Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I carelessly scratched two of my wheels of my 2016 rav4 hybrid ltd and end up buying to take off OEM wheels as replacement as they are not much more expensive than touch ups (assuming I could sell the old ones).See http://www.rav4world.com/forums/125-4-4-exterior/237474-take-off-wheels.html

Now I am going to have them installed along with a set of Mechline premier ltx (got them for 736) at discount tire. The guys there talked me about making my old wheels into a full size spare. Initially I was very excited about this idea but after some researches I became hesitated.

First thing is that if I am going to store a full size spare in my trunk I would need a raised deck board and it's not available in the States. Secondly I would need to include the full spare into my rotation and obviously get the same tire for it to match the tread. This would cost a bit of a fortune. Some other impacts include less cargo space and lower MPG but I guess I don't care that much

Now with all these costs in mind, Do I really need a full size spare? It's just my first vehicle but I have never heard anyone that I know had a flat. I don't think I would go off road with it either. Is a full size spare more of a things of the past?

Your opinions will be appreciated.

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
The important requirement is that the spare wheel and tire be the same diameter as the road wheels and tires in an AWD vehicle. Since the spare is for only occasional use the width of the tire and wheel aren't important. The OEM spare which is included with the vehicle is all that is needed.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Last week I carelessly scratched two of my wheels of my 2016 rav4 hybrid ltd and end up buying to take off OEM wheels as replacement as they are not much more expensive than touch ups (assuming I could sell the old ones).See http://www.rav4world.com/forums/125-4-4-exterior/237474-take-off-wheels.html

Now I am going to have them installed along with a set of Mechline premier ltx (got them for 736) at discount tire. The guys there talked me about making my old wheels into a full size spare. Initially I was very excited about this idea but after some researches I became hesitated.

First thing is that if I am going to store a full size spare in my trunk I would need a raised deck board and it's not available in the States. Secondly I would need to include the full spare into my rotation and obviously get the same tire for it to match the tread. This would cost a bit of a fortune. Some other impacts include less cargo space and lower MPG but I guess I don't care that much

Now with all these costs in mind, Do I really need a full size spare? It's just my first vehicle but I have never heard anyone that I know had a flat. I don't think I would go off road with it either. Is a full size spare more of a things of the past?

Your opinions will be appreciated.
If you are going with a full size spare, don't even bother including it in the rotation. Back in the old days, it was tire on plain rims with hub caps and in the rotation using the spare tire, all you had to do was put the hub cap on that rim.

As a spare only, the tire tread is not that important IF you are temporarily using it as a spare with the premise that you are going to fix/replace the flat as soon as possible. Plus you won't have to match all 5 rims either.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Too late now, but you could've Plasti-Dipped your rims to hide the scratches, but you would've had to Plasti-Dipped all 4 rims to make them match.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you are going with a full size spare, don't even bother including it in the rotation. Back in the old days, it was tire on plain rims with hub caps and in the rotation using the spare tire, all you had to do was put the hub cap on that rim.

As a spare only, the tire tread is not that important IF you are temporarily using it as a spare with the premise that you are going to fix/replace the flat as soon as possible. Plus you won't have to match all 5 rims either.

Sure I could imagine that you don't need to rotate the spare if your plan is to just use them temporarily. However for that I would say a compact spare should be pretty enough.Yes a full size spare could be driven longer and won't interfere normal operations like the compact one, but you still need to drive to a tire shop ASAP. That limited convenience for a rare incident isn't worth the hassle to get the non-US deck board. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The important requirement is that the spare wheel and tire be the same diameter as the road wheels and tires in an AWD vehicle. Since the spare is for only occasional use the width of the tire and wheel aren't important. The OEM spare which is included with the vehicle is all that is needed.

I don't know about the RAV4 OEM spare in UK. But here in US the spare IS smaller than the other wheels/tires.

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
I don't know about the RAV4 OEM spare in UK. But here in US the spare IS smaller than the other wheels/tires.

I don't have a 4.4 RAV but don't see how the spare could be smaller in diameter (it's obviously thinner, as is the spare on my wire's CR-V) than the normal road wheels without damaging the drive train, especially on AWD vehicles. Is the spare supplied with FWD 4.4 RAVs different from that on AWD RAVs?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't have a 4.4 RAV but don't see how the spare could be smaller in diameter (it's obviously thinner, as is the spare on my wire's CR-V) than the normal road wheels without damaging the drive train, especially on AWD vehicles. Is the spare supplied with FWD 4.4 RAVs different from that on AWD RAVs?
After consulting the owner’s manual, found that standard tire is 235/55R18, while spare is 165/80R17. That would be 0.8'' difference in diameter. It's also mentioned that on compact spare the speedometer could malfunction, which suggests the size difference.

FYI I have a 2016 hybrid ltd which is AWD.

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
After consulting the owner’s manual, found that standard tire is 235/55R18, while spare is 165/80R17. That would be 0.8'' difference in diameter. It's also mentioned that on compact spare the speedometer could malfunction, which suggests the size difference.

FYI I have a 2016 hybrid ltd which is AWD.
Thanks - interesting info! With the 4.3s (except those with the SAP, which have run flats) the spare is the same size and diameter as the road wheels, and in general we are told not to use wheels and tires which aren't the same diameter as the road wheels since to do so could result in drive train damage.

·
Super Moderator
10,132 Posts
Thanks - interesting info! With the 4.3s (except those with the SAP, which have run flats) the spare is the same size and diameter as the road wheels, and in general we are told not to use wheels and tires which aren't the same diameter as the road wheels since to do so could result in drive train damage.
The Hybrid uses only electric drive to the rear wheels with no mechanical connection to the front drivetrain so the only possible negative effect of a different size spare would be the speedometer firmware getting confused by the different speed of that wheel. Of course if the spare was used on the front the differential would operate as if the car was always cornering. But that happens on all FWD cars with smaller spares.

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
The Hybrid uses only electric drive to the rear wheels with no mechanical connection to the front drivetrain so the only possible negative effect of a different size spare would be the speedometer firmware getting confused by the different speed of that wheel. Of course if the spare was used on the front the differential would operate as if the car was always cornering. But that happens on all FWD cars with smaller spares.

Yeah, I figured that out from the OP's response to my comment and from doing some additional research. Interesting information!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts