way. I did notice that some are yellow and some are white, but they are just different colors as far as I can tell that might have varied over the years -- I used them interchangeably. Look at the proper orientation in the picture. Also, these clips are in their correct locations on the trim to be properly seated into the corresponding slots in the door. To put the clips on the trim, you slide them in on the open end of the bottom of the trim, and then slide them over to their correct spot.

4.) Position the moulding over the door, matching the ends to the outline of the door, and double-check the location of the clips. Then just press down and that's it! The moulding will snap right into place with a clean, flush fit.

Note: if you're using recovered moulding, be sure that its shaped properly before you press the clips in, because you might have warped it bit when you pulled it off at the junkuard -- no worries, the back of the moulding is thin metal, so it can easily be forced back into shape.

This is an easy, cheap DIY that really improves the look of the Rav4! I was surprised at how much better it looked without the flaky, crazy-looking trim anymore. At least until the next hail storm :( I was able to do some other minor body work on this Rav last week, and a little more is coming up this week, including front bumper repair, rear "bumper" replacement, fender replacement, and wiper arm and cowl painting, and wheel painting. I'll post some pictures of these fixes as I have time. Blackeye is looking better and better each week!

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,044 Posts
Very nice, I wish I had known how to do this before I did my camo wrap so that the wrap would have gone under the window trim.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nice write up for the window belt strip, this is on the list of things I need to replace, but I have a 96 2dr. and cannot find a
brand new strip anywhere and the salvage yards all seem to have 4dr. Rav's, so still hunting.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice write up for the window belt strip, this is on the list of things I need to replace, but I have a 96 2dr. and cannot find a
brand new strip anywhere and the salvage yards all seem to have 4dr. Rav's, so still hunting.
I know what you mean -- I'm at yards a lot, and I have yet to see a single 2-dr Rav at a junkyard. If I find one, I'll pull the trim and PM you (I can usually get this trim for free or "almost free" at my locals yards).

·
Registered
13 Posts
I know what you mean -- I'm at yards a lot, and I have yet to see a single 2-dr Rav at a junkyard. If I find one, I'll pull the trim and PM you (I can usually get this trim for free or "almost free" at my locals yards).
That would be awesome, I would very much appreciate that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts