Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
I bought a 2019 Hybrid limited with every available option and haven't looked back. I'm currently averaging slightly over 44mpg and am impressed with the quietness and extra power that the hybrid provides. I test drove several different gasoline only RAV4's and at least two different Hybrid models. I love the adaptive headlights on the Hybrid Limited, which were the only headlights in the RAV4 lineup to pass the IIHS headlight tests. That makes a big difference when you do a lot of nighttime Interstate driving as well as dark, curvy back roads. I also feel better that I'm driving a PZEV.

No regrets with the Hybrid here, except maybe wanting a RAV4 Prime.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
If performance and quietness are the priorities, the RAV4 hybrid easily outperforms the ICE.
That's when you think there are only two type cars (Rav4 ICE and hybrid) exist but both are at the bottom of the list especially for quietness. Even Prime is better.

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 hybrid XLE, Magnetic Grey metallic, cold weather package.
565 Posts
Well , the problem with anything else but ice and hybrid is cost.
All other options maybe priced out of most people budget and therefore not a viable options.
Case in point, my budget for a car is roughly 30k max. I will go a 2 or maybe 3k over that but that is my max. Prime starts at 40k, Tesla 40+. What are my options?

And rebate only works if you actually owe that much in taxes.
Again what are the options?

·
Registered
69 Posts
"afraid of new technology" always a nice one. New technology that has been in use since 1997 in the first Prius which is getting close to 25 years old.
It’s a wonder why people still complain about it not being worked out then. It’s 25 year old tech and people still act like it’s this new thing that’s super unreliable and extremely pricy to fix. We aren’t in the 90’s anymore.

·
Registered
69 Posts
You got me I am definitely afraid to overpay for something useless for me such as hybrid which I know will be replaced with EV in a few years. I don't need range or MPGs isn't a concern but performance and quietness is a priority. Yup future rocks!
Full EV infrastructure is a decade away. I’ll be in the market for a new car by then, probably won’t sell the rav4 but I’ll definitely get an EV sports car that I can road trip with. The hybrid is faster and quieter than the ICE, EV’s are even better. I’d have gotten one if I thought they’d start putting charging stations in all of our national parks within the next 3 years.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Full EV infrastructure is a decade away. I’ll be in the market for a new car by then, probably won’t sell the rav4 but I’ll definitely get an EV sports car that I can road trip with. The hybrid is faster and quieter than the ICE, EV’s are even better. I’d have gotten one if I thought they’d start putting charging stations in all of our national parks within the next 3 years.
It's good enough already and will get better.
I was early adopter with EVs back 10 years ago, it was too soon at that time but I strongly believe in its future. Hybrids are just bandaid to the problem pushed by Toyota mainly. It will go away very soon though. I am looking towards EV upgrade in under 5 years.

·
Registered
21 RAV4 XSE Hybrid Magnetic Grey
22 Posts
To all the above posts talking about EV's, here's my personal thoughts

I think EV's are definitely the future. I just don't like that most can only go between 200-300 miles of range. I know it typically isn't a problem if you plug them in every night.. But still it makes me worry how many miles you eventually lose from battery degradation and I also heard it's usually ideal to not charge the battery past 80% unless you really need to.

I'm sure 95% of driving would be perfect in an EV, but it's that 5% where I'll go on a road trip with friends or family and just having to stop and wait for it to recharge would be a pain.

Once EV's can go at least 450 miles or more of range before recharging, I will definitely consider getting one as long as it's within my budget.

·
Registered
69 Posts
It's good enough already and will get better.
I was early adopter with EVs back 10 years ago, it was too soon at that time but I strongly believe in its future. Hybrids are just bandaid to the problem pushed by Toyota mainly. It will go away very soon though. I am looking towards EV upgrade in under 5 years.
Let me rephrase, EV infrastructure doesn't fit my lifestyle currently. I have no easy access to EV charging at my apartment or work, which is where I would charge on a weekly basis. I have no easy access to EV charging at 90% of my road-trip destinations. EV infrastructure is definitely here for some people, just not for me. A hybrid was a way to increase performance and range while not going full EV.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts

I think EV's are definitely the future. I just don't like that most can only go between 200-300 miles of range. I know it typically isn't a problem if you plug them in every night.. But still it makes me worry how many miles you eventually lose from battery degradation and I also heard it's usually ideal to not charge the battery past 80% unless you really need to.

I'm sure 95% of driving would be perfect in an EV, but it's that 5% where I'll go on a road trip with friends or family and just having to stop and wait for it to recharge would be a pain.

Once EV's can go at least 450 miles or more of range before recharging, I will definitely consider getting one as long as it's within my budget.
The problem isn't with range. You don't want to lug around heavy battery. Current 200-300 miles is plenty for most. They just need to improve charging time and add more fast charging stations for those edge cases.

Reactions: meeder

·
Registered
113 Posts
It’s a wonder why people still complain about it not being worked out then. It’s 25 year old tech and people still act like it’s this new thing that’s super unreliable and extremely pricy to fix. We aren’t in the 90’s anymore.
My opinion is that they don't understand how it works. If you have some technical understanding on how the system works it makes more sense.

They are currently at the 4th generation hybrid drivetrain for just about all models now. Every generation is an increase in efficiency and size reduction of the electronics and the transaxle itself.

They have the hybrid part of the cars pretty dialed in a pretty reliable by now and it has been reliable for a long time. Toyota simply couldn't afford large issues when they introduced the system in 1997. If the drivetrains were unreliable there wouldn't have been mass adoption of the system.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My opinion is that they don't understand how it works. If you have some technical understanding on how the system works it makes more sense.

They are currently at the 4th generation hybrid drivetrain for just about all models now. Every generation is an increase in efficiency and size reduction of the electronics and the transaxle itself.

They have the hybrid part of the cars pretty dialed in a pretty reliable by now and it has been reliable for a long time. Toyota simply couldn't afford large issues when they introduced the system in 1997. If the drivetrains were unreliable there wouldn't have been mass adoption of the system.
I feel that both the gas and hybrid versions of the RAV four are excellent. It really comes down to which one you like better and which you’re more comfortable owning. Previously I owned a Prius which I had for 11 years and really it was overall bulletproof and always averaging around 50 miles a gallon. And recently I picked up 2021 Toyota RAV four hybrid XLe. I love the car and I’m enjoying over 40 miles a gallon. I test drove both the gas and the hybrid and loved them both of them. It really comes down to what technology you’re most comfortable owning.

·
Registered
17 Posts

I can see in the next decade or so all EVs going to solid state batteries. Solid state batteries can be charged WAY faster than current EV batteries and have almost no loss in capacity after 1,000 charge cycles. Once EVs can go 500 miles on a charge, charge in 15-20 minutes, and have multiple charge stations in a city (current gas stations installing EV stations), then I would happily buy an EV.

Until then, my '20 XLE Hybrid will do just fine. It "charges" in just a few minutes at the pump, gets about 450 miles per "charge", and there are TONS of "charging" stations all around.

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 hybrid XLE, Magnetic Grey metallic, cold weather package.
565 Posts
Yes , that is my thinking as well.
I would love getting into EV but the cost of the car and luck of charging stations everywhere is not an easy pill to swallow.
I didn't take long drives often , but when I do , I don't want to plan my vacation around charger availability. The best option today and possibly for the next decade or so is ,maybe not a hybrid, but an EV with ice charging onboard. This way I can use it as EV most of the times but if needed I can just jump in a go on extended drive without worry or planning.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Lexus NX got announced it will certainly address all the shortfalls with Rav4 at a higher price

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
The NX is basically a RAV4 in a fancier package isn't it?
Yes, current one doesn't make sense vs Rav4 but upcoming one is certainly looking good. I don't understand the need to have 4 different engine choices or at least why would anyone want a base one but turbo and PHEV are certainly welcome. When this is out we will see better deals on Prime for sure

Reactions: meeder
61 - 76 of 76 Posts