Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

· Registered
2021 RAV4 XLE Hybrid
204 Posts
Brake fluid flush is an important but often overlooked service. The only owners manual that I have seen it specified was for a 1984 Mercedes 300TD. I’ve replaced brake cylinders due to rust and corrosion. If there was flushing done the cylinders probably would have been fine.

In theory old brake fluid attracts moisture that could cause loss of braking performance under extreme circumstances because the moisture boils. In reality I doubt that there could ever be enough heat buildup for this to happen.

· Registered
22 Posts
Just moved to WA state from CA and took my 2020 Rav4 hybrid to the dealership for the warranty-covered 3k oil change. Mileage is about 38k. Always had good service from my CA dealership but took things into the WA dealership and after the oil change, they recommended a "threeway" fuel injection service that includes an air induction service (cleans the fuel rail and throttle body). The whole thing is a $360 service plus a recommended $190 brake fluid flush, plus a recommended $1230 tire mount wheel balance service. Now granted, I have put in at least 10 round trip long-distance drives between San Jose-Seattle since I bought the car and also I'm just hitting snow season so perhaps salt and crud is beginning to build up re: throttle body - but are these reasonable reccs or dealership marketing?
Read your maintenance manual and know when service comes due and follow that. You can buy a tire depth gauge and check your own tires and shop for deals. I always stick to why I took it there in the first place and they can list what it needs on the work ticket. My first response to add on service is no, no and no.
scamp

· Registered
2020 XSE
241 Posts
Brake fluid flush is an important but often overlooked service. The only owners manual that I have seen it specified was for a 1984 Mercedes 300TD. I’ve replaced brake cylinders due to rust and corrosion. If there was flushing done the cylinders probably would have been fine.

In theory old brake fluid attracts moisture that could cause loss of braking performance under extreme circumstances because the moisture boils. In reality I doubt that there could ever be enough heat buildup for this to happen.
Just buy a brake fluid tester if there is now water in the fluid there is no need to change it.

· Registered
2021 RAV4 XLE Hybrid
204 Posts
Just buy a brake fluid tester if there is now water in the fluid there is no need to change it.
Perhaps. If the sample in the top of the reservoir is representative of the entire system. If moisture is the only contamination of concern. Water tends to fall to the lowest point. Moisture can permeate through the rubber hoses and rubber at the calipers and wouldn’t make it to the reservoir. Every time I have rebuilt a cylinder there was black particles there. May be particles from rubber wear. Flushing would help remove it.

· Registered
2021 XSE Hybrid, Blizzard Pearl
93 Posts
if you are really that concerned about the carbon build up and going spend $300+ for a fuel injector flush i would recommend just doing a walnut blasting on the valves instead. or the good old sea foam method through the intake.

· Registered
76 Posts
Do you still have your California license plates on the vehicle? If so, get rid of them ASAP and get Washington plates......
😂 LOL. Having California plates in states being overrun by people escaping the political environment in California could make your vehicle a target for unwelcome attention.

· Super Moderator
12,896 Posts
This is an issue I'd never have but then my job is running Harleys up to their rev limiters at about 140 mph on a dyno.
Just did another Harley today. Made a dozen runs to the rev limiter at various throttle openings. Sounded great even thru my Decibel Defense hearing muffs.
Tuning: $400. Decarbonization: free.

Reactions: ZeroG

· Registered
2021 XSE Hybrid, Blizzard Pearl
93 Posts
Just did another Harley today. Made a dozen runs to the rev limiter at various throttle openings. Sounded great even thru my Decibel Defense hearing muffs.
Tuning: $400. Decarbonization: free.
that is perfect way to break in the engine and gears !! freeway runs at 4am but on a dyno is nice i can rev every single gear up and let it back down.

· Registered
3 Posts
Was told the same about the valves and carbon buildup with the usual replacing the engine and internal air filters. I passed on the valves treatment as i only have 11000 miles on my 2020 rav4 limited. But did have a big problem with the power lift door as there were times when I had to push it open or push it shut. The tech took a look and found that the two bracket holding the door to the cars frame were both cracked and will have to be replaced . Under warranty though thank goodness! My thought though is did they crack because of my pushing and pulling on the door when the struts simply were failing. Noticed others with the same problem.

· Registered
2021 RAV4 XLE Hybrid
204 Posts
I had a Triumph 650 Bonneville that pinged really bad with the timing set properly. I put in 105 octane Avgas. This eliminated the pinging. I drove it really hard for a couple of tanks. After that it ran fine on 93 octane fuel.

· Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
2,441 Posts
There is no way that there is any meaningfull amount of water in the brake fluid of a 2 or 3 year old car, unless its a flood salvage.
I've owned cars where a three year brake fluid flush and refill was manufacturer recommended. And was a requirement of the track within two weeks of any high speed event no matter the age of the car.

My son owned a Mazda where he spent thousands on the brake system after years of brake fluid neglect. Isn't like the old days where the brake shoes were mechanically moved. Today's systems are complex with many sensors and are expensive to fix.

Choose you own interval but don't just neglect it entirely.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts