Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'll consider myself lucky. From 9pm to 5am I'm paying 5 cents/kW and 11 cents for the other hours so for local driving I'm doing well with EV. Usually don't bother while traveling.

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime XSE Pro Audio/Dynamic Nav/Weather Packages Build date: June 2021
521 Posts
I'll consider myself lucky. From 9pm to 5am I'm paying 5 cents/kW and 11 cents for the other hours so for local driving I'm doing well with EV. Usually don't bother while traveling.
Did you use actual amount billed divided by number of kWh billed for? I ask because if those are exact amounts, 5c and 11c, that would be odd considering all of the fractions paid for fees/taxes etc. Our off peak will also be 5c, but actual will be closer to 13c or so.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Is the $.05/kWh total inclusive cost from the supplier (Generation + Distribution, Taxes, Fees, Bonds, Account charges, etc...) or just Generation cost?

Our supplier is about 7 cents a kilowatt, but then with all the other stuff the rate is around $.29/kwh at the end of the month bill when it all evens out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
To be fair yes there is another daily charge. Also, looking it up it's not 11 cents 5AM to 9PM. Sorry, I wasn't trying to purposely mislead anyone. Here's direct from the provider site.

Electric Vehicle Rate

This rate includes:

A service availability charge of $1.50/day
The service availability fee pays for some of OEC’s fixed costs, including distribution and generation capacity, line maintenance and system improvements, and costs for billing, member services and administration.
Year-Round
  • All kWhs from 5 AM to 9 PM: 9¢/kWh
  • All kWhs from 9 PM to 5 AM: 5¢/kWh
Set Hours
This is a perfect rate for those who are able to shift energy use between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.. Members will recognize the most savings by switching energy consumption to the hours of 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yeah, we could also adjust W4 withholding to get more each paycheck to have a more even number at the end of the year, but didn't care to do so. (bought in June '21)

It is very much a buy now if you can and want to, vs lets wait and see what happens with the EV credits. Glad I got mine when I did - but I'd also love to rent a Tucson hybrid to see how the Hyundai fits us vs the Rav (seats, cargo, controls, type stuff).
I want to buy a SE for around MSRP. But still can't fingure out what number on form 1040 to use to determine if qualified for the full $7500.

·
Registered
RAV4 Prime XSE Premium
167 Posts
If you purchase by end of year and the "Build Back Better" bill is signed (which would become affective Jan. 1 2022) you are qualified for the full $7500. What you probably are looking for is how much of that will you actually be able to take advantage of.

I am not 100% certain, but I believe that to start you want to look at line 24 (at least that's the line number on the 2020 1040), which represents your total tax. If you look at the following lines there can be various adjustments/credits to that total tax, and I believe that's where the EV credit will be applied either in full if line 24 if greater than $7500, or in part if not.

If purchasing after Dec. 31 and the BBB is signed, the credit would change from $7500 to $4000.

I haven't talked to my accountant yet and it's a new thing for me as well, so again I'm not 100% certain.

·
Registered
2021 Prime SE
360 Posts
I want to buy a SE for around MSRP. But still can't figure out what number on form 1040 to use to determine if qualified for the full $7500.
A quick glance at the current 1040 form, seems to be line 16. If that is $7500 or above, you should be getting the full credit (pending any other credits that might tax preference, though - I'm not 100% on how the child tax credit plays in, etc - slab might be correct that line 24 would be more accurate for those with other credits to utilize).
You can always run an example tax return and see how it plays out, to be safe.

If you can get an SE at MSRP before 12/31 - that's hard to pass up. Currently the credit will drop to $4,000 in 2022 for a R4P, pending bill passage and Senate changes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
We converted some funds to Roth to make certain we owed the full $7500. Of course if they are able to pass a law breaking the agreement on Roths and double tax those funds it could be a bad decision.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts