Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a thread on wheel sizes in the exterior forum that went unoticed so hopefully someone can help me out with a couple questions. When I get my rav one of the first things that I will do is replace the stock wheels. I want to have at least 19" wheels and possibly go to 20" I want to know what width would be ok and not stick out. I believe the sport comes with 18-7.5 the 19s that I am looking at come in 19-8" so its 8" width. I will be owning the limited v6 awd if that makes any difference.

Thanks again guys this forum has been a great aid in helping me make decisions on what to buy!

p.s. good news is i'll have a bunch of stuff to sell off my limited / wheels, grill, sound system...

R

·
Registered
149 Posts
I would suspect that you would need to significantly change the aspect ratio of the tires from the 55 series to maybe 40 or 35 in order to maintain the overall wheel/tire diameter. This will obviously impact ride, handling, comfort, and noise.

·
Registered
129 Posts

This was from a local auto show, notice the chin spoiler, too bad there were no skirts to go along with it.

20" wheels look good, as for the ride i would definitely agree with go 5 hole's comments

On a 4.3 the 20's look good, on a 4.2 they would just be too big.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kordz said:
This was from a local auto show, notice the chin spoiler, too bad there were no skirts to go along with it.

20" wheels look good, as for the ride i would definitely agree with go 5 hole's comments

On a 4.3 the 20's look good, on a 4.2 they would just be too big.
Wow those look sharp! That's exactly what I need. How much do you guys think it would cost for four 20's like that? And what size tire do you think I would have to go?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nice! 20s look great but I think I will go with a 19 by 8 inch wheel so I dont sacrafice all my ride quality. Oh but 20s are sure tempting......

R'

·
Registered
65 Posts
i don't have any idea about "offset" size on the rims. I'd like to have Black rims with chrome lip on my black Rav. Do you have suggestions as to what website, store sells cheap? :D

·
Registered
240 Posts
The offset from a Limited 17" alloy is 45 mm.

For 20's you can go with a 255/50-20 tire. You'll need at least a 8" rim width. For the offset, stick with 35-45 mm, and you'll be fine if it's a 20x8 wheel.

One thing to keep in mind, the stock Limited wheel/tire combo comes in at 50 lbs. To move up to a 255 tire on a 20x8 wheel, you're looking at around 70 lbs. That's a HUGE difference. Acceleration and braking is going to suffer big time. Same with ride quality.

It's gonna suck big time if you have only the I4 engine.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mhgsx said:
The offset from a Limited 17" alloy is 45 mm.

For 20's you can go with a 255/50-20 tire. You'll need at least a 8" rim width. For the offset, stick with 35-45 mm, and you'll be fine if it's a 20x8 wheel.

One thing to keep in mind, the stock Limited wheel/tire combo comes in at 50 lbs. To move up to a 255 tire on a 20x8 wheel, you're looking at around 70 lbs. That's a HUGE difference. Acceleration and braking is going to suffer big time. Same with ride quality.

It's gonna suck big time if you have only the I4 engine.

Thanks for the info mhgsx, I was wondering what I should get if I went with 19x8 as far as the offset is concerened? I want to stay away from low profiles as much as possible but I also dont want it to look tacky,

thanks a million for the help!

ps it will be the v6

R

·
Registered
88 Posts
in the 17-19 range size you can find a lot of name brand and knock off rims mostly styled for the tuner market. in the 20+ range you will find majority american "dub" styled rims that are mostly flashy chrome and the most recent craze black with chrome lips. i have a blizzard white and am looking for 20's. i would like to have a minimum 50 series tire any less then i wouldnt be able to sacrifice the rideability.

·
Registered
149 Posts
mhgsx said:
For 20's you can go with a 255/50-20 tire.
Be aware that your speedometer will be off with this size - when you are actually travelling at 60mph, your speedometer will be reading 56mph (actually 56.2mph). This size will yield speedometer readings 6.6% slower than actual unless recalibrated.

·
Registered
240 Posts
go 5 hole said:
mhgsx said:
For 20's you can go with a 255/50-20 tire.
Be aware that your speedometer will be off with this size - when you are actually travelling at 60mph, your speedometer will be reading 56mph (actually 56.2mph). This size will yield speedometer readings 6.6% slower than actual unless recalibrated.
Actually, I made a mistake when I posted the size. I meant to type 255/45-20.

But using the 255/50-20 size, my calculations come out to a 5.4% error comparing against the stock Limited size of 225/65-17.

Taking into account that most speedos read inaccurately high (especially with japanese manufacturers) the resulting reading using the larger tires is probably dead on.

Using the 45 series 20" tire, the difference in height is 0.5" compared to stock.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Actually, I think if you wanted to go with 20" wheels, the optimal +2 sizing from the 18" Sport wheel is a 245/45R20 tire. This will maintain as close to the height of the original 235/55R18 tires that are on a Sport right now; I think you'd be just a tad taller with the 20" and the 245/45 tire.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
CONAN said:
Actually, I think if you wanted to go with 20" wheels, the optimal +2 sizing from the 18" Sport wheel is a 245/45R20 tire. This will maintain as close to the height of the original 235/55R18 tires that are on a Sport right now; I think you'd be just a tad taller with the 20" and the 245/45 tire.

You think if they were 8" wide they will stick out on the limited?

R

·
Registered
240 Posts
godson594 said:
CONAN said:

R
The width of the rim alone doesn't predict whether or not the wheels will stick out from the fenders. You can have 6" wheel stick out with the right offset.

Offset is what you need to be concerned with. ANY 8" wide rim will be fine if you stay around 40 mm. Doesn't matter if it's for a 20", 19" 18", etc. The widest you could probably go is 9" with the right offset and tire width.

FWIW, I put on my old set of SSR Comps in a 17x7.5 size with a 40 mm offset with no problems. The edge of the tire comes close to the edge of the fenders, but does not stick out. A 20x8 wheel is more abundant than a 20x7.5 wheel, which is why I recommended that size for your dub dreams.

·
Registered
49 Posts
You know, I actually am quite fond of the SPORT's 18" design. It looks pretty rugged and makes the vehicle look more muscular if you know what I mean.

Now, if Toyota offered the same design in 20", I would seriously consider purchasing them. I've seen some auto show pics with the 20" SPORT design and think it looks pretty darn cool.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
mhgsx said:
godson594 said:
CONAN said:

R
The width of the rim alone doesn't predict whether or not the wheels will stick out from the fenders. You can have 6" wheel stick out with the right offset.

Offset is what you need to be concerned with. ANY 8" wide rim will be fine if you stay around 40 mm. Doesn't matter if it's for a 20", 19" 18", etc. The widest you could probably go is 9" with the right offset and tire width.

FWIW, I put on my old set of SSR Comps in a 17x7.5 size with a 40 mm offset with no problems. The edge of the tire comes close to the edge of the fenders, but does not stick out. A 20x8 wheel is more abundant than a 20x7.5 wheel, which is why I recommended that size for your dub dreams.

Ok I found wheels I like they are 19 - 8 with a 40mm offset. So that sounds like it should be ok....

Thanks again for the info!!

R

·
Registered
129 Posts
great reading for those who want to change wheels:

http://www.ronalusa.com/shopping/index.html

PLEASE consider road conditions in your area. I decided to plus size by 1in., people thought it wouldn't make much of a difference aesthetic wise. In my case i had the choice of either going 235/55-17 or 255/50-17. I went with the lower profile of 50's. I couldn't be more happy with the look and performance.

Plus sizing by 2in., will definitely make a BIG difference in looks and performance, but if you drive in an area with nice roads, then go for the dub's.

Bottom line: go with what you like, it's your ride.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts