Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Been thinking of getting a Rav4 Prime. So it appears that the Rav4P does not have the same gas tank issue like its hybrid counterpart, which is a positive.

How about the 12V battery? Seems like many 2020 Rav4 Hybrid owners upset (and rightfully so) that their 12V batteries are dying and suffering from possible parasitic drain. How is the Rav4 Prime 12V battery? Is it holding up okay?

Also as comparison, fwiw, it seems like Tesla Model 3 owners suffer through premature 12V battery issues as well. Owners report their 12V batteries die very quickly, some with no warning. Lifespan about 1.5 years... So I'm wondering how the Rav4 Prime's 12V batteries will hold. I suppose Prius Prime's 12V battery is a better comparison point?

·
Registered
850 Posts
I own the 2019 hybrid with no issues with my 12 v battery draining vs many who own the 2020 hybrid

Do we know the cause of the battery drain and why it is not prevalent in the 2019 model year.

We have only owned our Prime for one month come Sept 7th and we have experienced no issues but I am not certain the issues that present themselves when a 12 v battery is drained?

If the 12v battery drains does the automobile loose auxiliary functions like radio settings, drive mode settings etc are lost?

If the 12v dies does that mean the ice will not start?

If all the above are functions of the 12 volt battery I personally have not experienced the ice not turning over when called upon or setting that have been customized loose and default to factory settings.

Russ

·
Registered
22 Posts
You should ask again in 6 months. Don't think many people have had their vehicle for that long. Had mine for 2 weeks now, so far no issues though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Major 12v battery recharge problem on my rav4 prime xse. Its been at the dealers for 3 days now (as of today). They are in a discussion with Toyota engineers to find the problem. Seems like it hasn't happened that often. It had 1200km (750mi)on it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Major 12v battery recharge problem on my rav4 prime xse. Its been at the dealers for 3 days now (as of today). They are in a discussion with Toyota engineers to find the problem. Seems like it hasn't happened that often. It had 1200km (750mi)on it.
Yikes, was your Rav4P not able to start?

Hope you are able to get it resolved, and definitely hope the 12V battery is not a widespread issue with the RV4P as it appears to be still with the Rav4 Hybrid.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Actually, when the code and text message came on we were about 1km away from the dealer so I can't say if it would start or not. Nevertheless, we left the dealer with a corolla waiting for the repair. What I know so far is that when they reset the car the problem comes back right away. Were in our low 25-30°F(-10°c) up here if the temperature has anything to do with it. Don't know if it gets that cold in Japan :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Let's not compare Tesla to anything.
The traction battery when charging also charges the 12v battery, whenever it's plugged in it gets topped off.
The rav4 hybrid doesn't charge the 12v unless it's running, and like a prius needs to be topped off at least 4 times a year.

·
Registered
850 Posts
3 month owner Nov 7th.

No issue with 12 volt battery or fuel tank not filling of course I am still on the same tank I filled up on Aug 7th after returning home (Utah) from Oregon

My only beef is cold weather (24 degrees ambient) knocks the range 20% if you want any heat in the cabin.

I may need to wear thick gloves, knit cap and a big coat and just drive cold and roll down the window to avoid fogging up the window if I need more range.

·
Registered
375 Posts
The heat thing is a bit of an odd dilemma. It really only apply to trips that are between 80% and 100% of the "unheated" range. If you going more than, well, just call it 42 miles, you might as well turn on the engine right away, get some heat out of it, then go back to EV once the engine is warm. And if you are going less than about 34 miles, you can just use the heat, stay in EV mode, and likely make it all the way.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hate to dig up an ol
Actually, when the code and text message came on we were about 1km away from the dealer so I can't say if it would start or not. Nevertheless, we left the dealer with a corolla waiting for the repair. What I know so far is that when they reset the car the problem comes back right away. Were in our low 25-30°F(-10°c) up here if the temperature has anything to do with it. Don't know if it gets that cold in Japan :)
Hate to dig up an old thread, but what was the outcome?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Would like an update on that issue? I saw this issue with Prime owner in Canada and might appears with cold temperature. thanks!

·
Registered
294 Posts
I hope Toyota follows Hyundai's new hybrid system. This is awesome, and I could never understand why the major EV players weren't doing this sooner:

You would have figured someone like Tesla would have thought of something like this first. I’ll give props to Hyundai. I like this. Much better than having another stupid 12V battery.

·
Registered
Toyota RAV-4 2013
38 Posts
There was a service bulletin put out in December regarding some bolts that need to be replaced. It may apply to some “hybrid system malfunction” / 12V battery issues.

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime XSE
157 Posts
Hi everyone,

Been thinking of getting a Rav4 Prime. So it appears that the Rav4P does not have the same gas tank issue like its hybrid counterpart, which is a positive.

How about the 12V battery? Seems like many 2020 Rav4 Hybrid owners upset (and rightfully so) that their 12V batteries are dying and suffering from possible parasitic drain. How is the Rav4 Prime 12V battery? Is it holding up okay?

Also as comparison, fwiw, it seems like Tesla Model 3 owners suffer through premature 12V battery issues as well. Owners report their 12V batteries die very quickly, some with no warning. Lifespan about 1.5 years... So I'm wondering how the Rav4 Prime's 12V batteries will hold. I suppose Prius Prime's 12V battery is a better comparison point?
Hi everyone,

I picked mine up last August no issues

·
Registered
375 Posts
The Hyundai system does look clever. But the only way to truly never have a dead battery is to disconnect it. That's not acceptable in modern cars. So it becomes important to have the "off" load really low. But if something goes wrong, a relay stick, whatever, you still run down the battery. With the Hyundai system, (unless there is an actual physical switch), the traction battery must be available all the time, which would seem to add some risk of killing the traction battery. It's a risk tradeoff.

·
Registered
850 Posts
You should ask again in 6 months. Don't think many people have had their vehicle for that long. Had mine for 2 weeks now, so far no issues though.
Prime owner 7 months March 7th.
Zero 12 volt battery issues.

We also own a 2019 Rav 4 hybrid.
Zero battery issues

1 - 20 of 31 Posts