Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When rotating your tires do you swap in the spare tire as the manual suggests? If you have it done at a shop do you ask them to do it?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I don't too. :? Actually, my spare tire is one of the used tires that I had originally on the RAV. When I got a flat, and the tire could not be repaired; I used the "new" spare and bought a second new tire so that the thread depth would match. Then I took the extra "used" tire and used it as the spare. Hope that makes sense. :roll:

When rotating tires, I find it too much of a hassle to have to factor in the spare as well. Actually, I just rotate mines from front to rear on each side. This may be the lazy way to do it, but when you have to rotate tires for everyone in my family; it is the easiest! :D :lol:

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's probably why they want you to swap in the spare. So if you ever do end up needing to use it full time you'll have a tire of roughly equal tread wear. Which is critical for AWD.

But yeah, since my wife's is FWD I think I'll just be lazy and leave it out of the rotation.

J

·
0 Posts
I rotate all five of my wheels about every 4000 miles, current mileage is 22900. I have discovered 3 nails or pieces of metal embedded in one tyre or another, fortunately before they had caused a puncture.

It is a bit of a chore but has been worth it for me in avoiding punctures and evening-out tyre wear.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Bought my RAV used and the previous owner didn't rotate in the spare. Going by their manufacture date, the four tires on the vehicle are its second set and the spare on the back is the original one it came with. When I buy new tires, possibly before next winter, I'll buy a set of five and start rotating the spare in, mainly to prolong the life of the tires.

B

·
0 Posts
Normally, when I have a vehicle with 5 identical tires, I'll rotate in the spare, so everything wears evenly.

However, when we bought the RAV the tires were all uneven. I found a used set of Goodyear Wrangler HPs :roll: for $60, so I put those on, but only 4, so I still don't rotate the spare in, just all 4 tires...

Next time I buy tires though, it'll be a set of 5.

Bogatyr

·
Registered
682 Posts
even if i wanted to i cant rotate the spare as its a different size to my road tyres. that reminds me, i gotta get a 235/60/16 sized tyre to run as my spare so it closelt matches the size of my road tyres.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts