Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a quick question, read the manual and couldn't really find an answer.

The battery recharges in Drive, but how about in Park? What about Reverse?

I know that in Neutral nothing gets charged.

Just preparing myself for the winter if I turn the car on while I remove the snow, and make sure the battery is being charged while in Park.

·
Premium Member
7,939 Posts
It charges in park, not sure of reverse, but I can't see staying in reverse for a short time to ever make a difference like staying in neutral for long periods.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts

Correct, always except in "N". In fact you can leave it "running" for days on a tank of fuel. It'll run for a while to warm up and charge, then shut off and run off the traction battery. People use this system as an emergency generator too, you can draw 1KW off the 12v battery or 3KW off the traction battery and the ICE will kick on and charge when needed. I keep an inverter system handy for power outages that can run the fridge and furnace off the Rav4.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I would never thought about this car being used in survival mode :D
The battery would charge in P mode, however, the engine warms up faster if you just drive the car instead of waiting for it to warm up at idle speed. You will waste a lot of fuel.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it's cold then I usually don't warm up a car and drive it.

If it's cold and there's a snowstorm, Ill turn it on and get it going while I de-ice or de-snow.

Thanks for the info guys.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Correct, always except in "N". In fact you can leave it "running" for days on a tank of fuel. It'll run for a while to warm up and charge, then shut off and run off the traction battery. People use this system as an emergency generator too, you can draw 1KW off the 12v battery or 3KW off the traction battery and the ICE will kick on and charge when needed. I keep an inverter system handy for power outages that can run the fridge and furnace off the Rav4.
rdgrimes, would you mind giving a few details about the inverter system you have to use for your house? What type of inverter and how is it connected to your home's circuit breaker etc. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
7,939 Posts

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
rdgrimes, would you mind giving a few details about the inverter system you have to use for your house? What type of inverter and how is it connected to your home's circuit breaker etc. Thank you.
You generally want a "pure sine wave inverter" to run today's complex electronic controls and motors. Mine has 2 outlets on it that I just connect extension cords to. I just clamp it onto the 12v battery terminals. If you want to go with a bigger system and tap directly into the traction battery, you need to do more reading. The Prius forums are full of such stuff. Usually that involves installing permanent taps and outlets.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
I would never thought about this car being used in survival mode :D
The battery would charge in P mode, however, the engine warms up faster if you just drive the car instead of waiting for it to warm up at idle speed. You will waste a lot of fuel.
Agreed, but it's nice to have the heater working the interior and glass while you clear snow and ice.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Agreed, but it's nice to have the heater working the interior and glass while you clear snow and ice.
OT for this thread, but if you want HEAT you need the car to be moving. Sitting still the system won't run much or make much heat. Most folks opt for a pre-heater system or at least a block heater if they want instant heat.

·
Registered
2020 XSE
20 Posts

I know that in Neutral nothing gets charged.

Just preparing myself for the winter if I turn the car on while I remove the snow, and make sure the battery is being charged while in Park.
It charges more in Park than in Drive. I installed a battery monitor that sends moment by moment data to my cell phone regarding the 12v battery voltage. I want to know what my 12v battery voltage is because there are a lot of 'computers' on my 2020 XSE that drain charge from the 12 v even when the vehicle is turned off. I'm no expert. I'm learning as I go. I've read that a 12v battery with a charge of 12.6 volts is considered to be fully charged. 12.4 v is 75%. 12.2 v is 50%. 12.0 v is 25%. 11.8 v is a dead battery. To my shock, mine died a month ago, probably from not driving it enough, due to health reasons, to recover the charge lost overnight. What the battery monitor shows me, is that just before I start my vehicle in the morning, the 12v battery might have say 12.5 volts. While driving, the charge is 12.85 volts. When I put the vehicle in park but don't switch it off, the charge is 14.4 volts. Leaving the vehicle switched on and in Park is an effective way to recharge the 12 v battery

·
Registered
2018 RAV4 Hybrid Limited
109 Posts
@AShooter; I think the OP was asking about the traction (hybrid drive) battery, not the little 12v "starts things up" battery. ;)

·
Registered
695 Posts
Here is a video with good information on the HSD charging system,

It charges more in Park than in Drive. I installed a battery monitor that sends moment by moment data to my cell phone regarding the 12v battery voltage. I want to know what my 12v battery voltage is because there are a lot of 'computers' on my 2020 XSE that drain charge from the 12 v even when the vehicle is turned off. I'm no expert. I'm learning as I go. I've read that a 12v battery with a charge of 12.6 volts is considered to be fully charged. 12.4 v is 75%. 12.2 v is 50%. 12.0 v is 25%. 11.8 v is a dead battery. To my shock, mine died a month ago, probably from not driving it enough, due to health reasons, to recover the charge lost overnight. What the battery monitor shows me, is that just before I start my vehicle in the morning, the 12v battery might have say 12.5 volts. While driving, the charge is 12.85 volts. When I put the vehicle in park but don't switch it off, the charge is 14.4 volts. Leaving the vehicle switched on and in Park is an effective way to recharge the 12 v battery

·
Registered
2018 RAV4 Hybrid Limited
109 Posts
@Variman; Again, I think the OP was asking about charging the TRACTION battery, not the 12v auxiliary battery.

But I do love the Weber State YouTubes. Prof. Kelly does a great job explaining things! (y)

·
Registered
695 Posts
The OP wrote "Just preparing myself for the winter if I turn the car on while I remove the snow, and make sure the battery is being charged while in Park."
Sure sounds like the 12 volt to me. Besides, now that I have checked, the original posted hasn't logged on in over a year so it properly doesn't matter anyway.

@Variman; Again, I think the OP was asking about charging the TRACTION battery, not the 12v auxiliary battery.

But I do love the Weber State YouTubes. Prof. Kelly does a great job explaining things! (y)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts