Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone sahre some knowledge?

I recently took my 96 rav to the mechanic, for general service, and he said that I should think about a new exhaust. He said mine was in bad condition.

When i looked, the thing looked fine ...

When do I know that it is time for a new exhaust?

If i do it, whould I benefit from installing other things realted to the exhaust while im at it?

Thanks

·
Registered
80 Posts
My rule of thumb: If you have a stock exhaust on, and it sound louder than usual (like you have an aftermarket exhaust), the you might have a hole in the piping and you need to get it replaced.

I was told, though, by the pros who installed my ehaust, that the stock Toyota one can last for a long time.

As it goes for installing everything else involved with the exhaust, if you can afford it, go with it. You can check out my install and mensajero's install, along with everyone elses ones, just to get ideas on the set up.

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
When you see rust and like cracked rust pealing off. These are signs that pipe will pop open and make a horrible sound. Watch also for brown freckles from heat and debilitating rust. The acids will cored the pipe and crack it. With this sound, you will collect tickets like at Indy 500 on a rainy day.

The experience I have with my exhaust was that it looked like it was bent with a hammer. :shock: It had a lot of unnecessary bends. In one area it was almost flat, in the area where supposedly the rear axle is. [Mine is 2WD] Also, it was hanging too low. As a matter of fact, almost all Toyotas have their pipes hanging. Corollas, Camry’s, RAV4s. Once you open up with a 2.25 + pipe. The difference is from the earth to the sky. More power, better economy of gas [for the same way you drive]

One thing I’m going to try is DEI rap on my pipes. I already rapped my Header. Man, it works, it goes a little extra power. :wink: I’ll install them Friday afternoon. I’ll try to have shoots of it ASAP.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
chacalon said:

I recently took my 96 RAV to the mechanic, for general service, and he said that I should think about a new exhaust. He said mine was in bad condition.

If i do it, whould I benefit from installing other things realted to the exhaust while im at it?

Thanks
You can easily get 10 years out of a toyota exhaust (2 years out of an aftermarket that rust from inside)

The bit that tends to go is the flexible bit in the front section .... If you can't feel this blowing on your hand you're OK

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
ag0w said:
chacalon said:

I recently took my 96 RAV to the mechanic, for general service, and he said that I should think about a new exhaust. He said mine was in bad condition.

Thanks
You can easily get 10 years out of a toyota exhaust (2 years out of an aftermarket that rust from inside)

The bit that tends to go is the flexible bit in the front section .... If you can't feel this blowing on your hand you're OK
really

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mensajero said:
Yes I'd never buy anything other than manufacturer exhausts.

I must say when I mean aftermarket don't last long I mean the sort of stuff you get from a tyre and battery depot - I have no experince of how lon performance exhausts like Blitz last

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
One thing that I notice from Toyota. They are in the business of making money. All parts on their vehicles are pretty good. I guess their dependability speaks for itself.

That said, aftermarket parts are another story. It all depends which premuim parts to pick and install. They can last more then the OEM. If you buy a set of spark plug wires from Nology for instance. The retail for $179.00. http://www.eautoworks.com/ORD-1-1-1-32587.cfm . For NGK or Bosch go for $29.00 to $46.00. https://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/mfr,NGK,Ignition,7228,Spark+Plug+Wire+Set . Of course you do whatever your wallet can hold. The bottom line is this.

You get what you pay for. :wink:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
The HKS exhaust on my RAV is definitely better quality (full stainless steel) than the factory exhaust that was replaced. Having obtained it from eBay for about $100 USD was cheaper than buying the OEM replacement from Toyota. Another benefit is more power!!!! :D

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Thanks Derek, there you go. Also check the Toyota manual and check when it's time to change your parts. I decided to change my muffler because the booklet says at 60,000 miles. Right now, it has 60,009 miles. Your RAV4 is a diehard vehicle; it even tells you when to change your OEM parts. Step up; help it out with premium parts. It will last forever. 8)

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
mensajero said:
When you see rust and like cracked rust pealing off. These are signs that pipe will pop open and make a horrible sound. Watch also for brown freckles from heat and debilitating rust. The acids will cored the pipe and crack it. With this sound, you will collect tickets like at Indy 500 on a rainy day.

The experience I have with my exhaust was that it looked like it was bent with a hammer. :shock: It had a lot of unnecessary bends. In one area it was almost flat, in the area where supposedly the rear axle is. [Mine is 2WD] Also, it was hanging too low. As a matter of fact, almost all Toyotas have their pipes hanging. Corollas, Camry’s, RAV4s. Once you open up with a 2.25 + pipe. The difference is from the earth to the sky. More power, better economy of gas [for the same way you drive]

One thing I’m going to try is DEI rap on my pipes. I already rapped my Header. Man, it works, it goes a little extra power. :wink: I’ll install them Friday afternoon. I’ll try to have shoots of it ASAP.

BTW, DONE!

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
great, i am in good to go then like i suspected then, no need for a new one, however i do like the sound of more power and better fuel efficiency....how should I go about achieving this...what should I install first/last? would it be expensive?

excuse my complete lack of knowledge on the subject.

Thanks

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
chacalon said:
great, i am in good to go then like i suspected then, no need for a new one, however i do like the sound of more power and better fuel efficiency....how should I go about achieving this...what should I install first/last? would it be expensive?

excuse my complete lack of knowledge on the subject.

Thanks
I guess the first thing you should do is install the header. Then from there you can work yourself back towards the muffler. Check your RAV4 manual and mileage. See if and what is suppose to be inspected and/or changed. You can use it as a guide. Now, if you really want to power up your RAV4. That is another story. Depending on your budget. You can go from mild to wild in a hurry. It's up to you. :wink:

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess the first thing you should do is install the header. Then from there you can work yourself back towards the muffler. Check your RAV4 manual and mileage. See if and what is suppose to be inspected and/or changed. You can use it as a guide. Now, if you really want to power up your RAV4. That is another story. Depending on your budget. You can go from mild to wild in a hurry. It's up to you.
Thanks man,

It is of great help....I would say that with a modest budget i would try to go as wild as it allows, which will probably end up more on the mild side, but its a start.

Thanks

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Well chacalon that is what I'm doing. I'm on the mild side for the moment. But I do have my eyes on a 3sgte from Toysport.com. I guess from EBay is not a very health choice regarding the engines durability. Of course I'd have to open the engine and check it anyway. Keep in touch, God save the Queen.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It has been a while, but when I replaced the exhaust for my 2door 1996 RAV4, there was a change notice required. The new exhaust pipe had a different shape. Too long ago (3 years) to remember the details.

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
jimc said:
It has been a while, but when I replaced the exhaust for my 2door 1996 RAV4, there was a change notice required.
Hello Jim (long time no see :) ) Might the change notice have been this ---> http://rav4world.com/tsb/EG006-98.pdf

I'm still running the oem stock exhaust on my 1996 2DR/4WD. Will be hitting 150,000 in a few days :shock:

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Derek said:
The HKS exhaust on my RAV is definitely better quality (full stainless steel) than the factory exhaust that was replaced. Having obtained it from eBay for about $100 USD was cheaper than buying the OEM replacement from Toyota. Another benefit is more power!!!! :D

nice exhaust ,is it catback or muffler only? does it sound louder than the oem or just the same? coz i dont want noisy mufflers hehe
how much does the new one cost?
thanks

are there any other brand that fits gen1 rav? thanks

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Waz, the HKS sport exhaust is muffler only. If you have an early 4.1 ('96 - '97) it will bolt right on. If you have a later 4.1 ('98 - '00), then you will definitely need to take it to an exhaust shop to get some custom brackets and re-routing of the pipes. I have a 1998 RAV4 and had to have it professionally installed. As you can see from my pict., I had the shop re-route the pipes through the rear differential framework.

As for sound, yes, the HKS is definitely louder than stock. Is it annoyingly loud; that depends upon your perception of loud. There are many other mufflers that I've heard on the streets which are noticeably louder and quite annoying. :? I would say the HKS has a distinctive yet pleasant tone. It has also mellowed a bit over time, and now I enjoy hearing the exhaust bellow when accelerating. :D

As for the cost of a new one, I believe they are in the $350 - $450 range, so getting mines for $100 on eBay was quite a bargain.

I can only think of one other brand that fits our gen. of RAVs, that is the Bosal exhaust. They look like factory exhaust systems and are cat back. Don't know how it sounds like though. Hope this helps.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts