Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Rav 4 Limited V6. I love this vehicle because of the power, amount of cargo space and styling. The however is that I have a lot of mileage and it may be time for a trade.

I was so disappointed when I drove the new 2016 Rav 4. The drive was so sluggish in comparison to what I have now. Someone suggested I test drive the hybrid. Does it really have more power and torque? On paper it does but did anyone else buy the hybrid because it was simply a more powerful ride?

If Toyota at least had a turbo model, I would be happy. I love having the power and don't know what to do.

Thoughts? Experiences?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts

·
Registered
8,576 Posts
Hybrids in general including the RAV hybrid often have more torque and power, but that is true only as long as the battery is fully charged, so that added power is only available until the battery charge depletes as in heavy throttle application and the engine has to devote more of its power to moving the vehicle as well as trying to recharge the battery. The consequence is that the added hybrid power isn't constantly available, unlike the V6 RAV where it is constantly available.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My favorite hybrid characteristic is at speed, when you need to pass, you don't have to step on it and wait wait wait, no waiting for downshifting, the torque is instantly available (as long as you have a charged battery which is almost always unless you just used it all up in a traffic jam)... High torque AT SPEED is an extreme advantage, even the V6 can't pass like the hybrid: no way...

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
The sensible trade for you would be to get into a 2012 v6 with a lot less miles. Though is your high mileage 2009 even having any problems?

·
Super Moderator
11,133 Posts
High torque AT SPEED is an extreme advantage, even the V6 can't pass like the hybrid: no way...
Why do I not believe that? Admittedly I have not driven a hybrid but I don't buy it. Not arguing, just my uneducated opinion.
I think the new Hybrid is a winner on all fronts but that statement is a bit over the top.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Why do I not believe that? Admittedly I have not driven a hybrid but I don't buy it. Not arguing, just my uneducated opinion.
I think the new Hybrid is a winner on all fronts but that statement is a bit over the top.
Perhaps you should drive one. :wink

At speed, say anywhere from 20mph to 40mph, the hybrid has a boatload of torque available if you punch it. The gas version will still be deciding what to do while the hybrid is driving away. At 60mph, not so much.

·
Registered
8,576 Posts
Perhaps you should drive one. :wink

At speed, say anywhere from 20mph to 40mph, the hybrid has a boatload of torque available if you punch it. The gas version will still be deciding what to do while the hybrid is driving away. At 60mph, not so much.

Agree with RTexasF. RAV4 V6: 269 HP, 246 lb/ft torque
RAV4 hybrid: 194 total HP, 206 lb/ft torque
V6: 0-60 mph 6.4 sec
Hybrid: 0-60 mph 7.8 sec.

·
Registered
449 Posts
That torque on the V6 is not as instant available as in the Hybrid.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I recently drove a loaner 2015 and own a 2016 Hybrid. The Hybrid is nicer to drive...the CVT does feel smoother, has more pep, & is noticeably better than the conventional gearbox (if you don't mind a little whine when accelerating). I rented a V6 RAV4 AWD a few years ago and there is no comparison. That was a terrific vehicle! If you want the best new RAV4, the Hybrid is the one to get. The SE seems a poor value due to the standard drive chain.

Maybe wait for the new updated VW Tiguan next year. It may offer some of the performance you are seeking.

·
Registered
8,576 Posts
That torque on the V6 is not as instant available as in the Hybrid.

Perhaps true for a brief moment, but not nearly enough to overcome the V6's 0-60 mph acceleration superiority and overall torque and horsepower advantage.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts