Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 1996 2door RAV4 and would like to know how I can tell if I have an Old Man EMU lift kit. The only identifications I can find are on the rear shocks (OLD MAN ENU ome031 A25JL12) Although these are ENU shocks I am not sure they would only be used on a lifted vehicle. All four coil springs seem to have a black plastic coating. I cannot see the front strut other than they have a blue rubber boot around them.Does anyone know how to identify the springs and struts? Thanks for your help!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
'99 RAV4.1, 3MZ-FE, E250F 4x4, Torsen Dif
2,163 Posts
Most likely you have a OME lift kit, sitting that high with 29" tires. The OME springs are heavier duty than stock, and are well protected with a black coating of??? You may find some small paper tags with the part numbers on the springs.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I too have the 235-70-r16's with no rubbing at all, but mine has the factory lift with no aftermarket parts. It's not a dealer-installed lift, but rather was done on the assembly line. It can be tricky to get this all figured out.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I know only one shock company that use blue rubber boots: Bilstein.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank again for all your input. Just want to update and fill in info that I have. I am not new to 4-wheeling but am new to the RAV4. I bought the RAV4 from a dealer who said there is no lift kit on this vehicle. This was the only 4 wheel drive on his lot. I don't believe he was very knowledgeable with 4 wheelers. It would be a giant plus if this vehicle already has the 1.5 inch lift. I would really like to know what I have. I have not been able to find any tags on the springs. I am a fairly hefty person being 5'8" and 200lbs, but able to slide underneath the vehicle easily. The A-arms seem to have neoprene bushing because they are red. There are stainless steel brake hoses also. I have included photos of front and rear halfshafts, is the angle look to be normal or are they angle more than normal which would indicate the vehicle is lifted. Any info would be appreciated. I have a new toy. THANKS GUYS

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Maybe check the factory specifications regarding ground clearance then measure your vehicle.
Compare them and you'll have your answer.

Not sure why you need to know if it is lifted or not to decide if you want to lift it? I mean if it is good to you at the height it is, then leave alone. If you want it higher, well, go higher.

Sounds like you're knowledgeable about 4 wheeling so......???

·
Premium Member
'99 RAV4.1, 3MZ-FE, E250F 4x4, Torsen Dif
2,163 Posts
The springs look like my OME springs, you also have a rear torsion bar and air levelers, awesome. You may have gotten one sweet deal out of it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Your Rav4 makes me drool. I hope to one day find one from a dealership. And you got one with a lift kit already installed. What luck!!!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Is there a reason why I can't see any attached thumbnails bigger (on every thread of this forum) when clicking on it?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,894 Posts
Is there a reason why I can't see any attached thumbnails bigger (on every thread of this forum) when clicking on it?
Disable any ad blocker or pop-up blocker on your browser.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everybody for all your comments. I have come to believe I lucked out and have a lifted RAV4. My main purpose for getting the vehicle was to be my toad. I will be towing it behind my 4x4 conversion camping van. I needed a light weight vehicle that I could use for some light exploring and be able to tow it easily. This seems to fit my purpose. I search for able 3 months for a vehicle that had very little to no rust. With its history report it spent almost all of its life in Arizona. Next week I will be trying it out on a short camping trip. I have changed all of its fluids, prepared it for towing, and changed most of its lighting to LEDs. It is not a perfect vehicle, it has a minor issue with a minor engine oil leak. I have changed the valve cover gasket with no luck. The next step is to change the oil pan gasket, but this requires dropping the exhaust. The exhaust bolts are the worst corroded bolts on the vehicle. I have one major future problem that I see and that is the clutch. It does not slip but it engages near the top of the pedal travel. To change the clutch the whole engine and transmission has to be removed from the bottom. Overall I am very much pleased with my buy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts