Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Do I really need a fuel injection service/air induction service?

3682 Views 44 Replies 25 Participants Last post by  kerz
Just moved to WA state from CA and took my 2020 Rav4 hybrid to the dealership for the warranty-covered 3k oil change. Mileage is about 38k. Always had good service from my CA dealership but took things into the WA dealership and after the oil change, they recommended a "threeway" fuel injection service that includes an air induction service (cleans the fuel rail and throttle body). The whole thing is a $360 service plus a recommended $190 brake fluid flush, plus a recommended $1230 tire mount wheel balance service. Now granted, I have put in at least 10 round trip long-distance drives between San Jose-Seattle since I bought the car and also I'm just hitting snow season so perhaps salt and crud is beginning to build up re: throttle body - but are these reasonable reccs or dealership marketing?
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
2,441 Posts
Dump a can of Techron fuel treatment into the gas tank. That will help clean both injectors and the valve. There are two injectors per cylinder, the one above the valve and the one in the cylinder.. I Think it maybe cost me $6 or so. Put one in this weekend at 25k miles. Your trips are the easiest on a car. Not like my 4 miles to the grocery today.

· Registered
254 Posts
The fuel service is worth doing as our little motors are direct injection GDI
The rest are up sell items unless you really need tires and at 38K you probably do

🤔

Powering the 2020 Toyota RAV4 is a 2.5-liter Dynamic Force four-cylinder engine with DOHC 16-valve with D-4S Dual Injection and Dual Variable Valve Timing with intelligence. This engine produces up to 203 horsepower and 184 lb-ft of torque.
Seems like "oil change" interval would be more important as a measure of services that should be performed.

· Super Moderator
12,896 Posts
Follow the service schedule in the owner's manual. I highly doubt those items are listed for 38K.
They're trying to set you up for regular overselling.
You may need tires but I'd definitely get them somewhere else.
And find another dealer. Maybe ask your CA dealer for a recommendation.

· Registered
307 Posts
Do you still have your California license plates on the vehicle? If so, get rid of them ASAP and get Washington plates......

My dealer's service dept. (in WA near Portland), always seems to try to up-sell me something. As Dr. Dyno says "follow the service schedule in the owner's manual"......

· Registered
3,511 Posts
Here's a good video explanation of the induction cleaning service:

· Registered
2020 RAV4 Hybrid LE
613 Posts
The fuel service is worth doing as our little motors are direct injection GDI
The rest are up sell items unless you really need tires and at 38K you probably do
It’s port and direct inject and D4S has a self-cleaning cycle to eliminate carbon buildup issues. This isn’t comparable and is superior to standard GDI systems. It simply isn’t worth it on these engines, as there’s no history of common direct injection issues.

· Registered
373 Posts
If it has done 10 round trip long-distance drives between San Jose-Seattle, then most likely there is no need for an fuel induction service. Your valves and pistons must be pretty much free from carbon buildup. Brake fluid flush is a good idea since you are coming up to your 3rd year, but check for moisture in your brake fluid.

· Registered
2021 RAV4 XLE Premium Hybrid
2,235 Posts
Just moved to WA state from CA and took my 2020 Rav4 hybrid to the dealership for the warranty-covered 3k oil change. Mileage is about 38k. Always had good service from my CA dealership but took things into the WA dealership and after the oil change, they recommended a "threeway" fuel injection service that includes an air induction service (cleans the fuel rail and throttle body). The whole thing is a $360 service plus a recommended $190 brake fluid flush, plus a recommended $1230 tire mount wheel balance service. Now granted, I have put in at least 10 round trip long-distance drives between San Jose-Seattle since I bought the car and also I'm just hitting snow season so perhaps salt and crud is beginning to build up re: throttle body - but are these reasonable reccs or dealership marketing?
All those are upsell to make money for the dealer; none are needed except for the tires depending on the tread depth left.

If you use Top Tier Gas, as recommended by the owners manual, you should never need any cleaning service. Top Tier Gas has more cleaners in it than any government requirement.

· Registered
9,928 Posts
The fuel/induction service is an unneeded dealer service upsell designed to increase their profit margin. As Dr. Dyno and others suggest, follow the service recommendations n the Service booklet. Dealer service writers generally receive commissions on the services which they can bamboozle the customer into accepting.

Reactions: Keith_A

· Registered
13 Posts
When I brought my xle in for 15k mile free service and could not believe they called me to get my fuel injection cleaned dealer in Rockland NY, I MEAN COME ON AT 15K . brand new car I just started laughing.I will use the dealer for covered service and warranties but they are so over priced with service charges and things you don't need find a local mechanic and stick with him and like it was said above stick to the recommended service by the owners manual .They also told me they could change my cabin air filter for $109 , ( $15 filter on amazon and 30 seconds to put in myself )

· Registered
373 Posts
It depends. My 2018 RAV4 (PFI) was not driven in the highway and at $20K the engine developed a knocking sound during start up. It would go away after warm up. I took it to the dealership. They found carbon buildup using a boroscope. They performed some cleaning service and got rid of the loose carbon. The noise (carbon knock) went away.

· Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
2,441 Posts
The PFI in addition to DFI was introduced to directly address the issue that DFI only engines were having with carbon build up on the valves and valve seats. My understanding is this design squirts gas into the intake port just ahead of the valve causing gas with its additives to wash against the back of the valve and the edge of the valve port and then squirt from another injector directly into the cylinder after the valve has closed. All electronically controlled as the piston and valves move.

If you are using cheap gas, add some fuel system cleaner into the gas tank every once in a while. If you are using top-tier gas, maybe needed less frequently.

My frequency (25k) is based on using Murphy Mart (Walmart) gas.

PFI = Port Fuel Injection
DFI = Direct Fuel Injection

· Super Moderator
12,896 Posts
It depends. My 2018 RAV4 (PFI) was not driven in the highway and at 20K the engine developed a knocking sound during start up. It would go away after warm up. I took it to the dealership. They found carbon buildup using a borescope. They performed some cleaning service and got rid of the loose carbon. The noise (carbon knock) went away.
This is an issue I'd never have but then my job is running Harleys up to their rev limiters at about 140 mph on a dyno. And on cars I tend to push the pedal on the right right to the floor quite often.

But your dealer did the diagnosis and treatment correctly. They heard the knock, you described your driving habits, they suspected and checked for carbon and then cleaned it out. (I bet they also took it for a spirited test ride too.)

If you ever get to Connecticut I'll do a free carbon cleaning for you. But then you'd have to go on the highway to do that so go back to the dealer at 40K.

· Super Moderator
12,896 Posts
Dealer service writers generally receive commissions on the services which they can bamboozle the customer into accepting.
Best word I think I've ever read on the forums - BAMBOOZLE (y) ;):rolleyes:

· Registered
373 Posts
If you ever get to Connecticut I'll do a free carbon cleaning for you. But then you'd have to go on the highway to do that so go back to the dealer at 40K.
I now have a 2020 RAV4 Hybrid and I started to hear some of the same carbon knock, so I took it to the highway last weekend and drove for 4 hours at 80 mph. The loud carbon knock has practically disappeared and when I hear something, it is pretty quiet, but I am going to try another 4 hour drive this weekend to see if I can push it all out. Do I still need a cleaning or can a long drive do the trick?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts