Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 Rav4 bought new same year, now has 44.8k miles.

So I took my car to the dealership for it's 5k service maintenance and I noticed that each time my bill for the service is $29.95 or less than $80, the service rep comes up with some "you need to get this done" list. History: 2 years ago another service rep from the same dealership showed me what seems to be copy/paste images and description of a problem they found on my Rav4. Note that time my car was only a year old. The document wasn't even on an official Toyota sheet. Anyway he said it'll cost me $680. I declined and to this day, after several other service maintenance visits, nobody has ever mentioned seeing that problem.

So here's the list of what a service rep found and recommends. Someone from the Toyota Owners forum said if it's not in the Maintenance Guide Book, you dont need it. Makes sense.

BG Brake Flush (06TOZBFLUSH): fluid absorbs moisture rec flush every 30k / 2 years (this one I had done for $150+)
Item Description
During the operation of a vehicle, the brake fluid's boiling point is continually reduced through the absorption of atmospheric moisture. The moisture content can lead to the formation of vapor under hard braking conditions, reducing the system's efficiency. Flushing the old contaminated fluid out of the system and replacing it with new clean fluid.

Reason
If not maintained, the contaminated fluid will deteriorate the brake system resulting in unsafe brakes.

Brake Flush DRIVE LINE SVC - DLINE: 4WD vehicle, due every 30k Note this was never brought up during my 30k, 35k, and 40k service.

Item Description
Heat, moisture, extreme pressure and loads cause gear oil to break down or to be contaminated, leading to lubrication failure and worn gears. Drive line service removes and replaces old worn-out lubricant from manual transmissions, front and rear differentials, transaxles, and transfer cases.

Reason
If not repaired, worn universal joints may cause a squeaking or clunking sound when the vehicle is accelerating. The driver may also experience a shuddering sensation while the vehicle is in motion. Neglecting these signs could cause the drive shaft to separate from the vehicle, making the repair more expensive and possibly damaging the vehicle.

Mass Airflow Sensor Service: optimizes fuel economy rec every 35k

Item Description
A Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor monitors the temperature and weight of air entering your engine. Your onboard computer needs that information to calculate the right amount of fuel for all engine operating conditions.

Reason
The sensor works by heating a delicate platinum wire or plate and measuring the current required to keep it at a constant temperature while air blows past it. Over time, dust and oil particles stick to the hot wire/plate and bake on. Eventually, those baked-on particles insulate the wire/plate from the airstream. This causes starting, idling and acceleration problems, as well as poor gas mileage.

Vent Service by Toyota: cleans the evaporator core and reduces any a/c odors

Item Description
This is an air conditioning evaporator cleaning treatment designed by Toyota. The evaporator is cleaned and a spray treatment is also done that kills all of the bacteria in the vents.

Reason
This will allow your climate control system to stay clean and fresh. It will kill the bacteria caused from re-circulated air, and will also allow the internal workings of the air condition system to better function.

I'm seriously running out of service reps I can trust in that dealership.

·
Super Moderator
10,152 Posts
Yes you are, :egad: again!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Fool you twice, shame on you. Stop going to that dealer for service. They seriously tried to con you for $680 in the first year of bumper to bumper warranty at 5k miles? Run.

·
Registered
548 Posts
You forgot-

Paint Service
Item description
A new, fresh coat of paint is applied to your vehicle.
Reason
Over time, airborne abrasive particles, sunlight, ozone, bird droppings and other environmental issues can damage the surface of your vehicles paint. This can cause the underlying metal to rust, reducing the visual appeal of your vehicle and also its resale value. If left untreated can result in metal perforation.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Wow, what a bunch of crooks! I work for a Toyota dealership and none of that is required for your RAV4. However on German cars the brake flush is necessary when you have dot 4 brake fluid which absorbs water as it states. Toyota only uses dot 3 fluid, so you are fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,113 Posts
My 2004 Accord stated to flush every three years. I agree most folks never think of it. Our RAVs have been flushed once. Some types of brake fluid may be more vulnerable but they are all Hygroscopic.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
...2013 Rav4 bought new same year, now has 44.8k miles.

BG Brake Flush (06TOZBFLUSH): fluid absorbs moisture rec flush every 30k / 2 years (this one I had done for $150+)...
You might check your 2013 Maintenance Schedule that is a checklist for keeping warranty in place. You will likely find nothing about brake fluid. This is another Toyota discrepancy on servicing the RAV. The Canadian Schedule calls for brake fluid change at 60,000 km or 4 years. (40,000 miles.) Strangely, the USA Schedule in my 2009 manual does not say one peep about brake fluid changes--ever. Must be another miracle 'lifetime fluid' like the tranny ATF, or so they would have us Yanks believe, lol. I kind of get the feeling Toyota would like us to treat our cars as throwaways after about 12 years, so why bother with these fluid changes?

DOT 3, 4 and 5.1 absorb water. (DOT 5 does not.) Also the corrosion inhibitors in brake fluid break down over time and can lead to problems in the system. As I understand it, brake fluid doesn't really circulate, so the fluid held in place in the line by the calipers take a real beating where the most heat is generated.

My friend who owns an auto shop says 5 years / 60k miles is a good target for brake fluid change. He doesn't charge anything for labor (just beer) so has no profit agenda. So it is once again for the owner to decide.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well that's just great! I paid $113 for labor, $18 for parts, and $18 for "shop supply"!! Well I guess my RAV4 wont ever be needing brake flush for another 5yr/60k!

Next time I'm taking the Maintenance Schedule book with me at my next service.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You forgot-

Paint Service
Item description
A new, fresh coat of paint is applied to your vehicle.
Reason
Over time, airborne abrasive particles, sunlight, ozone, bird droppings and other environmental issues can damage the surface of your vehicles paint. This can cause the underlying metal to rust, reducing the visual appeal of your vehicle and also its resale value. If left untreated can result in metal perforation.
This made me bust out laughing but then...scary because I seriously wouldn't be surprised if they did.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
what you should do is get yourself a reputable independent mechanic, ask around friends and familly

·
Registered
23 Posts
The times I've been in the market for another car I'm always amused at what the so-called *FINANCE MGR* has to say about extended warranties....something you can get on your own if the car is brand new from your own insurance company for more than half than what the dealer charges....

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Well that's just great! I paid $113 for labor, $18 for parts, and $18 for "shop supply"!! Well I guess my RAV4 wont ever be needing brake flush for another 5yr/60k!

Next time I'm taking the Maintenance Schedule book with me at my next service.
If the only thing you did from the mess the Dealer suggested, you came out okay. After all, the Canadian Schedule says 4yr/40k miles for the brake fluid change, so according to that at 44k you were 'due.' And yeah, you should rest easy about brake fluid till you hit 100k or so! The other stuff was overpriced and bogus.

When I was in for some warranty work, the dealer quoted me $250 for a brake flush. Uh. No. Thanks. So your price doesn't seem to bad, the labor charge seems reasonable for about an hour. Of course, that assumes they even did anything.

The point of my earlier post is there are a lot of opinions on this--even between Toyota Canada and Toyota USA. And since my Canadian built RAV lives in weather similar to Canada, I'm using their schedule! My own feeling about it is that the USA schedule (no brake fluid service at all) is flawed, if concerned about long term ownership.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The times I've been in the market for another car I'm always amused at what the so-called *FINANCE MGR* has to say about extended warranties....something you can get on your own if the car is brand new from your own insurance company for more than half than what the dealer charges....
The last time I had a finance manager try hard to sell me an extended warranty by "scaring" me with the thought of large repair bills I said "You know I'm not sure this is the right car for me if it's so prone to problems". She backed off pretty quickly.

·
Registered
8,538 Posts
Not to the extent that it needs to be flushed during the life of most vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RTexasF (Post #6) is correct.

I have a tester and test the brake fluid in my RAV for moisture. After 2-3 years the tester shows the brake fluid has absorbed enough moisture so that it should be changed. Also moisture in brake fluid will corrode metal brake system parts with which it comes into contact.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Most of those services are a cash cow for the dealer. Changing the brake fluid is not one of them. As has been said ALL brake fluid absorbs moisture.

That does two things & both are bad.

1. The moisture moves to the lowest parts of the brake system causing the pistons & cylinders in the brake calipers to corrode. Not a cheap fix when it happens.

2. The moisture contaminated brake fluid now has a lower boiling point. In hard use your brake fluid will boil. That equals no brakes when you need them. Spend the money on this service it can save you, your family & other road users.

PS: It is due every two years.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Wow, what a bunch of crooks! I work for a Toyota dealership and none of that is required for your RAV4. However on German cars the brake flush is necessary when you have dot 4 brake fluid which absorbs water as it states. Toyota only uses dot 3 fluid, so you are fine.
I think this is incorrect advice. DOT 3 brake fluid definitely does absorb water, otherwise why would the DOT 3 certification include tests for both wet and dry boiling points? See paragraph S5.1.2 of this document (page 328).

1 - 20 of 34 Posts