Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Toyota RAV4 Premium
9 Posts
I absolutely regret not getting the Hybrid model. I got a 2020 RAV4 Premium, which is nice, but I should have gotten the Hybrid. My wife got a 2021 Highlander Platinum Hybrid and loves it.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I’ve found that the people who buy gas are generally afraid of owning a hybrid and are the type of people who will resist buying an EV as long as possible. Not all, but definitely most.
Afraid of what? Do you have some statistics to back that up? I would say some people who buy ICE option are just better at math then folks buying EVs or hybrids. Gas savings with efficient options isn't enough if you put average number of miles or less and have to pay high premium for an efficient option.

Reactions: jrav11

·
Registered
113 Posts
I can fully understand going for a normal gasoline version instead of a hybrid for the same vehicle.

For my company car the reason I chose for the hybrid was very simple. It was the cheapest option to get a gasoline powered car with an automatic transmission. Besides that simple fact I did want to try a hybrid because I like the technology used.
So far I am very impressed with it. I am getting close to the fuel economy of the diesel engined car it replaced so the boss is happy with that fact as well. The reliability makes the leasing company happy.

Privately we went for a hybrid because the technology has shown itself to be reliable and I didn't want a downsized turbocharged engine anymore.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The hybrid uses MG1 in the transmission to start the ICE. Because that runs of up to 650V AC it can provide much more power. The ICE is spun up to around 1000rpm before the fuel injection and ignition are started. MG1 is always connected to the ICE through the planetary gearset.

A regular 12V starter will wear out a lot quicker because of the high current at 12V and more moving parts (the sprocket has to move in and out of the teeth on the flywheel).

Besides that the hybrid transaxle has less parts and there are no parts moving like in a manual transmission, regular CVT or regular automatic transmission. The hybrid transaxle is actually very simple when you look at it from a mechanical standpoint.

·
Registered
50 Posts
In all reality I believe it depends on the deal you get and how much you drive. Hybrids will pay for themselves with time after you drive a good amount of miles.

While hybrids do have more things that can go wrong, they also do have fewer maintenance items such as brakes lasting much longer and not having to replace bake fluid for a long time.

I got a hybrid but it was more because I liked the way it drove compared to the regular gas engine, I felt it was a bit quieter and slightly more powerful. But that's just my opnion. I would test drive both and see if you can tell the difference.
In my area and most I have seen, a hybrid limited was about $6k more than the gas version and a hybrid XSE was a bit over $5,500 more than a gas limited due to the the lack of discounts and Toyota incentives on the hybrids. Assuming I drove 10,000 miles a year and gas was at $3.25 a gallon it would take 19 years to break even on gas. The change of brake pads and brake fluids won't make up that difference. With how fuel efficient the the gas version already is, you would never break even on it. Get the hybrid for the extra power if you feel it's worth the premium as the economics of gas and maintenance aren't a factor.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota RAV4 Premium
9 Posts
In my area and most I have seen, a hybrid limited was about $6k more than the gas version and a hybrid XSE was a bit over $5,500 more than a gas limited due to the the lack of discounts and Toyota incentives on the hybrids. Assuming I drove 10,000 miles a year and gas was at $3.25 a gallon it would take 19 years to break even on gas. The change of brake pads and brake fluids won't make up that difference. With how fuel efficient the the gas version already is, you would never break even on it. Get the hybrid for the extra power if you feel it's worth the premium as the economics of gas and maintenance aren't a factor.
Being I drive 32,000 miles a year, it would be beneficial in my situation.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
But most here buy hybrid because they know they will be driving it for at least 20 years.:ROFLMAO:

Exactly why I am not buying a hybrid or EV... yet... I am betting EV market will be quite appealing in just 5 years that will bring down the prices and I would ditch my ICE then. It would be much less regret knowing I didn't overpay for a hybrid.

On the other hand if your state has plugin rebates, Prime could be better bang for your buck.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I always hear about how much you save on brake pads with a Hybrid. I also hear about the $1000.00 brake job? When my brakes wear out - likely around -50K to 100K miles for me, I will order EHT Raybestos parts (much better than OEM) and install them myself for well under $200 in parts.

It appears I need to get into the brake replacement business?

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
There could be more involved then just replacing brake pads but can be easily DYI. I had to do rotors and calipers too last time at 90k. Though for average mileage driver they are likely to replace them 1-2 times which isn't costly even if you pay someone to do that.

·
Registered
931 Posts
But most here buy hybrid because they know they will be driving it for at least 20 years.:ROFLMAO:

Exactly why I am not buying a hybrid or EV... yet... I am betting EV market will be quite appealing in just 5 years that will bring down the prices and I would ditch my ICE then. It would be much less regret knowing I didn't overpay for a hybrid.

On the other hand if your state has plugin rebates, Prime could be better bang for your buck.
An EV should be cheaper than a ICE vehicle - dependant on the battery. An electric motor and the items that go with it should be much, much cheaper than a Engine, Trans, emission control system, fuel tank, etc. The big intangible is the battery. If there is a technological leap in batteries, then EV's should be cheaper than ICE - at which time I will most certainly buy one. They should be more reliable as well.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
An EV should be cheaper than a ICE vehicle - dependant on the battery. An electric motor and the items that go with it should be much, much cheaper than a Engine, Trans, emission control system, fuel tank, etc. The big intangible is the battery. If there is a technological leap in batteries, then EV's should be cheaper than ICE - at which time I will most certainly buy one. They should be more reliable as well.
Yeah battery tech is certainly been the main downside so far me to go back to EVs but Toyota did promise us some magic solid state batteries. It's been looking like things are ramping up and I have a good feeling that in 5 years I will be ready to ditch ICE for good.

Reactions: hcfd1075

·
Registered
2021 XLE Premium Hybrid + JBL
72 Posts
For the hybrid, it's not just the MPGs, but the corresponding fewer emissions, and the less overall gas used, making us less dependent on a finite resource (yeah, I know it'll outlast our lives, and our kids lives, but eventually...). My part is just a drop in the bucket, but I feel better. The Prime would have been a better choice for me, since most of my driving is a city/hwy mix. With tax credits cost would be similar to, or lower than, the hybrid. But it doesn't come in "Lunar Rock", and they're unobtanium in the midwest.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
For the hybrid, it's not just the MPGs, but the corresponding fewer emissions, and the less overall gas used, making us less dependent on a finite resource (yeah, I know it'll outlast our lives, and our kids lives, but eventually...). My part is just a drop in the bucket, but I feel better.
I always wondered if folks switching to hybrid for emission concerns do they also eliminate cow products consumption too? Can't drive a hybrid in the name of nature without ditching burger from the diet. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
21 RAV4 XSE Hybrid Magnetic Grey
22 Posts
If there is a difference of $6k then I completely understand, it would take a very long time to make that up. For me I did the research in my area and at most I found the difference (with all incentives and rebates) to be no more than $2000-$3000 between an AWD non-hybrid and a hybrid, for FWD the difference was a lot more but I wasn't looking for FWD.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Afraid of what? Do you have some statistics to back that up? I would say some people who buy ICE option are just better at math then folks buying EVs or hybrids. Gas savings with efficient options isn't enough if you put average number of miles or less and have to pay high premium for an efficient option.
Afraid of the cost of the battery even though they won’t even own the car that long. Afraid of new technology. Afraid of looking like a hybrid owner. Afraid to make the leap. I didn’t buy a hybrid to save money. I spent more to have better range and be able to overland deeper into the middle of nowhere. I consistently get 35 MPG off-road with a roof top tent. The gas version won’t do that, which means I’d have to turn back sooner to get gas, or bring more than just a reserve of gas with me. Money isn’t everything. Sometimes it’s peace of mind that you can make it home on half a tank, or camp in the car with it running all night long, or just enjoying how quiet it is when in a drive thru. The future rocks.

·
Registered
113 Posts
"afraid of new technology" always a nice one. New technology that has been in use since 1997 in the first Prius which is getting close to 25 years old.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Afraid of the cost of the battery even though they won’t even own the car that long. Afraid of new technology. Afraid of looking like a hybrid owner. Afraid to make the leap. I didn’t buy a hybrid to save money. I spent more to have better range and be able to overland deeper into the middle of nowhere. I consistently get 35 MPG off-road with a roof top tent. The gas version won’t do that, which means I’d have to turn back sooner to get gas, or bring more than just a reserve of gas with me. Money isn’t everything. Sometimes it’s peace of mind that you can make it home on half a tank, or camp in the car with it running all night long, or just enjoying how quiet it is when in a drive thru. The future rocks.
You got me I am definitely afraid to overpay for something useless for me such as hybrid which I know will be replaced with EV in a few years. I don't need range or MPGs isn't a concern but performance and quietness is a priority. Yup future rocks!

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 hybrid XLE, Magnetic Grey metallic, cold weather package.
565 Posts
Well for me math workout I. Hybrid favor.
I wanted an AWD. So while FWD trims where 5k or 6k cheaper than hybrid, the AWD trims where only about 1200 less, which is not that much on a 30k purchase. So if you do the math, hybrid make sense unless you don't drive that much and than anything will do.

An ice mpg is rated at most 27mpg
So I guess with my driving I get about 24 or 25 mpg.

On my hybrid xle I get 40+mpg now. 15 extra miles per gallon will make up that 1200 in no time.
Add to that a better handling and more power and saving on brake changes etc... And over 10 years I should come out ahead.

·
Registered
2021 XLE Premium Hybrid + JBL
72 Posts
You got me I am definitely afraid to overpay for something useless for me such as hybrid which I know will be replaced with EV in a few years. I don't need range or MPGs isn't a concern but performance and quietness is a priority. Yup future rocks!
If performance and quietness are the priorities, the RAV4 hybrid easily outperforms the ICE.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts