Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just curious, i want to buy this wet wipes (forgot the name) at wallmart. do you think guys its ok with our rav4?

pls advice.

thanks in advance!!

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried the wet wipes, but they are too wet for glass and you will end up with streaks on your windshield after it drys. You really need some purpose designed glass cleaning fluid and importantly a clean cloth.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fatboy said:
Tried the wet wipes, but they are too wet for glass and you will end up with streaks on your windshield after it drys. You really need some purpose designed glass cleaning fluid and importantly a clean cloth.
thanks for the info.

so what kind of glass cleaning are you using to elimanate or improve the visibility during rain/snow.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I tried those types of products in the past to "improve visibility" but they all seem to haze over at night when you are driving and have to use your wipers. I choose to use nothing on the windsheild but install new set of wipers every year.

I use Rain Away on all windows except the windsheild. Rain-X works the same as well. I find that the water blows off quite easily when driving and the snow/freezing rain doesn't stick to the glass as it does without this type of product. Helps all-around visibility and makes it easier to scrape the ice off in the winter. Use No Fog on the inside and that helps to reduce the amount of steam you normally get on the inside of the windows during the winter.

You will see the adds for Rain-X for example, there is a before and after picture for the product's use. One without wipers and the other with just the Rain-X on there. Of course the Rain-X side looks great. The problem is that when you are not driving at a high speed the rain doesn't blow away and you still need to use your wipers. This is when you get the haze that obstructs your visibility.(more of a problem at night with the glare of oncomming headlights) This is the problem I have with such products. Work well on all other windows and exterior mirrors too.(glass only)

Thats about it. Later. M. :)

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Portege_RAV4 said:
Fatboy said:
thanks for the info.

so what kind of glass cleaning are you using to elimanate or improve the visibility during rain/snow.
It isn't necessary to clean the glass if you want to eliminate visibility. Try closing your eyes. :wink:
Improving visibility, on the other hand...

I tried Rain-X on my Prizm and found the same "haze" problem described by Marcutio. This haze is most commonly caused by what I'll call "road grease." You cannot use windshield wiper fluid to clean this. You must physically get out and clean the window with glass cleaner and towels. The degraded visibility problem is that any blemish/nick/dirt/grease will refract light and diminish visibility.
Here are a few visibility tips, however:
INSIDE:
1) Reach straight out in front of you from the driver's seat and rub a very small circle with one of your knuckles. If there's any build-up on the glass, the circle will seem clearer by comparison. Frequently you don't notice the build up until there's a point of reference. This faint "fogginess" can frequently be detected within a few days after cleaning, or maybe weeks, depending on the air quality where you live. (Do this when the window is dry. If it's fogged at all, don't bother as you'll just leave water-streaks)
OUTSIDE:
2) You must use a good glass cleaner to clean the windshield. After you've cleaned it, clean it once more...you never get it all! What you're really after isn't dirt. It's petroleum deposits from the road. The windshield wipers smear this every swipe and give you that haze.
3) You must clean the windshield wipers, too. Use clean towels and the glass cleaner. Imagine cleaning a plate all sparkly-shiny and then wiping it dry with a buttery knife. This is the same as cleaning the windshield, but not the wipers.
4) Replace the wipers. Tip 3 helps a lot, but no substitute for wipers with good, even contact.
5) Every time you drive your windshield is bombarded with debris. If a grain of sand is coming at you 50MPH, and you're moving at it at 70MPH, that's a 120MPH collision. After 100k miles, you've effectively sand-blasted your windshield! First, this creates an effect much like a million little prisms, each bending and separating and distorting the light coming through. This is most noticeable when there is a very direct, very strong light source like a setting sun or a pair of high-beams. Second, these little prisms act like little cups for all that road-grease, which is why you never quite seem to be able to get the glass clean. Of course, there's not much you can do about this, except replace the windshield if/when you find it unbearable.
As far as the Rain-X type products go, you might as well try it yourself. It's not like it's expensive. But remember that all 5 points above will affect your vision, Rain-X or not. In my case, it seemed slightly better for a few days, but then went away. It wasn't worth the effort. But I also have 200k miles, and my windshield is very badly nicked. I think that played a large part in the product's ineffectiveness.

Todd

1 - 6 of 6 Posts