Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was replacing my struts/shocks this weekend and noticed i don't have a rear sway bar installed. it's a 2007 Rav4 sport. i'm looking at the rear arms and it looks like they have never installed. are there any years/models that do not have it?

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I checked mine and I have them on a 09 Sport. They do make them for a 07 Sport so recheck it again. It is hard to see since it is tucked behind so many things. If you look where the rear stabilizer link is you will see a bar connected to it (on the bottom) but only a few inches is visible from the back. (not the entire length can be seen)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no, i actually did my rear shocks... so i'm positive i don't have a rear sway bar attached to the arms. anyone have an 07 to verify? this is weird. i guess i'll try to find one. handling seems normal to me.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Go out and look at the underside of your rav...the 2 bolts that are circled are the sway bar end links...if you see those 2 things that are circled in red then you have a rear sway bar...

·
Super Moderator
11,014 Posts
My '08 Limited has one, it's in the garage. That's because I had it replaced with a thicker one to quash body roll in hard cornering.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
no, i actually did my rear shocks... so i'm positive i don't have a rear sway bar attached to the arms. anyone have an 07 to verify? this is weird. i guess i'll try to find one. handling seems normal to me.
If the sway bar stabilizer link is there then there should be a stabilizer bar connected to it.
The stabilizer bar is not near the shocks and it is more in the middle of the car.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have an 07 Sport V6. There is a stabilizer bar which site rear of the shocks. It is mostly hidden above the rear control arms. Easy way to tell is to lie on the ground behind the Rav and look at the rear control arms. If there is a small bolt sticking down below (will have a rubber bushing squished into the control arm) then it will have a Stabilizer Bar. Trust me, you have one.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Jsut looked at mine yesterday. It is so small, I can see how it can be over looked. But the picture with the bolts sticking out of the bottom is the best indicator as it attaches to the end links.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2007 base. I don't see the rear sway bar (and link) like rav4sytem showed in the picture. I just cleaned the brake. Even that I cannot find the rear sway bar. It is really strange.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I have a 2007 base. I don't see the rear sway bar (and link) like rav4sytem showed in the picture. I just cleaned the brake. Even that I cannot find the rear sway bar. It is really strange.
According to Edmunds all 07 RAV4 have a rear sway bar and end links. Try looking again.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My '08 Limited has one, it's in the garage. That's because I had it replaced with a thicker one to quash body roll in hard cornering.
Did you replace only the rear one? How much did it cost and was it easy to fabricate one? I installed some "shock absorber buffers" which are polyurethane cushions installed in the gapping of the springs, that proved to be a miracle as body roll was heavily reduced. But now I'm thinking about improving the sway bar and taking these buffers off as when I go offroading it is too stiff.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Cheapest-2-Pcs-Lot-Car-Auto-A-B-C-D-E-F-Type-Shock-Absorber-Spring/32346596956.html

The factory rear swaybar measures 22mm in diameter. The MAKO parts one is 24mm. Approximate 42% increase in torsional stiffness.
The factory front swaybar measures 25.4mm in diameter. The MAKO parts one is 27mm. Approximate 45% increase in torsional stiffness.

Ultra Racing one seems to be only 23 mm. How much bigger did you get?

·
Registered
8 Posts
i was replacing my struts/shocks this weekend and noticed i don't have a rear sway bar installed. it's a 2007 Rav4 sport. i'm looking at the rear arms and it looks like they have never installed. are there any years/models that do not have it?
I have an 06 rav4 base model. I can say with certainty that it does not have a rear sway bar. No links where they should be. I replaced the front sway bar bushings, then went to do the back; only to find that there were none to replace. Can you please let me know what you ended up doing, as far as installing one?

·
Registered
8 Posts
They all came with one. The end links have a tenancy to break due to rust. Maybe your bar is still tucked up there. Maybe the previous owner removed it.
I didn't see anything dangling or tucked up there. No remnants of the "top halves" of the stabilizer links, which I would be thrilled to find (because they'd be attached to the sway bar I was hunting). I'll look up there again, just in case! After that, I'll check salvage yards or at least price one out at the local dealership. If you have any suggestions for a source, they will be welcome.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Couple base owners have found no rear sway bar - no idea why but its not a big deal to install one. I've replaced both the front and rear with upgrades - neither was too difficult. You can see my thread started here about options besides the UltraRacing rear bar. The upgraded 32mm front and the 25mm rear rear have been one of the best suspension upgrades I recommend.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I didn't see anything dangling or tucked up there. No remnants of the "top halves" of the stabilizer links, which I would be thrilled to find (because they'd be attached to the sway bar I was hunting). I'll look up there again, just in case! After that, I'll check salvage yards or at least price one out at the local dealership. If you have any suggestions for a source, they will be welcome.
I am fairly certain that ALL RAV4's came from the factory with a rear sway bar. Seems like this could be something that people have removed. I suspect that the end links break, and rather than replacing the links, the owners (or the shops) just remove the bar. It is tucked pretty well up and away. Here is a picture of the rear bar. If you want to replace yours the parts are fairly cheap. I just looked up a bunch of part new and used on ebay. Part list would include:
-Rear sway bar (#11)
-2 bushings (#12)
-2 bushing caps/retaining brackets (#13)
-4 bolts/or nuts on studs
-2 end link sets. (#14)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm back to post another question in the forum, but saw this one and will close it out. I found a rear stabilizer bar from an auto salvage yard, but replaced the bushings and brackets with new parts. Funny thing was that there were nuts already sitting on the threaded rod/bolts, so it was nothing to take off, clean threads, and reinstall. I truly believe the vehicle handles better in curves, as much as people may say they can't tell a difference. Thank you for the imagery posted. Warning: do NOT go by the Chilton repair manual to do this job. NO parts need to be removed prior; just back the vehicle up on ramps so you have more space to work.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts