Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is how I tow...

Class III hidden hitch from etrailer.com

3.5x5 carry-on trailer with extended the tongue and 1-7/8 coupler (2000lb load)

15x6 with radial tires.

2" spacers to push out the wheels a bit (prevent from rubbing on the frame)

custom rack made out of conduit pipe.

hauling hobie pro angler 12 (neighbors) and 14 (mine)

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
I installed a Curt Class III hitch about a month ago but so far have only carried my 2 bikes with a Swagman XC2 platform bike carrier attached.

·
Registered
34 Posts
This is how I tow...

Class III hidden hitch from etrailer.com
Nice looking setup! :smile
What is the part number of this "hidden hitch" you're talking about? I've read this "hidden hitch" reference a couple times and have looked on the etrailer site, but don't see anything referred to as a "hidden hitch" and in all of the pics displayed there, the hitch (this one, anyway: 2016 Toyota RAV4 Trailer Hitch | etrailer.com) appears to be quite visible (or perhaps I'm simply reading too much into the term "hidden" :surprise ).

Also, since we're on the subject, what wiring harness did you use and, as long as the instructions are followed, should there be any concern about messing up any of the electronics on the vehicle?

Thanks!
Ron :nerd

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what @Quickdtoo said is correct, it is just the brand, its not actually a "hidden hitch"

The wire harness I picked up is the curt t harness, also bought from trailer. I followed install from their video on the 2015 rav4. One note for the hot wire +12, etrailer wants you to run the wire under the carriage, I ran mine inside the cab under the plastic interior down the door seal all the way to the front and ran through the firewall and to the battery. There is no interference with other electronic gadgets. all lights work and in sync when my trailer is hooked up.

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
I followed the factory install instructions for the OEM tow harness when I installed the Curt hitch and wiring on my 2015, will install the same hitch on my Hybrid when I need it, no need for the 12v wire from the front tho since the battery is located in the spare tire well, JBL speaker is different too, so not in the way like it was on the 2015.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/125-4-4-exterior/98673-tow-hitch-41.html#post1793530

·
Registered
3 Posts
How difficult is the lighting package install? I see some lighting packages that you attach right to the rear lighting harness, it seems like I need to get a wire from the battery to the hitch for the Rav4 (2013).
The u-haul people will do it for $75, I am wondering if stringing all this wire though the car takes a lot of time or requires special tools.

N2L

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
How difficult is the lighting package install? I see some lighting packages that you attach right to the rear lighting harness, it seems like I need to get a wire from the battery to the hitch for the Rav4 (2013).
The u-haul people will do it for $75, I am wondering if stringing all this wire though the car takes a lot of time or requires special tools.

N2L

Click the Tow Hitch link in my previous reply for the video showing the factory wiring harness install, it's similar to aftermarket harnesses, the 12V power wire has to be ran from the battery under the hood one way or another, aftermarket instructions run it under the vehicle. That part is simplified on the Hybrid since the 12V battery is next to the spare tire, the rest of the harness connects behind the panels in the rear.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Click the Tow Hitch link in my previous reply for the video showing the factory wiring harness install, it's similar to aftermarket harnesses, the 12V power wire has to be ran from the battery under the hood one way or another, aftermarket instructions run it under the vehicle. That part is simplified on the Hybrid since the 12V battery is next to the spare tire, the rest of the harness connects behind the panels in the rear.
+1 :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Brand new member here. Does anyone use the actual Toyota hitch receiver? Part of the deal I negotiated when I just bought my RAV includes the Toyota hitch receiver and wiring harness installed.

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
I had the factory hitch and wiring on my 2006 V6 which could utilize the extra capability of the hitch with it's towing capacity(3500lbs), but the 2013-on are much more limited on tow capacity(1500 gas/1750 hybrid) so really doesn't justify the extra expense of factory hitch IMO.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got the dealer to add it to the deal at for a little more than it would cost to have an aftermarket one installed. I agree that the MSRP on the Toyota hitch and wiring harness is ridiculous - which is why I wouldn't pay it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Max tow rating for the US Rav4.4 gas models is 1500lbs, not 1750lbs, only the Hybrid has the 1750lb rating. As for hitches, the OEM hitch part#PZQ64-42096 doesn't appear to have a rating, so its limit for the application is 1500lbs and 150lbs tongue weight as stated in the owner's manual. A class 1 hitch has a 2000lb weight limit and 200lb tongue weight limit, which is rated higher than the 4.4 Rav4 is capable of using.

http://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/installation/MY13%20RAV4%20Tow%20Hitch%20IssC.pdf

Trailer Hitches, Hitch Accessories, Hitch Wiring

·
Registered
7 Posts
Max tow rating for the US Rav4.4 gas models is 1500lbs, not 1750lbs, only the Hybrid has the 1750lb rating. As for hitches, the OEM hitch part#PZQ64-42096 doesn't appear to have a rating, so its limit for the application is 1500lbs and 150lbs tongue weight as stated in the owner's manual. A class 1 hitch has a 2000lb weight limit and 200lb tongue weight limit, which is rated higher than the 4.4 Rav4 is capable of using.

http://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/installation/MY13 RAV4 Tow Hitch IssC.pdf

Trailer Hitches, Hitch Accessories, Hitch Wiring

You are partially correct and I am partially correct. Weight rating taken off plate on the hitch receiver itself. So it is not a Class 1, but the hitch receiver is rated for 1750#. Towing capability of my RAV4 is 1500# since I don't have the hybrid. Part number is PZQ64-42097, not the one you stated. Thank you for helping with clarity! I'm somewhat new to this, and I've never had a non-Class rated hitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
After reviewing this thread I ended up getting a Torklift EcoHitch installed this week. Had it shipped to me then installed by a local "certified installer". Just using it for a bike rack so I didn't need electrical re-wiring. Looks great. very happy with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
honestly it was very easy to instal, it took about 1 hour in my car port......give if you have the proper tool of course, it took some big tools to get things moving.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
honestly it was very easy to instal, it took about 1 hour in my car port......give if you have the proper tool of course, it took some big tools to get things moving.
Is this tool big enough? :wink

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts