Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

DOES ANY ONE WANT TO BUY WHAT'S LEFT OF MY RAV4?

Ha, fooled you. But sometimes I imagine what would happen if I haven't installed a premium suspension.

Sometimes I read that some members of the forum saying that we blow money upgrading unnecessary part in our RAV4.1/2. Really? Read on. Once you see this story regarding safety on SUV. They might realize that we were right all the time. The story is called "A technology called electronic stability control may stop SUV rollovers."

First of all, do you think they are going to sell a kit for the RAV4.1? I don't think so [look at the documentary link below]. Stability, in an SUV is critical, especially in panic situations. And even more in ruff weather. If in a panic situation your RAV4 might not behave as stable as you would want it. Unless you have taken the precaution of installing a quality suspension that will keep your ride under control and not tend to roll over.

Remember it's not how you are going. It's how the other guy is coming :wink:

Click on the link below then click on the story.
http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=2072011

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Dude... you so fooled me there Angel. :shock:

As soon as I opened the topic and saw that crashed white 4.1 RAV, my heart just sank. :cry: Then to see that you were just joking (April fools day was a couple of months back. :lol: ), that was a good one.

You're right about nailing down the suspension as a priority. What good is going fast if your wheels don't touch the pavement. :shock:

Anyways, keep the rubber side down and shiny side up my friend. :thumbs_up:

Ha... Ha... Ha.... that was so wrong. :ponder:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Crash

Not funny. I have had jokes like this backfire. I hope this one won't. But seriously you got me :oops:

:cheers:

Vic.....Keep............Rollin.

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:lol:

But anyway, on the highway, everyone, regardless of country. Has to go at a minimum speed. Almost always, it's at over 50MPH+. In a panic situation you must take control of a vehicle that because of it's center of gravity will get you into trouble, very fast. I call it "ESCE" [I pronounce it EASY.] The idea here is to Evade, Spot, Control, and Escape. You won't find this in any book or on the net. This is something that I've used. Well, experience running rallies help.

First you must try to evade maneuvering [with very precis wheel movements and lightning reflexes]. The object here is to gain control of the vehicle as fast as possible. Re-balancing the chassis [Tip, ALWAYS drive with two hands]. Changing the CD, adjusting the A/C, lighting a cigarette can wait until the next rest area. In Germany, Porsche's do not have cup holders. That says a lot. Especially if you are going in the Autobahn. :wink:

Once the chassis is balance in a way that you can redirect the nose of your vehicle. Look for or "Spot" a way to escape a coalition. BTW, grass is not a good escape route. Especially if it's wet. Try not to slam on the brakes on grass, that is the first error. This will upset the chassis even more. If you hit the brakes in wet grass, you will pickup speed, adding to the coalition a ton.

Once you have spotted your escape route, go towards it. At this moment, you must have already wrestle your vehicle gaining control of it. Sometimes it's a little tight. That is why so many panel coalition ocurre. You look for an escape route and it's to small. Well, it's better then a full frontal collision.

A chassis that won't do unexpected movements that you cannot recover helps a lot.

Driving is a responsibility that we must take seriously because innocent lives and your are in your hands. You might ask; "Looks who is talking, he recently go a ticket for speeding".

Yeah, but I know when to do it and I have very good control of my vehicle. I might have gone around and around. But NEVER have had a serious coalition, never.

S

·
0 Posts
I know this is a little late, but I have been outta touch for a little while. Anyways, I would like to add a few safety tips to Mensa's methods. Above he mentions escape and recovery, but never really addresses the methods. Now for one thing, that varies by the vehicle, so the key here is learn your vehicle. I personally have a traditions of spending nights at a time in abandoned parking lots learning exactly how my vehicle handles on snow/ice. Abandoned/empty is the key here. You need to learn how to nose into and go at your target, it isn't as simple as go and do.

Basically, here is my method for entry of slide/spin. Step one, avoid if possible/too dangerous (what can I say, it can be fun, esspecially if you learn to chain them through corners) Otherwise scope out your path. At this point you either commit or screw yourself, there is no second guessing.

Step two, depends on if you are intiating or if it is a random thing. Both are adjusting throttle, to intiate on snow/ice, I usually apply more throttle. If it is a random spin you want to release throttle and let it die out a bit (conditions permitting).

Step 3, steer. This would be you counter steering/steering with the spin/slide to get the nose going where you wanted.

Step 4, adjust throttle for exit. This is either applying more, or totally dropping to neutral. Once again, it depends on your intended exit.

If you will note, there was never a mention of brakes, why, cause brakes are the worst thing. Applying brakes in a spin cause a dramatic shift in traction, and thus just makes it harder to control, I learned that the hard way. First year I had my liscense I was in a set of S-curves (with my 1990 Nissan Maxima) and an SUV crossed onto my side. I went wide, and the back end carried. I attempted to counter steer. After steering to a point where I thought I had regained control, I lightly tapped the brake, I didn't slam it or anything, just a light application. In no time my rear end was facing the opposite direction and i was going into a ditch. Ended up on the side of the car, I was lucky it didn't go on its roof. Lesson there, do not ever touch the brakes in a spin.

And yes, setting up a better suspension helps, alot, but only if you know how to use it in the first place.

R

·
0 Posts
guys - its great to join this site... i enjoy my new 06 limited rav4 as much as i enjoyed the tundra.. the dealer had to look far for my color - pacific blue.... as of today, my rav4 only has 400 miles on it ... got to go cruising... goodness...this car is good... looking good..am gearing for more. :lol:

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ram888 said:
guys - its great to join this site... i enjoy my new 06 limited RAV4 as much as i enjoyed the tundra.. the dealer had to look far for my color - pacific blue.... as of today, my RAV4 only has 400 miles on it ... got to go cruising... goodness...this car is good... looking good..am gearing for more. :lol:
Welcome to the forum. And 4 the spanish speaking people from Central and South America, you can stop sending the emails regarding how much is this and how much for that...whatever. I didn't crash my RAV4, it's a joke. :roll:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts