Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, it looks like this is the only deer guard I can find for my 1999 Rav 4 door. I looked through earlier threads and didn't find an answer to this.

Anyone who has installed this, did it go on easily enough or did you have to drill new holes or make special brackets?

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
Can't answer your question, but are you certain that you want to install one of these guards? The RAV isn't designed to be able to support a grill guard especially since the RAV isn't built on a frame, unlike for example pickup trucks which do have a frame. The result is that if you hit something with a guard installed the upper part of the guard will be pushed back into the entire front of the RAV, most likely causing more damage than would be experienced by hitting a deer or whatever without the guard installed.

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
OK...wasn't set on it but I do worry about deer...thanks...

Am also concerned about deer, especially when riding my motorcycle on our roads with forest close in on both sides and with lots of deer, elk, etc.

·
Super Moderator
768 Posts
I concur that the sole purpose of any RAV4 "guard" is purely cosmetic, or as a platform to install accessories (off-road lights for instance).

There are four pre-drilled holes (two per side) where factory accessories of this kind were fastened.
I expect (but can't confirm) that the brackets provided by Black Horse use the same attachment points as well (the company should provide instructions nevertheless).
The following photo reveals their location, to the inner side of the towing hooks (green arrows).
The visible ones (in the photo) are concealed by the bumper cover, while the other ones are directly below and can be accessed without removing the cover:

(http://www.rav4world.com/forums/members/albums/37389-mick-hatzo/used-forums-8706-picture50298-grille-guard-mounting-holes.jpg)

Note that the recommended bolts for those holes need to have finer thread pitch. Toyota recommends M10 diameter bolts, 30mm in length with a pitch of 1.25mm.
Check the following installation manual for further insight:
https://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads/%7B6DECF2F7-373C-49EE-8A89-5F3EC38ECBB7%7D/Front%20Guard%20PZ415-X1950-ZA_ZB.pdf

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,013 Posts
I installed a Black Grille Bumper Guards Brush Bull Push Crash Bar purchased on eBay. You can see in the attached photo where it is bolted on. There are upper straps that aren't functional. I'm working several projects on the RAV4, going to make the brush guard more functional by reworking the upper connection points. And, I agree that the way they are bolted on (stock) that a brush guard may not do much to prevent damage but a big reason for it is to keep the deer out of the cab when they flip up on the hood and into the windshield.

I too worry about deer as I have to drive often when and where the deer are very active.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sorry to open up an old thread... I have a brush guard that looks exactly like the black horse one, however it is not black horse. The mounting hardware is the same however.
These brackets that came with with my kit are the same as the blackhorse ones according to the blackhorse installation manual. I don't know how these brackets are supposed to mount to those bolting points. Is it just one, or the other they are supposed to bolt into, or both? If anyone has more in depth pictures of the process that'd be great.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,013 Posts
You can mount it without much modification. However, I found that the upper bracket bolted to the extremely light weight bar that supports the horns isn't sufficient to provide any real support. I cut the front bumper cover and ran those same brackets down to the bumper support posts where I drilled a hole for the mounting bolts. This mod is not visible when the grill guard is mounted.
It's difficult to get photos in that area that really show anything.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm not too worried about the upper mounting, I'm more worried about the lower mounting. I don't see where I can mount the big U shaped brackets. Not the flat ones. I had a feeling I'd have to bend the flat ones to get them mounted securely.

·
Registered
58 Posts
After reading your post again I understand what you meant. What is this, "not much modification"? I'm going to attempt taking off the bumper and give it a good look again.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
It's been a while since I installed mine but it wasn't difficult. The only initial mods I performed was to redirect the upper mounting brackets downward because as I stated I didn't find the recommended mounting location to be sturdy enough. I know I didn't have to drill, cut or bend any of my mounting brackets.
I have since added a tow bar baseplate forcing me to merge the brush guard and baseplate brackets, that required a bit of cutting and welding so I can't get any photos of the current mounts, I had a few older ones that I provided below.

Photo of the upper mount mod.
Photo of lower mount installed.

·
Registered
58 Posts
So you have it mounted through the original tow hook hole? Correct me if I'm wrong. That's what it looks like to me. The washers with the kit aren't big enough, they just come right though.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Yes, it mounts through the tow hook holes. I replaced my nuts, bolts, and washers that came with it with stainless steel ones.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I hope that works for me. Does the bumper have to come off? I attempted the tow hook way and there wasn't a lot of clearance (gaps between metals). Maybe I can angle grind the access off and get bigger washers and nuts from the hard ware store.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
I didn't have to take my bumper cover off when I initially installed it using the designed upper mounting points, but I did when I moved it to the lower position so that I could drill holes in the bumper support. I also had to drill a new hole in the brush guard. If you remove the front bumper cover, spray the bolts well with b'laster and let it soak a while and/or have a bunch of new bolts ready to replace the ones you shear off. You will also need to drill out the old bolts when sheared. The lower ones I just zip tied them back on.

Checkout my mods and maintenance ¡Ay, Caramba! RAV4.1, 1999, 4x4, 5sp, RedNeck Edition

·
Registered
58 Posts
The bolts you are referring too are already gone. There were gone when I got mine. They aren't for the bumper or splash guard. And I have two bolts from the kit that fit there. Just really tight, I've already had a mess with breaking weld nuts so I'll give them a good cleaning before I try to tread any bolts up in there! Haha

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Yeah, those bumper cover bolts shear right off. I think almost all of mine sheared.
Oh, I forgot to mention that all of the nuts I used for the brush guard are lock nuts. If you don't use stainless steel nuts, bolts, and washers they rust quickly and look terrible.
Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Oh the bumper fasteners. I've only sheered off one, but that was from over torquing. The others are still intact and come out freely, my splash guards have been off ever since I fixed an exhaust leak. Too lazy to put them back on. I'll work on replacing those nuts and bolts. I'll post pictures of my progress. Hopefully done this week!

·
Registered
58 Posts
So I did it. I used the bolts from the kit. I know you said they'd rust but I'm gonna primer them. Everything seems to fit perfectly, other than the upper mounting brackets are a little odd, and the gated part over the head lamps are a tad askew. Not sure how to align it. But other than that it looks good. I got to install the fog lamps this weekend. 😁

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts