Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to connect my dashcam via the 12v cigarette lighter port. I was wondering if I would have to recharge the battery somehow. Or does it recharge by itself when the vehicle is moving? Also, is the auxiliary vehicle responsible for starting the vehicle and operating the lights and other accessories or does the hybrid battery do it? Thanks.

·
Registered
289 Posts
The 12v cigarette lighter port won't supply power when engine stops so nothing to do with the charging. Batteries will be charged while engine starts. As long as you can start your vehicle, no worries.

·
Registered
2919 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package built June 20
928 Posts
The hybrid battery charges the 12v. The 12v operates the accessories and, in response to the start button, powers up the computer to send a signal to the hybrid battery to start the ICE. The 12v doesn't start the ICE but initiates a sequence which starts the car which starts the ICE if necessary. The ICE charges the hybrid battery.

So if you intend the dash cam for operating only while you are driving and not while the car is powered off, OK. If while parked (like Tesla), Nope.

·
Registered
167 Posts
So if you intend the dash cam for operating only while you are driving and not while the car is powered off, OK. If while parked (like Tesla), Nope.
You can operate a dashcam with parking mode if you get a parking kit. The one I have taps into two circuits, one that is 12v always and one that is 12v with ignition, so it knows if the vehicle is running or not. If the ignition is off, it draws power from the 12v battery until the voltage drops below a certain threshold, then it shuts off the dashcam to prevent battery drain. I've been operating with a setup like this for several months without issue, even through the cold months. No dead battery here.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Zeniq,

How many hours are you getting with parking mode and are you running 2 cameras?

You can operate a dashcam with parking mode if you get a parking kit. The one I have taps into two circuits, one that is 12v always and one that is 12v with ignition, so it knows if the vehicle is running or not. If the ignition is off, it draws power from the 12v battery until the voltage drops below a certain threshold, then it shuts off the dashcam to prevent battery drain. I've been operating with a setup like this for several months without issue, even through the cold months. No dead battery here.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Zeniq,

How many hours are you getting with parking mode and are you running 2 cameras?
I wanted to give you a solid answer, so I went out to grab the SD card and found that parking mode at some point disabled itself. I don't know when that happened, but it was some time since before early March. 😓 Check your dashcams regularly, folks.

Anyway, when I first installed this thing months ago, the camera was recording overnight in a low-bitrate mode without running the battery dead. That's with a single dashcam operating in dual channel mode (front and rear cameras). I use the Viofo A129 wifi duo.

If you want some harder data, I can check back in a day or so. With the stay-home orders as they are, I haven't been driving anywhere, so it will stay in parking mode til the voltage drops to the cutoff point.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Thanks for the reply. My concern is with the small aux battery. Too bad the purpose built dash cam batteries are so expensive because in our case with the small hybrid 12 volt, we really need it.

I wanted to give you a solid answer, so I went out to grab the SD card and found that parking mode at some point disabled itself. I don't know when that happened, but it was some time since before early March. 😓 Check your dashcams regularly, folks.

Anyway, when I first installed this thing months ago, the camera was recording overnight in a low-bitrate mode without running the battery dead. That's with a single camera operating in dual channel mode (front and rear cameras).

If you want some harder data, I can check back in a day or so. With the stay-home orders as they are, I haven't been driving anywhere, so it will stay in parking mode til the voltage drops to the cutoff point.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thanks for the reply. My concern is with the small aux battery. Too bad the purpose built dash cam batteries are so expensive because in our case with the small hybrid 12 volt, we really need it.
Hi,

Sorry for the long delay, I haven't been thinking about the car much since I've been at home.

After reconfiguring parking mode earlier this month, I did go for one or two longer drives which would have recharged the 12v battery. In one case it recorded seamlessly in parking mode for at least 26 hours before being driven again (the earlier footage was overwritten so I don't know when the start was), while in another instance it only recorded for 17 hours before stopping on its own, probably because the battery voltage dropped. Regardless, I've never had an issue with the battery being dead with the dashcam even with parking mode enabled, although it seems like the amount of time the battery can support before the parking kit cuts off the cam is pretty variable. It seems fine for most short duration parking jobs, or a day in a work parking lot.

This is with the camera constantly recording in low bitrate mode while parked. If you set it to record on motion or on an detected event, it would probably be able to go even longer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts