Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone changed the oil filter and oil yet diy ?
What oil filter did you use ?
What do you need to get the plastic undercover off to get to the drain bolt?
What mm socket do you need to get the drain plug out?
Thanks.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Can't believe nobody has answered this yet!

Yes, I did change my oil at 2200 miles.

Dealer gave me oil filter 90915-YZZF2

'Original filter was somewhat smaller ----

I used this Oil filter wrench from NAPA # 77-3150 to remove original and insured that it would fit the new filters. https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/SER773150?partTypeName=Oil+Filter+Wrench&keywordInput=oil+filter+wrench

There are four 10mm self tapping bolts that hold a rectangular cover on the bottom of the engine to get at the filter and oil plug.
The oil plug is 14mm -- don't forget to change the oil plug fiber washer at the same time. They are about $1 each at the Dealership.
The only oil that I could find that was 0W-16 was Mobile1 at wallyworld. The dealership said that was the oil that they used too.
You can lift off the plastic cover on top of the engine to make it easier to get to the oil fill cap. There is a baffle in the filler opening, so it's difficult to fit a funnel into it - so I used the top part of a gallon jug of washer fluid, and cut that into a funnel shape. Tight fit but it worked perfectly without any spills.

I will say that this is the first vehicle that I didn't need to PRY off the original oil filter with great force. The oil plug wasn't overly tight either.
Simple easy job! Oil comes straight down and the filter did not leak too much when removed. Not much mess at all.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I have been looking into non-OEM filters. M1 and Fram Extra Guards. I wont use anything else Fram other than XG filter.

OEM:
90915-YZZF2 . This part number supercedes the YZZM1 filter.

Aftermarket:
OEM size:
M1-103a
XG-4967

Oversized Can:
XG-4386.
M1-209A. This in theory also crosses to XG-3600 which is a huge can.

From what I can tell ALL Fram equivilants are 14 PSI bypass. M1 is very stingy with their data so cross referencing them or trying to upsize is difficult and a dart at the dart board.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can't believe nobody has answered this yet!

Yes, I did change my oil at 2200 miles.

Dealer gave me oil filter 90915-YZZF2
View attachment 145161

'Original filter was somewhat smaller ----
View attachment 145162

I used this Oil filter wrench from NAPA # 77-3150 to remove original and insured that it would fit the new filters.
View attachment 145163

There are four 10mm self tapping bolts that hold a rectangular cover on the bottom of the engine to get at the filter and oil plug.
The oil plug is 14mm -- don't forget to change the oil plug fiber washer at the same time. They are about $1 each at the Dealership.
The only oil that I could find that was 0W-16 was Mobile1 at wallywould.
You can lift off the plastic cover on top of the engine to make it easier to get to the oil fill cap.

I will say that this is the first vehicle that I didn't need to PRY off the original oil filter with great force. The oil plug wasn't overly tight either.
Simple easy job! Oil comes straight down and the filter did not leak too much when removed. Not much mess at all.
Thank you. !
I also have 0w16 m1 afe from Walmart :) with rebate it is like 12 dollars for 5 quarts ! And from Australian owners manual they are allowed upto 15w40 !

·
Registered
474 Posts
Just an FYI regarding FRAM oil filters. When I had a '98 Ford Explorer with an overhead cam and chain tensioners which used oil pressure to actuate, FRAM filters would allow the oil to drain back down into the pan when the vehicle sat for a day or two. When you would start the engine, the tensioners would get thrashed by the chain until the oil got back to the top of the engine and moved them into position. Ford's OEM filter had a better internal valve which prevented this and it allowed for warranty repairs, not if, but when, the tensioners would explode. Mine didn't but I used the OEM filter from the start. So I highly recommend spending a little more on an OEM filter.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have been looking into non-OEM filters. M1 and Fram Extra Guards. I wont use anything else Fram other than XG filter.

OEM:
90915-YZZF2 . This part number supercedes the YZZM1 filter.

Aftermarket:
OEM size:
M1-103a
XG-4967

Oversized Can:
XG-4386.
M1-209A. This in theory also crosses to XG-3600 which is a huge can.

From what I can tell ALL Fram equivilants are 14 PSI bypass. M1 is very stingy with their data so cross referencing them or trying to upsize is difficult and a dart at the dart board.
My attitude over the past 10 new cars that I have purchased - is to use OEM factory filters and keep the receipts until the warranty is up. I also can't wrap my head around 10k mile oil changes. Even with the recommended oil changes of 5k miles with my previous cars, and with full synthetic oil, I still changed them at 3k miles. (My winters are harsh, and my summers are hot.) I might be 'old school' but it has given me a peace of mind. This car, I will ~~~try~~~ to extend the oil changes to 5k.
Each to his own... ;)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Probably because a lot of people are using their two free oil changes. But thanks for the info. I have one more free at 20k, then will begin changing my oil.
When I took delivery of the Rav4, I wouldn't even let them wash it.
They told me about the free maintenance, and in reply, I said "Na, I'll pass on that - you'll probably never see me again."
I never let a dealer touch my car unless it was a recall, or if I had some major issue.
DIY --- If I can't do it myself, I shouldn't have it.
I've come from a long line of Subaru's for the past 15 years, and this is one of the easiest cars to maintain that I have ever had.

·
Registered
285 Posts
They told me about the free maintenance, and in reply, I said "Na, I'll pass on that - you'll probably never see me again."
I never let a dealer touch my car unless it was a recall, or if I had some major issue.
I've come from a long line of Subaru's for the past 15 years, and this is one of the easiest cars to maintain that I have ever had.
Funny Man....
Free oil change, Free Wash..
na, no thanks...:):):):):):):)

I got a chuckle...

My Pontiac Solstice is one of the first 1000 ( specially badged )
and only 3 people have ever driven it ( not - including the car carrier driver )
I let him drive it off the truck!!
Done all my maintenance and washes over the last 14 years
:love: :love: :love: :love:

I'm with YOU!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I agree if everything is good never go back just do the oil changes yourself and you'll never have a problem

·
Registered
270 Posts
lol...not me. We’ve had 6 Toyota vehicles. I take every free oil change. Take them to the dealership when I need to. I change my own oil after the free ones. I follow the 10,000 miles until the warranty is over. Then I use either the 15k or 20k oil. I put 30k miles yearly. My wife around 15k.

My XSE goes through the car wash at least once a week. Sometimes twice. All these years I had one wheel bearing gone bad. That’s it. Out of six cars.

Looking forward to put the XSE through the test all over the Lake Superior area. 😁

·
Registered
983 Posts
Funny that since I bought my new ‘07 Toyota Camry hybrid in ‘06, I’ve never even looked under any of my 4 Toyotas since, let alone changed the oil. Never had any problem beyond a squeaky area of the Camry’s dash. All this worry is just old school fearful brainwashing from our past. It’s also funny to me that folks think they’re so much better than the Toyota service folks who do this every day. That said, I may well break precedence and have them change my oil early at the first service visit @ 5000 miles.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Fram filters have a bad history. Do research on the XGs. Totaly different. Since M1 changed their filters from the old non A designation to the A designation some are saying XGs are better due to pleat finishing.

And a "Toyota" filter is made by another company. I dont know who. But as a cost savings move Toyota simplified inventory by limiting filter assemblies. So the base and the filter are common across many many vehicles. Another case of accountants over engineers.

And I dont take my vehicle to "free" oil changes where fluids are in bulk and its speed emphasis over accuracy at most. Its easy, I put in syn and I know for sure whats in it. I also dont subscribe to 10k changes... But thats whole different religious discussion... Lol

·
Registered
16 Posts
(shortened)

I will say that this is the first vehicle that I didn't need to PRY off the original oil filter with great force.
Wow this is great news. Every vehicle I’ve ever bought new required a screwdriver through the filter to finally loosen it. One too many ugga duggas with the air wrench at the motor assembly shop. :(

1 - 20 of 33 Posts