Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Changed my oil for the first time yesterday, 2600 miles. The local Pep Boys has the proper spec Penzzoil in 5 quart jugs (SN/RC). I used the Toyota 90915-YZZF2 filter although there's a comprable TRD model that fits.

I built 2 "ramps" out of a 2 x 12 x 8' piece of fir, doubled up, a bevel at one end (so each is 2' long). Contrary to some folks thinking the car should be level, I think this slight elevation of the front is actually preferable. The drain plug is at an angle, elevating the front a bit brings it to a more level position and, because of the bend in the oil pan, the drain spot remains the lowest region of the pan. Very tight fit without some elevation.

When removing the cowling, remove the rear screw last; there is a tab at the front that keeps it suspended for convenience.

My 65 mm filter "wrench" fit but a 64 mm might not bind, on trying to disengage, as much.

·
Registered
55 Posts
mind posting the link or part number? any adapter etc?
Right now the Fumoto site doesn't have the 19' model on there, but I'm going to assume it's the same thread size as previous gen, all you have to do is find what thread size the current drain plug is, which someone will find out by the time I get to changing my oil or Fumoto will end up updating their site.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
It's interesting that on pg. 673 of owners manual it states that
" An oil with a higher viscosity (one with a higher value) may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions. "
I drive long distance at 75 mph. I might go with m1 0w20 ep. Last trip of 500 miles through hilly terrain did not reveal any oil consumption on 0w16 though. It still looks new at 2000 miles. Australian owners manual does allow all the way upto 15w40.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
It still looks new at 2000 miles. Australian owners manual does allow all the way upto 15w40.
I checked mine the other day..Roughly 1500 and it was pretty translucent. I was surprised as this is my third GDI motor. The hyundai was a POS. Ford has done well but still gets dirty quick. Maybe just a process of a new engine? Been quite a while for me.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I checked mine the other day..Roughly 1500 and it was pretty translucent. I was surprised as this is my third GDI motor. The hyundai was a POS. Ford has done well but still gets dirty quick. Maybe just a process of a new engine? Been quite a while for me.
It has supplemental port fuel injection. Thanks toyota. !

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
It has supplemental port fuel injection. Thanks toyota. !
But thats for backside valve wash. Does that change the microsoot (Why oil darkens so quick) levels? I dont know.

But yes I am very thankful for the port FI to keep valves in better shape. The carbon on GDI motors is bad if you dont pay attention.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Has any one left the plastic cover off permanently ( one with 4 10mm screws )
Why would you? I suspect, thanks to Bernouli's Principle, that would be a good way to suck road debris up and onto bottom components versus the plastic which appears to offer protection akin to undercoating as well as reducing drag.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Okay I will keep the cover. It is more aerodynamic that way. Lots of plastic everywhere in the belly of this one.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts