Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well 2017 not off to the best start. Just got my 2002 Rav fixed up with tires and shocks/struts for my daughter's first car. Then oil pressure light flashes, then eventually went on solid. Then Check Engine light. So I get it towed to my mechanic. Initially he says the check engine code is for a faulty Camshaft Position Sensor and he would try an oil change to see if that affected the Oil Pressure. Well got a call from him on Friday, that the Cam Shaft Error is clear, but cannot get the Oil Pressure problem solved. Says it is low for sure and comes up when accelerating the engine. Said the only thing left in the tech info is to check the oil pan screen for debris and if not that, then I will need a new engine. I trust him as he has been my mechanic for awhile, but the car has run great. Had not symptoms leading up to now and oil has always been maintained.

I am wondering if I should take it to the Dealer for a second opinion? It has 137, 000 miles on it, but is in great shape otherwise. I do not see the connection between the Camshaft sensor and the low oil pressure. Painful thing is all the money I just put into if for tires, etc.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Dave...

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
If the mechanic hasn't done so already, he should have tested the oil pressure with an actual oil pressure gauge as the oil pressure sensor which activates the dash warning light may be faulty, rather than running the engine as was described. If there is an oil pressure problem running the engine obviously would been damaging. If the pressure actually was low when checked with an oil pressure gauge the oil pump screen should have been checked, and if no problem was found there, then the oil pump itself most likely is the problem and should be replaced. Hopefully a new engine won't be necessary.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
update

Well my mechanic did drop the oil pan and check the pickup tube screen. It was clogged pretty bad. Good news it has fixed the issues, bad news is he said it had a lot of metal shavings in it and no guarantee how long it is gonna last. We have never missed an oil change, so not sure where or when it could have occurred. We did buy it used, so hard to know what may have happened in the first 80K. I am hoping that if it took 3 years to get clogged, I can get a couple years out of it.

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
Any idea if the metal shavings were magnetic? If not they are probably Babbitt from the main and connecting rod bearings which it may be possible to replace w/o removing the engine.

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
Does the mechanic have any idea about what metal the shavings are made of (Dr. Dyno's suggestion would help)? Presumably along with cleaning the oil pump screen the engine oil and filter have been changed. What does the engine sound like when it is running- are there any strange thumping noises, or does it sound like an engine normally sounds? At idle and with the engine oil warmed after a drive of a few miles or so, does the engine oil warning lamp remain off? If all of that is OK then if it were my vehicle I most likely would continue to drive it as is. If the engine then begins to emit strange noises then I would have some diagnostic work done, including a compression check. If the compression is OK then the noise might be caused by worn engine piston connecting rod and engine bearings and I would have the oil pan removed and one or two bearings checked for wear, and if so, replaced. Ordinarily an engine with 137,000 miles on it should be good for many more miles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts