Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought factory-installed front and back seat all-weather mats for my XLE Hybrid and am very happy with them.

I am now thinking that I would like a mat for the cargo area.

Weathertech has a note on their site for the RAV4 mat that it "Fits hybrid models - Cargo floor position will have to be adjusted." I wrote to the company asking what they meant and they provided some photos that I attached to this post in a PDF file.

I see that Toyota offers a Cargo Tray for a list price of $100; about what the Weathertech mat costs.

My question is whether you have to adjust the cargo floor to fit the OEM mat as you do for the Weathertech mat.

I can see that you get a "smoother" base for the mat but I'm not thrilled that you lose the floor support when raising the front of the mat. We put heavy boxes in the car and I wouldn't want a lot of weight resting on only the sides at the front of the cargo floor.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
The Husky weatherbeater works fine in the back of mine whether you adjust the position or not, I've hauled several 20lb and 40lb bags of bird seed in mine with no ill effects without adjusting the floor.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
The OEM cargo tray fits perfectly. (The Weathertech one does not.)
And it has the spiffy Rav4 logo on it. PT908-42160-02 available from several dealers on eBay.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm waiting for the Canadian version that includes rear seat back protection to be available for the Hybrid. I really like back of the seat protection offered when the seats are down. The Fort Erie Ontario dealer I talked with said to check back in a few months to see if it is available for the hybrid. They are a few miles from the border and I work in Buffalo so could pick them up during a lunch hour when available.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone.

One follow-up question: who sells OEM equipment on eBay? Car dealers (or their service departments)?

Seems sort of weird that anyone besides Toyota would have access to OEM parts.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Both the Toyota OEM cargo tray and carpet cargo mat do not cover the storage bin behind the rear seats. That makes them several inches smaller than the non-hybrid equivalent.

I have both the cargo tray and carpet cargo mat and as rdgrimes says they look great. But any aftermarket equivalents will definitely be different between the gas-only and hybrid models.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Thanks everyone.

One follow-up question: who sells OEM equipment on eBay? Car dealers (or their service departments)?

Seems sort of weird that anyone besides Toyota would have access to OEM parts.
There are a number of forward thinking dealers around the country that sell accessories and parts online. I had excellent service from this one.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Here's how I installed the Weathertech one (see pic). I had ordered it before I knew if didn't fit 'properly' in the hybrid. So I improvised instead of sending it back and ordering one from the U.S.

The OEM cargo tray fits perfectly. (The Weathertech one does not.)
And it has the spiffy Rav4 logo on it. PT908-42160-02 available from several dealers on eBay.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Here's how I installed the Weathertech one (see pic). I had ordered it before I knew if didn't fit 'properly' in the hybrid. So I improvised instead of sending it back and ordering one from the U.S.
Does cutting it like that kind of defeat the purpose of the (that's supposed to keep fluids contained?)

·
Registered
218 Posts
I suppose - but the cargo area's mat does not have that high of a lip anyways, and there isn't a lot of fluids back there to worry about. And it's not like your snow covered boots are melting there like they are in the front!

Does cutting it like that kind of defeat the purpose of the (that's supposed to keep fluids contained?)

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I suppose - but the cargo area's mat does not have that high of a lip anyways, and there isn't a lot of fluids back there to worry about. And it's not like your snow covered boots are melting there like they are in the front!
Most common reason to be happy you have an intact cargo liner: Hatch is left open or leaks in the rain. If you water dogs back there regularly you also appreciate having it catch spills. Personally I wouldn't see much reason to have one without an intact lip around it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
No pets and water is minimal. I throw bags and boxes back there-just wanted it to take a beating for me.

Most common reason to be happy you have an intact cargo liner: Hatch is left open or leaks in the rain. If you water dogs back there regularly you also appreciate having it catch spills. Personally I wouldn't see much reason to have one without an intact lip around it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
So I ordered the OEM RAV4 mat off eBay today - I like the looks of it.

·
Registered
211 Posts

I would get rid of the second tray over the small cargo box. That small cargo box has battery vents on the front face of it which are now obstructed by your tray.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I would get rid of the second tray over the small cargo box. That small cargo box has battery vents on the front face of it which are now obstructed by your tray.
Incorrect. Venting is not affected by covering the floor areas.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Incorrect. Venting is not affected by covering the floor areas.
Oh really, did you design the multiple air vents that vent between the rear seat backs and the front face of the small storage bin? It appears in that picture that the mat is sealing off that airspace, kinda making those air vents less effective. It's his car, he can do as he pleases, however I am pointing out that those air vents are being obstructed and I wouldn't risk it not knowing what damage that might occur because of it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
BTW, page 78 of the users manuals talks about these vents. It says if the vents are blocked, it could lead to a reduction in battery output. It also says that luggage over this space will not effect the battery. However, luggage usually has gaps and so forth. This mat pretty much seals that gap off and thus blocks the vents. If you want to ignor this and roll he dice, go ahead. Just pointing this out to others who understand good airflow and vents go hand in hand.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
There are no battery vents into the cabin, none. The intake vents under the seats are a different thing. The battery exhaust vents go into the under-deck area.

·
Registered
211 Posts
There are no battery vents into the cabin, none. The intake vents under the seats are a different thing. The battery exhaust vents go into the under-deck area.

I see my last post was deleted, how convenient for you! There are intake vents and exhaust vents inside the cabin for the battery! Look at the owners manual on page 78. Also, look for yourself in the car, the vents are right where the owners manual says they are. You can feel the heat rising out of those exhaust vents that you are in so denial of. When the intake fans are on, you can really feel the heat rising out of those vents.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts