Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Always wanted to get the 2019 Rav4 but got put off with the fuel tank issue. Was looking to pick up a hybrid and from what I read before both gas and hybrid models had this problem. Now that Toyota pushed out a 2020 model and are aware of this problem, did they fix it? Is it less common? Is it more common in the hybrid than it is with the gas version? Would appreciate any input.

·
Premium Member
7,695 Posts
There are just as many '20 HVs still having the same problem, both Japan and Canadian built, there are numeruos discussions on it in the 4.5 HV subforum, right now there are 5 related discussions on the first page, use the advanced search in the 3 dot menu top right to find more or just look on the other 4.5 HV pages.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know there are a bunch of posts to it, but a lot of them are on going from the 19 models and I didn't dig through the pages to find out more if the '20 models are still affected. But thank you for answering my question. Just wish Toyota would fix this issue. Luckily I don't need to buy a new car since my current one is paid off and works.

·
Premium Member
7,695 Posts
Just wish Toyota would fix this issue. Luckily I don't need to buy a new car since my current one is paid off and works.
You and thousands of owners! Maybe they'll have it fixed by the time the '21 Prime is released later this year.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure if I can wait that long. Itching to replace my 05 MDX and money is burning a hole in my pocket. Its been a solid first car but guzzles so much gas in NYC. That new aviator is looking oh so nice but not sure how good the reliability is going to be so going to have to pass on that too and I'm looking for a good hybrid. Also been eyeing the RDX. Buddy of mine has one, pretty nice looking car, just hate that center console set up. Really liked the new rav4 refresh though, inside and out.

·
Premium Member
7,695 Posts
It will likely be that long, if ever, unfortunately. The gen 2 Prius had a similar issue that was never fixed until gen 3.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Always wanted to get the 2019 Rav4 but got put off with the fuel tank issue. Was looking to pick up a hybrid and from what I read before both gas and hybrid models had this problem. Now that Toyota pushed out a 2020 model and are aware of this problem, did they fix it? Is it less common? Is it more common in the hybrid than it is with the gas version? Would appreciate any input.
I have a 2020 XLE Hybrid and it has the same or similar problem. I picked mine up on 11/22 and it's an early Canadian build. With the gas filler fully inserted, maximum flow, it shuts off, with needle just touching the "F" on the gauge. Range shows around 460ish miles. 110 miles or so later, ithe gas gauge reads half full. Now I let it fill full flow until I estimate another 3-4 gallons to completely fill, then back off on the gas hose, allowing some air to escape and fill slowly until it clicks off. That takes the gas gauge to well past "F" and the range to hit the advertised number.
I wonder if they had a bunch of the old (2019) gas tanks left that are winding up on the early 2020s'. From what I've read, the gas tank shape change in 2019 was a suspected cause. Anyway, now that I have a workaround, it's not a big deal for me. I love the car and I'm getting 43-44 MPG combined with it. (I traded a 2018 Audi Q5 for it and like this car more than the Audi.)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a 2020 hybrid limited. I just went to the gas station for my first fill up. My refuel warning light came on with 444 miles on the odometer. The pump clicked off at 9.2 gallons. I manually forced 12 gallons total in the tank and could probably have put more in. When I started the car up the DTE was 557 miles. I don't know if I have a problem with this car or not. I'm accustomed to adding a few extra gallons after a pump clicks off.

I'm very happy at this point. I'm hoping I don't have the refuel problem everyone is talking about here. But I'm not sure if I do or don't.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Always wanted to get the 2019 Rav4 but got put off with the fuel tank issue. . . . . . . . did they fix it?
. . . . . .Is it less common? Is it more common in the hybrid than it is with the gas version?
Not on your life.

The issue does not exist in the ICE unit, only Hybrids.

Japan, Canada, doesn't matter.

Toyota has fornicated the K9 with the fuel system design and execution for the current RAV4 Hybrid.

Toyota's implied posture?

DEAL WITH IT.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have a 2020 hybrid limited. I just went to the gas station for my first fill up. My refuel warning light came on with 444 miles on the odometer. The pump clicked off at 9.2 gallons. I manually forced 12 gallons total in the tank and could probably have put more in. When I started the car up the DTE was 557 miles. I don't know if I have a problem with this car or not. I'm accustomed to adding a few extra gallons after a pump clicks off.

I'm very happy at this point. I'm hoping I don't have the refuel problem everyone is talking about here. But I'm not sure if I do or don't.
Yes, this is what I considered to be the problem. My 3 cars I have had before have never had an issue at the pump where it would allow me to manually force in another 3 gallons worth without spilling over. I mean... does that sound normal to you? To be able to fill in another 1/5th, or 20% more fuel after the pump shuts off? I could understand if it was like 10% or less, but 20% is beyond pushing it when it comes to premature shutoff in my opinion. But who knows, it might not be that big of an issue for you (just for the record it is recommended you do not top off or pump in any gas after the pump has shut off by itself by both Toyota and the gas stations).

·
Registered
105 Posts
LA RAV4, was the gauge above F when you were done? If so, it sounds like you do not have the problem, yet.
It sounds like the pump shut off after pumping in 9.2 gallons as the auto shut off. LA RAV4 was able to "force feed" another 2.8 gallons in to total 12 gallons in. This force feeding can include but not limited to slow filling, lightly squeezing the nozzle to let gas trickle in, repeatedly squeezing and pumping every time the pump automatically clicks off/shuts off the flow, etc. This is exactly the issue everyone in the 2019's are having with their Rav4s.

·
Registered
254 Posts
But, it seemed to me that if they can put in 12 gallons, and probably have the needle above F, just by going slow on the squeezer, they only sort of have the issue, and (at least for me) it would be a very livable problem (since I naturally fill on the lower flow anyway (I don't trust auto-shutoff mechanisms too much). But, since I don't have my RAV4 yet, I'm not qualified to talk, and will stay out of it, for now.

·
Registered
29 Posts
A guy on one of the RAV4 Facebook pages says his friend is a GM at Toyota, and he posted this a couple of hours ago: "It’s a known issue and Toyota is working on the fix. It will come out as a TSB and will be resolved by replacing the fuel tank. It’s not a safety issue so therefore not a recall. The current shape of the tank can cause an air gap so the new tank will have a different shape to it. They are in the last stages of getting the fix certified."

·
Registered
39 Posts
The fuel gauge showed more than full after I finished pumping 12 gallons. My previous two cars, both Genesis, both had premature shutoff in which I could add three gallons. I can live with premature shutoff and don't mind forcing a few more gallons into the tank. If his is what people are complaining about I can live with it. It just takes an extra minute or two fill fill the tank. Now if it gets worse or I have other refueling issues I will not be happy. Just my .02 worth.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
A guy on one of the RAV4 Facebook pages says his friend is a GM at Toyota, and he posted this a couple of hours ago: "It’s a known issue and Toyota is working on the fix. It will come out as a TSB and will be resolved by replacing the fuel tank. It’s not a safety issue so therefore not a recall. The current shape of the tank can cause an air gap so the new tank will have a different shape to it. They are in the last stages of getting the fix certified."
Believe it when I see it. Nothing at all official being said.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I bet that the TSB will be released very quietly, late on a Friday Afternoon, of a holiday weekend.

·
Registered
2919 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package built June 20
874 Posts
You may improve your chances of having the TSB applied to your car by documenting early and often that the problem applies to your car. On two dealer work orders (oil change at 3k owner desired, TPMS reset to 36 PSI from as delivered 50 PSI) I have asked them to note the problem and do nothing until an official fix is issued.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts