Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is very quick fix in case you have the center armrest, and you have noticed that the cover on it is "saggy".

I really lucked out today and found a center arm rest at the junkyard! I also managed to bag a dash cupholder -- these items will make my sister's Rav4 more useful/comfortable. I have them in mine, and I really like them.

Anyways, the center armrest is in remarkably good condition, and I even found the insert. The only problem was that the top cushion part was saggy, and the cushion cover (which is a very flexible TPU or TPU-like material) was sort of "rolled" towards the passenger seat side. I think this was just from the driver often using it, and his arm pressing up against the cushion and causing it to dislocate over time.

Well, it turns out that you can easily reposition this cushion material. Here are some pictures:

1.) Remove the lid from the hinge (two Phillips screws), then flip the lid cushion-side down and remove the rest of the Phillips screws.

2.) Pull up the black hard plastic frame, and then you can easily pull up the very flexible TPU cushion.

3.) Check out the foam under the cushion -- just reposition it to where it needs to be, and press it down well. The adhesive is very strong, but lets you also pull it up to move the foam.

4.) Put everything back together in reverse order.

I forgot to take a picture, but the foam on this one was all the way wrinkled/scrunched into the center, such that there were spots with no foam at all. Some of the foam tore a tiny bit when I moved it, but overall I was able to just basically peel up the wrinkled part and press it back down to where it needs to be. It also is clear to me after doing this that you could increase the thickness of the foam, if you wanted to have a more cushion-y armrest. I'm happy with it as is, and I know my sister is going to love it!

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,756 Posts
Nicely done, but I think if I had gone to all that trouble, I would have replaced the foam itself. Problem is, I don't know where to buy a good quality automotive foam that doesn't deteriorate over time.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, JuneBug, I know what you mean -- the foams also tend to smell terrible and off-gas for ages. Then there's how to make it stick -- I'm going to be doing some interior trim work to repair the door panels, so if I find something that makes those stick, I supposed it would work for this. (I'm hoping 3M Super 77 does it).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts