Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming from an Infiniti G37, and looking for something with better range. I drive a lot to Orlando, which is 400 miles from me and the G37 always got me there with under a quarter tank. I'm very impressed with the advertised 500+ range of the RAV4 XSE Hybrid. However, is this actually the true range for everyday driving? Being new to the RAV4, I've read quite a few articles about fuel tank issues and people not getting anywhere near the advertised distance.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Suggest you ask this in the 4.5 hybrid forum, you’ll get plenty of comments there. This area is set for vehicles 2006-2012.

·
Super Moderator
9,897 Posts
Moved to 4.5 Hybrid where the action is!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I always fill at or around 50 DTE.
I mostly do highway driving and I average around 801km +-50km. I would love to spend enough time in a city to see how high i could get it if i only drove short distances. So in short, yes it does. But have i gotten lower fill numbers at certain gas stations where I cant slow my fill as im nearing the top? Yes I have and that results in a 760DTE vs 870DTE. So there is potential to lose out on 100km of range if you gun your fueling and fill up at gas stations where the pumps are powerful and dont allow you to slowly fill the last couple litres. It doesnt bother me it just takes an extra 5 seconds to listen to the sound change(as you hear the fuel reaching the tube)/ adjust the fill speed when its filled correctly.

DTE is an estimate. As ive only been doing mostly highway driving its usually around 70 to 100km less than the DTE estimate after filling.

·
Registered
445 Posts
@CHStraveler, person A buys the car, drives it like the previous car, a G37, and absolutely will not get 500 miles on a tank. Person B buys the car, drives it to maximize MPGs (i.e. like a grandpa), and definitely can get 500, or dare I say even 600 miles on a tank. Are you an A or a B?

·
Registered
66 Posts
@CHStraveler, person A buys the car, drives it like the previous car, a G37, and absolutely will not get 500 miles on a tank. Person B buys the car, drives it to maximize MPGs (i.e. like a grandpa), and definitely can get 500, or dare I say even 600 miles on a tank. Are you an A or a B?
At a 20 gallon tank, and a rated 27 mpg hwy for the G37, i'd say OP is driving their G37 like a hybrid.

·
Registered
331 Posts
We get 500+ miles every tank in the SF bay area so we never have snow to deal with. But consistently get 43 MPG with mainly freeway driving.

Two times I have gone over 600 miles on a tank: Best 616 with mainly freeway driving. Up to 70 mph it is pretty gentle on gas.

The Fuel gauge in the car is faulty in all the 2019's and first half of 2020. They may have fixed it by now. These cars tell you they are empty when you have 4 gallons left. Faulty gauge or huge reserve. Your choice of interpretation.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Oh, about 500 people will tell you they can't fill their tank all the way. But this is not really true. They are not EMPTYING their tank all the way due to the faulty gauge. And understandably, many are afraid to drive 100 miles past when the needle is on E. So many "settle" for 400 miles per tank and add only 9 or 10 gallons each trip to the gas station because of the way early low fuel warning.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Moved to 4.5 Hybrid where the action is!

Combination of both. Usually less spirited driving on those longer road trips.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We get 500+ miles every tank in the SF bay area so we never have snow to deal with. But consistently get 43 MPG with mainly freeway driving.

Two times I have gone over 600 miles on a tank: Best 616 with mainly freeway driving. Up to 70 mph it is pretty gentle on gas.

The Fuel gauge in the car is faulty in all the 2019's and first half of 2020. They may have fixed it by now. These cars tell you they are empty when you have 4 gallons left. Faulty gauge or huge reserve. Your choice of interpretation.

Thanks for the feedback! Good to know on the fuel gauge. I haven't seen anything about that yet.

·
Super Moderator
9,897 Posts
I consistently get 500 miles by 'slow trickle' overfilling and driving ~50 past zero miles to empty.
Very true and accurate. Many owners don't get 500+ miles but have generated 5000+ posts on the subject, most of them here: Have you had trouble filling your hybrid gas tank?
Feel free to read for a few hours but a synopsis is thus:

As andaconda says to get max range you need to understand the system and be willing to "work with it" by stretching both ends of the fuel tank. On the empty end that means using about two gallons of the approximately four left when the gauge/DTE indicates it's time to refuel. And on the full end (due IMO to a venting issue) it means clicking past the gas pump's autostop to "overfill" by about two gallons.

If you do neither you'll "lose" the miles from those four gallons resulting in the approximately 350 mile range many have reported. Some out of frustration have had their tanks replaced or even gotten buybacks from Toyota.

I don't own a RAV4 Hybrid but do have a parallel experience with my 2018 Accord Hybrid. My fuel gauge is accurate and the tank vents properly such that I often refill 11 gallons in a 12 gallon tank resulting in a consistent 500+ mile range.

Many owners are getting letters regarding the long awaited "FIX" to solve both the gauge and tank issues. My opinion is Honda got it right so Toyota should too but it never would've been an issue if some engineer at Toyota hadn't mentioned a possible 600 mile range before the release of the RAV4 Hybrid. That raised expectations such that "only 500" was a letdown and 350 was this-car-is-junk, I want my money back.

·
Registered
332 Posts
500 miles = 800km roughly. Last two fill ups have been 840 and 850 km without running below 0km DTE. Filling up slowly for more consistency in the fill volume. Seems to help. So in short, 500miles can be achieved.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Haha I had a G35 6speed coupe before this car. I went from being A to B. Hybrids make you become a grandpa driver.

·
Super Moderator
9,897 Posts
Hybrids make you become a grandpa driver.
I'm only a grandpa driver when grandma is riding shotgun. When I'm alone it's definitely the-pedal-on-the-right.

Reactions: andaconda and Urmil

·
Registered
690 Posts
Moving away from anecdotes slightly, there's an app and site called Fuelly that people use to track their fuel economy. This gives real-world fuel economy numbers, as opposed to EPA estimates. Last I checked, the average fuel economy for a 2019-2020 RAV4 Hybrid on that site was 37 MPG, with something like 2 million miles of data. A bit lower than EPA, as with most vehicles. If you're hoping for a 500 mile range, that requires 13.5 gallons of fuel while the tank holds 14.5.

But, there's two caveats here.

First, Fuelly doesn't break that down into highway vs city driving. So if you're specifically asking if it has 500 miles of highway range that's a bit harder to answer from this data. And don't forget that fuel economy depends a lot on your speed -- a 55 MPH highway will give excellent fuel economy, but speeding at 85 on an interstate is another matter altogether. But a 500 mile range on a 14.5 gallon tank only needs 34.5 MPG, which I feel confident to say is still reasonable for this car.

Second, the RAV4 Hybrid has a refueling problem. See other posts on this forum for the full story, but here's a recap. There seem to be two problems: in the first is that the fuel gauge is overly conservative and provides a very, very large reserve. So an "empty" tank still has maybe 3 or 3.5 gallons in it, or around 120 miles. So if you want to get the full range you have to drive past empty and by quite a bit. Many people aren't comfortable with that, especially on highways. And the second problem is that it sometimes won't fill to full without extra effort. Filling like you would normally do will leave the tank at 7/8ths full, and for some people it's even worse (like 3/4 full). So that can reduce your range as well. Not all people have these problems, of course, and (as far as I can tell) when they do it's only one or the other. Toyota has sent owners a letter telling them a fix for this is in the works.

In the end, I estimate your hypothetical 400 mile trip would use somewhere around 10-11.5 gallons of fuel, and that's well within the RAV4's capabilities. Though you might have to work to get a full tank, or you might be driving until the gauge reads empty even though there's still a quarter tank in there.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Ok, and can you drive 500+ miles on a tank (without going past E)?
What does that have to do with it? There were comments above that driving a hybrid makes you drive like Grandpa. I don't. I get between 36-38 on the highway (driving between 70 and 80) and about 41 in the city. Before COVID hit The Rav was putting in 8-10 gallons of fuel a week versus our Sonata that required close to 16 for similar traveled miles. Good enough for me.

I have zero expectation that you will get EPA MPG (Sticker EPA) every single tank regardless of all other variables. And I don't run the Rav down to vapors either as I usually fill about 1/4ish. Our MPG goes down in the winter a few MPG and has come roaring back in the summer.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts