Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When driving an automatic do you use the gear selections?

Whenever I drive our RAV I find myself doing this. Hit the O/D button for some mild engine braking on hills rather than accelerating towards a red light. Use the L, 2, and D selections when starting from a stop.

Doesn't really help that it's still missing a pedal, but it helps keep my sanity when I drive an automatic.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I heard that driving like that isn't a good thing for you car. Well going back to your question I only use L when offroading, 2 when driving in snow.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alien18 said:
I heard that driving like that isn't a good thing for you car. Well going back to your question I only use L when offroading, 2 when driving in snow.
It's the same thing all these tiptronic/sportshift/whatever transmissions do, they just have a more intuitive interface.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
When i first bought my RAV and left it in standard mode O/D ON and I found every so often it had no torque from 1'st to 2'nd (like it was slipping). Because of that and the fact I like a quicker, sportier, gear change and acceleration I almost always turn my O/D off. The result is a bit higher fuel consumption. Blame Newtons law for that :lol:

I do leave O/D on when i am travelling on long stretches of road, like freeways (highways) where there is no stopping and higher speeds.

Walt

1 - 4 of 4 Posts