Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping somebody can help with figuring out if certain repairs are needed. I have a 2006 RAV4 4cyl with 188,000 miles. It is at the dealer right now to get the warranty repair because it failed the oil consumption test. The dealership just called me and told me the following parts have wear and tear and they suggest replacing them now because the car is already torn apart and it would save me a lot in labor.

water pump $240
oil pump $300
oil pump tensioner $133
timing chain guide $144
timing chain $255
timing chain tensioner $105
serpentine belt $119
serpentine belt tensioner $260
valve job cylinder head $500

I have had no problems with my car. I have never replaced any of these before. The car is not worth very much and I don't know how much longer I will be driving this. Are these repairs smart moves or is the dealer just looking to make some money off of my warranty repair. Thank you for your help!

·
Super Moderator
10,134 Posts
I have a 2006 RAV4 4cyl with 188,000 miles. .... the car is already torn apart and it would save me a lot in labor.

I have had no problems with my car. I have never replaced any of these before. The car is not worth very much and I don't know how much longer I will be driving this.
My math comes to $2056. The prices are 3X what you'd pay on reliable sites such as RockAuto.com. I'd bet a bunch of labor is hidden in those quotes. To find out ask what the extra cost would be if you brought in the parts. They'll probably say they won't use aftermarket parts. Then say you'd supply genuine Toyota parts.

If they are playing games I'd do NONE of it. And even if you could get the prices down, doing it all won't increase the value of the car more than $100 if you decide to sell at say 200K.

Reactions: jrmjames67

·
Registered
126 Posts
Sounds like a typical dealer scam to part you with your money. If it needs fixing, a reputable independent shop would give you better pricing. Check yelp and AAA for reputable shops.

·
Super Moderator
11,105 Posts
With 188K on the clock those suggestions, especially the water pump and cylinder head, make great sense to me and it is likely time to replace/repair them. Now the prices? That's another thing. How long do you plan to keep the car? If it's forever then it may, just may, be worth it.

Has the transmission been serviced on a regular basis? Any other problems at that mileage? I bet there are some. How does it look inside and out? Are you going to get it fixed and sell it or trade it?

Lots of questions must be answered by you to provide a good answer to your questions above.

If you are strapped but can afford two grand to put the engine in like new shape (all else considered working well) then it could be worth it. If it needs front end work, shocks, tires, and more, then get the freebie and get rid of the car.

·
Super Moderator
10,134 Posts
With 188K on the clock.....

If you are strapped but can afford two grand to put the engine in like new shape (all else considered working well) then it could be worth it. If it needs front end work, shocks, tires, and more, then get the freebie and get rid of the car.
IMO it might easily suck up $4-5K trying to make the whole car new by fixing everything on it. Problem is you can't (at least legally) fix the number on the odometer. That money could go a long way toward the next car.

Let them repair the engine and drive it a little while longer. Those "worn" parts could last another 40-50K.

·
Super Moderator
11,105 Posts
Good point but there are still a lot of questions to be asked as to what has been done up to this point including how long the owner wants to keep it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I would tell the dealer to stick it!!! Those are outrageous prices...get it fixed and sell it...get 4-5 grand for it...add that 2 grand in and buy something else...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts