Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Looking to install a new in-dash carplay unit into my 2011 Sport. I've been trying to find something that still supports the existing car features (steering wheel controls, AUX, etc) but the Crutchfield recommended installation kit (for MOST units) is upwards of $180 just in itself. Other units I've found have installation gear that 1/4th the price but aren't a name brand like Alpine/Kenwood/Pioneer. What gives?

I'm pretty new to modifying anything car related so I'd rather not have to solder or anything. Should I source the installation gear myself from other places? It's hard to identify what exactly I need and what I could get away without. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
If the wiring harness is too expensive go with the lower cost one. It does not have to be made by the big names. You can crimp your wires though soldering is the best way to go. There are butt connectors that contain solder in them. They heat up with a heat gun. See this video.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Crutchfield is a great site for identifying the parts you need, but not always the best place to get them from. They do have different levels of function and price depending on the features you need. In the past, all you need was two harness adapters and call it day, however, modern vehicles with SWC, AUX, USB, backup camera, amped-vs-non-amped, etc., companies like PAC Audio, iDatalink, or CRUX have adapters that will try to accommodate everything, so it gets expensive.

I ended up getting a SWRTY-61S since it fits my needs. If you want to see vehicle diagnostics, the Maestro RR w/TO1 can accommodate that. The RP4.2-TY11 is another option. These only interface with the radio, you may need other adapters for USB and AUX.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts