Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I contact Toyota Corp. in January about the hard shifting coming to a full stop and the lurking jerk when not fully stopping and then pressing gas (hesitation). Toyota does not want to acknowledge there's a problem. My question is, with so many people complaining about the transmission on forums, Edmunds, ect. What have you done or Toyota said about doing anything? Any updates coming, fixes, is car acting better after putting more miles on it? Any updates would help because this transmission is unacceptable.

·
Registered
390 Posts
7000 kms here. Weekly calls to my dealer and Toyota Canada to really annoy the crap out of them. Nothing so far. Had a tech 2 weeks ago collect data while i was driving and was told the torque converter seems to lose pressure while slowing down causing the transmission to downshift into first instead of second. I don’t know if it’s possible since i know nothing about that but one would belive the torque converter would do the same depending on the driving mode.

Toyota Canada didn’t directly admit to the problem but was told that multiples inquiries were made and that Toyota is collecting data on it.

I went to my dealer today since my transmission started to do a clunking sound when coming to a stop and was told by the master tech that they anticipate a fix soon but could not confirm how soon. They did however make the clunking go away with a system reset with their ecm modules..

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was dealing with my dealer's service manager and a "Case Manager" from Toyota. I felt like I was being bounced back and forth between the 2. I had the vehicle in 3 times to the dealer. The last time they sent diagnostic data to Toyota, and the Case Manager a few days later told me that it was "normal." This obviously didn't make me happy. The only "win" for me was convincing them to send me a $50 Amex "gift check" for my "inconvenience" (gas money as the dealer is 75 minutes away from me, 1 way.)

I also hope they eventually fix it. This is my first and last Toyota.

Also- track your issues here: https://www.carcomplaints.com/Toyota/RAV4/2019/

·
Registered
339 Posts
Is your tranny lurking-jerk issue staying the same ? Getting worst ? Getting better ?

QUOTE=Sunken;2693681]7000 kms here. Weekly calls to my dealer and Toyota Canada to really annoy the crap out of them. Nothing so far. Had a tech 2 weeks ago collect data while i was driving and was told the torque converter seems to lose pressure while slowing down causing the transmission to downshift into first instead of second. I don’t know if it’s possible since i know nothing about that but one would belive the torque converter would do the same depending on the driving mode.

Toyota Canada didn’t directly admit to the problem but was told that multiples inquiries were made and that Toyota is collecting data on it.

I went to my dealer today since my transmission started to do a clunking sound when coming to a stop and was told by the master tech that they anticipate a fix soon but could not confirm how soon. They did however make the clunking go away with a system reset with their ecm modules..[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
339 Posts
I got my Rav4 last week and I did feel the Transmission lurking-jerk. To me it's not an issue just need to adjust my driving habits but I hear you, it can get annoying. Do you think this so-called issue can reduce the LT life-span of the transmission ?

I contact Toyota Corp. in January about the hard shifting coming to a full stop and the lurking jerk when not fully stopping and then pressing gas (hesitation). Toyota does not want to acknowledge there's a problem. My question is, with so many people complaining about the transmission on forums, Edmunds, ect. What have you done or Toyota said about doing anything? Any updates coming, fixes, is car acting better after putting more miles on it? Any updates would help because this transmission is unacceptable.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got my Rav4 last week and I did feel the Transmission lurking-jerk. To me it's not an issue just need to adjust my driving habits but I hear you, it can get annoying. Do you think this so-called issue can reduce the LT life-span of the transmission ?

My issue is more of a hard shift when coming to a full stop. Some people are having same issues as mine, but most are just experiencing the rolling hesitation lurk. With my car and others that posted, we have 2 problems with transmission. The hesitation stop doesn't bother me. I'm more concerned about the 2nd problem which is the hard downshift when coming to a full stop.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I see, can you record it on your phone and upload it to us for all to see ? Or better yet, have someone record-tape it, safer. Thanks for the clarification.

My issue is more of a hard shift when coming to a full stop. Some people are having same issues as mine, but most are just experiencing the rolling hesitation lurk. With my car and others that posted, we have 2 problems with transmission. The hesitation stop doesn't bother me. I'm more concerned about the 2nd problem which is the hard downshift when coming to a full stop.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I see, can you record it on your phone and upload it to us for all to see ? Or better yet, have someone record-tape it, safer. Thanks for the clarification.

Andre.
No other way to say it, but tolerating a poorly performing vehicle based on expecting longevity is well, nuts. But, enjoy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Recording will not show the issue. Its more of a feel, it's like driving a 5 speed manual and stalling the car.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Since Toyota told me that there is nothing wrong with my vehicle (shift shock right before a complete stop and coast and go jerking) I requested that they do a buy back. The paperwork has been submitted and am waiting to hear back. I expect something by mid to late May.

The shift shock when stopping no long happens every single time I start out cold. It seems to be a bit less frequent, but I think I've noticed it after the vehicle has warmed up now.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Do you think this so-called issue can reduce the LT life-span of the transmission ?
It would be hard to imagine shift shock not reducing the service life of the transmission and perhaps other power train components. When gears, etc. engage forcefully, that increased force results in increased wear. Depending on the circumstances and frequency, it could be negligible, or not. Hard to tell, but I would expect something significant if it is occurring on a regular basis.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Questions I am asking myself :

==== Is this ''lurking jerk'' normal ?
==== Did Toyota design it this why ?
==== If this is NOT normal, then will the transmission break prematurely or won't last as long ?
==== I am trying to adjust my driving habit to accommodate this new tranny but I do have to admit that sometimes it gets annoying !
==== BIG question is, is this transmission NORMAL AS TOYOTA ENGINEERS HAD INTEND IT TO BE ???

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not normal, Most people do not have this problem. There are some people that are having this problem, New car should not shift like this. I have 2800 miles and it still hard shifts coming to a stop when are is cold. After about 10-15 mins the problem goes away. I would advise to contact Toyota Corp and open a case. The more complaints maybe they would release tsb (update).

·
Registered
339 Posts
Does your problem go away 100% after 10-15 min ?

Tomorrow, I will call Toyota Canada and hear what they have to say and if possible I will try to open a case.

Not normal, Most people do not have this problem. There are some people that are having this problem, New car should not shift like this. I have 2800 miles and it still hard shifts coming to a stop when are is cold. After about 10-15 mins the problem goes away. I would advise to contact Toyota Corp and open a case. The more complaints maybe they would release tsb (update).

·
Registered
339 Posts
When you say ''Toyota told me '' do you mean Toyota USA or your Toyota Dealer where you bought the Rav4 ???

Since Toyota told me that there is nothing wrong with my vehicle (shift shock right before a complete stop and coast and go jerking) I requested that they do a buy back. The paperwork has been submitted and am waiting to hear back. I expect something by mid to late May.

The shift shock when stopping no long happens every single time I start out cold. It seems to be a bit less frequent, but I think I've noticed it after the vehicle has warmed up now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When you say ''Toyota told me '' do you mean Toyota USA or your Toyota Dealer where you bought the Rav4 ???

Toyota USA

·
Registered
73 Posts
==== Did Toyota design it this why ?

==== BIG question is, is this transmission NORMAL AS TOYOTA ENGINEERS HAD INTEND IT TO BE ???
I don't own one yet (I'll be getting the Hybrid when I do), but from everyone's description of the problem, I can't imagine that the engineers designed it to work the way it does. Something is wrong.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I don't own one yet (I'll be getting the Hybrid when I do), but from everyone's description of the problem, I can't imagine that the engineers designed it to work the way it does. Something is wrong.
Be happy you won't have this issue since the Hybrid do not share the same transmission !

1 - 20 of 135 Posts
About this Discussion
134 Replies
38 Participants
Quickdtoo
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing