Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
I don't own one yet (I'll be getting the Hybrid when I do), but from everyone's description of the problem, I can't imagine that the engineers designed it to work the way it does. Something is wrong.

I would agree. Buyers of cars are well informed about cars and how they should drive etc. It would seem to me very unlikely that the engineers at Toyota would 'design' a car with a problem like this, when the news of a problem can be spread so fast among owners to see if the problem is common or not. As this problem is so obvious to some owners, there should be prompt response from Toyota. Class action law suits, safety actions, bad publicity, can be very expensive as we all know (for lots of different kinds of products). This is not the kind of problem like the Takada airbags where no one new until years after the faulty airbags were installed, How much did that cost??? Keep reporting and providing information to the buying public.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Well i know for sure i made 4 peoples buy something else than a Rav 4 after i told them my issue and explained how toyota is treating me. I won’t stop until a fix is made since i believe people need to be made aware of these issue.

·
Registered
73 Posts
From the description of the problem, I still say that it's a problem. I've been driving automatics for a long time now and have never had one do what is being described by some of you folks. And I don't think it has anything to do with the number of gears now available. My Chevy Equinox has six gears and doesn't clunk into a lower gear when stopping. Just yesterday I test drove a new 2019 Chevy Equinox 2.0T with a nine speed transmission. It was able to find the right gear and downshift to first when stopping, all without clunking into a gear. It did it smoothly, as it should.

I truly feel bad for you folks with this problem, and I hope Toyota does the right thing eventually. In the meantime I have decided to back away from even the RAV4 Hybrid that I had been interested in. I drove that again yesterday and realized that the seat was not as comfortable for me as it should have been. I also think that I had become enamored with the whole hybrid thing. When I left the Toyota dealer I went right to the Chevy dealer and drove the 2.0 Turbo. I was more comfortable in the seat and the 252 hp. is way more fun than the hybrid. Of course I won't get 38-40 mpg, but life is short. So for now I'm backing off of the RAV. My wife might decide that she wants one though. She hasn't been car shopping yet.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Yes I agree with you 100%, people need to be aware.

Well i know for sure i made 4 peoples buy something else than a Rav 4 after i told them my issue and explained how toyota is treating me. I won’t stop until a fix is made since i believe people need to be made aware of these issue.

·
Registered
381 Posts
The thing with the hybrid is you won’t notice these transmission issue since it’s a cvt so thats nice, but i know for my part, getting the hybrid won’t make the shaking mirror, lack of sound deadening, cracking plastic, etc go away... That’s why i did my sound deadening project, i fixed everything i was able go do my-self. I don’t have shaking mirrors, cracking plastic anymore and my road noise are reduced significally.

Now only of they could fix that programming.. I’d have nothing to say about my Rav after that.

My ride confort, interior space, fuel economy and the look is just what made me choose the Rav over the crv, cx5, Santa fe and terrain.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Since Toyota told me that there is nothing wrong with my vehicle (shift shock right before a complete stop and coast and go jerking) I requested that they do a buy back. The paperwork has been submitted and am waiting to hear back. I expect something by mid to late May.
Haven't seen an update from you about this -- how's the buy back been going, eh?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Many years ago I remember stumbling across a website at http://www.myaudittsucks.com

Guy was having many problems with his Audi TT and wasn't getting satisfaction from them. He registered the name and put his info online for anyone to stumble on when they searched for info about the Audi TT.

It is still up. May not have the exact same content any more, but, hey, it's an option.

A tip for anyone searching for a web domain to buy. Don't willy-nilly search for available domains on some random Registrar's site. Many of them will register domains that people check and then make you pay more to transfer them. If you search, buy the domain you find then and there. (If this doesn't make sense, don't worry as it then likely doesn't apply to you.)

Good luck with your transmission.

Rob

·
Registered
194 Posts
The thing with the hybrid is you won’t notice these transmission issue since it’s a cvt so thats nice, but i know for my part, getting the hybrid won’t make the shaking mirror, lack of sound deadening, cracking plastic, etc go away... That’s why i did my sound deadening project, i fixed everything i was able go do my-self. I don’t have shaking mirrors, cracking plastic anymore and my road noise are reduced significally.

Now only of they could fix that programming.. I’d have nothing to say about my Rav after that.

My ride confort, interior space, fuel economy and the look is just what made me choose the Rav over the crv, cx5, Santa fe and terrain.
Some people create their own problems...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought a RAV4 a month ago.

In the last 15 years, I've driven cars ranging from 1950s... to late model cars. Early day automatics, manuals, late model automatics, CVTs, etc. Over 300K miles driven... I would say half city, half freeway.... in my current lifetime.

Fords, Chevys, VWs, Lincolns, Toyotas, Jeeps, Land Rovers, Hondas, Minis, Mazdas, Nissans, BMWs. I think I've had my fair share of American, Japanese, German, Bankrupt British... variety of Makes and Models...

Most cars were autos. A few were manuals. Auto or manual, they were ALWAYS BUTTER SMOOTH whether I drove like a saint (like a grandma) or a maniac (flooring it... stomping it... from stop sign to stop sign). I'm not one for promoting reckless driving, but let's say I've had my fair share. Regardless, I always felt in control each car I've driven before.

Now... just got a 2018 RAV4 a month ago. Here's my review.

Roll to a stop and gas... LURCH. Drive at 65 MPH and give it a little bit of gas... Car decides to go wide open throttle. Drive it like a grandma in Eco mode... I STILL feel all the little downshifts and lurches. Oh, don't forget about the terrible torque steer with half throttle in a turn!

Either this transmission has TERRIBLE gear ratios or it just had POOR shift programming. FINAL REVIEW: MY BICYCLE HAS SMOOTHER GEAR SHIFTING THAN THIS AISIN 8 SPEED!!!!!! /rant

·
Registered
338 Posts
You are having a transmission issue with your NEW 2018 Rav4, yea OK. Thanks for letting me know.

In the last 15 years, I've driven cars ranging from 1950s... to late model cars. Early day automatics, manuals, late model automatics, CVTs, etc. Over 300K miles driven... I would say half city, half freeway.... in my current lifetime.

Fords, Chevys, VWs, Lincolns, Toyotas, Jeeps, Land Rovers, Hondas, Minis, Mazdas, Nissans, BMWs. I think I've had my fair share of American, Japanese, German, Bankrupt British... variety of Makes and Models...

Most cars were autos. A few were manuals. Auto or manual, they were ALWAYS BUTTER SMOOTH whether I drove like a saint (like a grandma) or a maniac (flooring it... stomping it... from stop sign to stop sign). I'm not one for promoting reckless driving, but let's say I've had my fair share. Regardless, I always felt in control each car I've driven before.

Roll to a stop and gas... LURCH. Drive at 65 MPH and give it a little bit of gas... Car decides to go wide open throttle. Drive it like a grandma in Eco mode... I STILL feel all the little downshifts and lurches. Oh, don't forget about the terrible torque steer with half throttle in a turn!

Either this transmission has TERRIBLE gear ratios or it just had POOR shift programming. FINAL REVIEW: MY BICYCLE HAS SMOOTHER GEAR SHIFTING THAN THIS AISIN 8 SPEED!!!!!! /rant

·
Registered
122 Posts

Did you mean 2019 Rav4 and not 2018? Because you are in the wrong discussion area if you are talking about a 2018.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Mentioned the 8 speed, so has to be the 2019. Another happy customer!

Only have the “coast and go” issue on mine, otherwise I’m pretty happy with the 8-speed. Sounds like some QA/QC issues if a few are perfect, few have a few issues and others are downright awful.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm taking my new Hybrid in to the dealer to have my body side moldings installed on Saturday. They said it is about a 2 hour job and offered me a loaner. I hope they give me a GAS RAV4...I want to see this for myself, if I can.

Rob

·
Registered
248 Posts
I'm taking my new Hybrid in to the dealer to have my body side moldings installed on Saturday. They said it is about a 2 hour job and offered me a loaner. I hope they give me a GAS RAV4...I want to see this for myself, if I can.

Rob
Wow, nice dealer! I can’t even get a loaner when I need to leave the car there the whole day lol.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Wow, nice dealer! I can’t even get a loaner when I need to leave the car there the whole day lol.
When I purchased my vehicle, they literally made me sign a document stating "loaners not available." I thought it was ridiculous at first but didn't mind too much given the fact I bought the car an hour away from home. I probably won't be servicing it there anyways lol

21 - 40 of 129 Posts
About this Discussion
128 Replies
35 Participants
Quickdtoo
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing