Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all from Sunny UK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now here"s a question for you. Has anyone out there in the big wide world or Beyond! Swapped a Manual gearbox for an Automatic box in a RAV 4.1????????? I can get my hands on a complete scrap RAV 4.1 Automatic which is a total writeoff, but the engine and box are OK. So is it possible to take everything worth salvaging off the scrapper including the Auto box and somehow transplanting it in to my Rav 4.1 manual?????
Interesting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By the way, I"m in my 70s so wont be able to do the job myself. So how much or how long would it take?
Cheers

·
Registered
731 Posts
You would be better to sell your RAV4 and buy an automatic. The labor required (new PCM, wiring harness, mounts, etc) would be most costly than to replace the RAV4.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
You might want to post in the 4.1 section as well if you haven't already. Somebody there may have the where-with-all to help you gather advice/info and possibly the manpower that you might need should you undertake a project of this magnitude.

Good luck!

·
Registered
876 Posts
As long as your donor is the same as what you have 2wd or 4wd. You'll have everything you need. Its going to be a fair amount of work but do-able.

Hows the Km of the donor?

I would be a bit worried about not being able to drive donor before the transplant to check for auto box problems

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sounds like a mess, yet if you have a totaled vehicle that's complete, it should be doable. Just reverse the factory install... pull the strut top bolts, the 4 monster cradle bolts, unhook everything, and just drop it all as a unit. Wouldn't surprise me if the body harness unplugs from the engine harness, and that they would be compatible. Just a lot of work... exhaust, fuel, coolant, etc. And access to a lift, to raise the vehicle up off the cradle.

Then you get in to needing: gauge cluster, shift handle/cables/etc, correct brake pedal, pull the clutch pedal/master-cylinder and seal, and who knows what else. As a project-person, I might find a reason, yet I'm with everyone else... just buy the vehicle you want, and sell everything else off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts