Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I purchased a 2021 RAV4 XLE Premium here in Canada. Paid Cash $42,000 OTD.
The Hybrid would save me 2-3L/100km. Which equates to $2500-$4000 in 100,000km. $5000-$8000 in 200,000km. (Roughly) The price for the hybrid I would have selected would have been the XSE with Tech Package which would have been $49,900. Might have gotten it down to $48,000. That's an extra $6000-$7000 for all the extra features I didn't care for or need. Then by 200,000km mark I'm sure the batteries would need some sort of service. That would eat up all the savings in the end.

This way I don't have to worry about cold weather and batteries. Its feels, drives and handles like a traditional vehicle and its reliable.

I'm getting 8.2L/100km right now and I'm not even driving like a grandma.
I have the same model in Canada. Are you planning on purchasing winter tires? I might eventually but not sure where to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the hybrid costs only like $800 more. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
The gas model is heavily discounted from MSRP and also eligible for Toyota's cash rebates. In my area, this added up to almost $5k in dealer discounts + Toyota cash incentive. And then you add the $800 more. So the fuel savings would never offset the extra cost over the life of the vehicle, and that's excluding the time value of money.

Plus I would have spent at least another $1k to $2k changing the rims and tires to the better looking (imo) 19 inch rims and tires as the hybrid only gets the 18 inchers.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just for laughs, I found the original dealer quote for the 19 inch rim and tire upgrade for the hybrid. They wanted $950 per tire before taxes, so $3,800 and would give me back $650 for the 18 inch rims or could keep them. LOL, obviously no. Can get these slightly used for $1 to $2k if you are willing to drive and pick them up yourself.

·
Registered
2021 Toyota Rav4 XLE Premium AWD
64 Posts
I have the same model in Canada. Are you planning on purchasing winter tires? I might eventually but not sure where to start.

I got my RAV4 in February and first thing I did was put snow tires. Blizzak WS90s

·
Registered
934 Posts
I didn't buy one in 2019 and likely would not buy one now. There are a lot more things to go wrong with them - especially after 10 years. A lot more than the battery. Rear diff for example is proprietary - meaning if something goes wrong you get to pay Toyota thousands of dollars to fix it. Probably not common but it has happened to Highlander owners. Many other things as well.

If you don't keep your cars that long then its really about the ROI based on gas prices where you live. Do the math, decide that way.

·
Registered
946 Posts
RAV4 TRD is the only one I want among all 5th gen trims. Otherwise I would look for something else ( I dislike the front grid except Adventure and TRD).

·
Registered
90 Posts
I spent a lot of time obsessing over which version to get when I was buying. In hindsight it doesn’t really matter that much - you’ll be super happy in either. My advice would be to focus which one you can get a better deal on at the time and place you’re buying.

·
Registered
2021 Toyota Rav4 XLE Premium AWD
64 Posts
Thank you. I will look into these. Did you go with 19”rims or 17?

I went with 17" as I like the 5 spoke wheel design. But also tires are much cheaper.

Here's some rims for sale on Kijiji

I paid 750 for a set of brand new rims on kijiji. You will have to search but since its summer you got a lot of time.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota RAV4 AWD XLE Premium
15 Posts
No regrets at all. I would not do anything different at all If I was buying today.
For many of the reasons mentioned.

·
Registered
315 Posts
gas awd. previous hybrid owner dont really drive enough to gain the benefits plus battery cells & inverter needed repair/maint another addtl expense if u plan on keeping long term.

·
Registered
62 Posts
For me there was really no choice; the price difference between my 2L petrol manual FWD and hybrid FWD at the same equipment level was just over 8k (in euros), and if I went for hybrid AWD almost 10k. Unfortunately they don't sell the petrol AWD or TRD here. I would be tempted to spend more money for the TRD or just the standard AWD but could not justify the price difference to the hybrid as I estimated it would take over 10 years to break even with the mileage I am doing.
I find the 2L engine could use more torque but have never really needed to use the sport mode other than for fun; averaging 29-30mpg and overall very satisfied with my choice.
BUT, I can see myself having trouble getting a good deal selling this car if I keep it much longer than 5 years, as no one will want a petrol manual by then, unless I get lucky.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I spent a lot of time obsessing over which version to get when I was buying. In hindsight it doesn’t really matter that much - you’ll be super happy in either. My advice would be to focus which one you can get a better deal on at the time and place you’re buying.
I agree. Both hybrid and ice models have their advantages. It really comes down to what satisfies the owner more.

I'm from B.C. Canada. There was zero negotiation for for hybrid models, and I got a massive deal on the last trail/adventure model they had in stock. I'm not sure if I was lucky that day, but they didn't want me to get the CX-5 or RX350 next door. And that day was quiet.

I have no regrets. I drive 8kms to work a day averaging 8.6L/100km. I fill up once a month. If I work with no days off, I fill up every 21-23 days. When the city was on lockdown March 2020 I was averaging 7.2L/100km.
The gas mileage is better then my dad's 2017 Honda Civic. He's averaging 9.8L/100km. We are all city driving.

Yes, I could buy the hybrid. But considering how lucky I am to have a job that gives me six figures, filling up once a month on regular gas won't break my bank. Previously I drove a BMW 335i and filled up premium every 12 days at $100ish to $120.

I'm still a happy camper. I love this thing haha.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nope. I do a lot of long trips and rarely get into the city. The car shows a bit better than 34 mpg average, and the one time I checked it myself I got a bit more.

Beside, I have the TRD, a bit better on the forest roads.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I’ve found that the people who buy gas are generally afraid of owning a hybrid and are the type of people who will resist buying an EV as long as possible. Not all, but definitely most.

·
Registered
2021 XLE Premium Hybrid + JBL
92 Posts
Nope. I do a lot of long trips and rarely get into the city. The car shows a bit better than 34 mpg average, and the one time I checked it myself I got a bit more.

Beside, I have the TRD, a bit better on the forest roads.
I do wish the Hybrid had a little more ground clearance for this reason, but still better than the CR-V Hybrid or Ford Escape Hybrid. Time will tell if the reduction from a 2012 Outback to the 2021 Hybrid RAV4 is noticeable, but sure do like the MPG improvement.

·
Registered
21 RAV4 XSE Hybrid Magnetic Grey
44 Posts
In all reality I believe it depends on the deal you get and how much you drive. Hybrids will pay for themselves with time after you drive a good amount of miles.

While hybrids do have more things that can go wrong, they also do have fewer maintenance items such as brakes lasting much longer and not having to replace bake fluid for a long time.

I got a hybrid but it was more because I liked the way it drove compared to the regular gas engine, I felt it was a bit quieter and slightly more powerful. But that's just my opnion. I would test drive both and see if you can tell the difference.

21 - 40 of 78 Posts