Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when my gauge says 60 miles till refuel. Does that mean I'm out of gas in 60 miles, or does it mean in 60 miles I get a warning light/beep, and I really have another gallon or so? I've only filled my tank once so far, and it was still at 1/4 tank.

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
I've driven long after the low fuel warning came on, when the miles to empty reaches 0 it changes to refuel, I drove another 25-30 miles, still only took 12.1 gallons to refill the 14.8 gallon tank of the hybrid, so there's about 2-3 gallons reserve, others have reported the same.

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
I normally refuel between ¼ and ½ tank too, I think most drivers do, although my wife gets antsy when it hits ½!:shrug:

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
So when my gauge says 60 miles till refuel. Does that mean I'm out of gas in 60 miles, or does it mean in 60 miles I get a warning light/beep, and I really have another gallon or so? I've only filled my tank once so far, and it was still at 1/4 tank.
Its as good a guide as any, but don't forget there's also a very handy little fuel gauge on the dash that actually works! When that hits the bottom line you'd best be looking for a station.

To answer your question more directly, that "range" is based on your PAST average MPG. Its not magic, it can't predict what your future MPG will be.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My fuel gauge seems to be extremely conservative. I've had the computer report ~ 20 miles before empty and never was able to put more than 11.2 gallons in it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It has been recommended to me to never use the last couple of gallons in the tank. That eventually there is sediment that can shorten the life of the engine over time. Does this make any sense?

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
It has been recommended to me to never use the last couple of gallons in the tank. That eventually there is sediment that can shorten the life of the engine over time. Does this make any sense?

Not to me it doesn't, any sediment is always going to settle to the bottom of the tank where the fuel pick-up is located all the time whether the tank is full or otherwise. What does make sense is the fuel pump is cooled by the fuel, when the tank is extremely low it could lead to premature pump failure if repeatedly run low.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Not to me it doesn't, any sediment is always going to settle to the bottom of the tank where the fuel pick-up is located all the time whether the tank is full or otherwise. What does make sense is the fuel pump is cooled by the fuel, when the tank is extremely low it could lead to premature pump failure if repeatedly run low.
How low?

Thanks for being the guinea pigs guys. Really appreciate testing for the gang. :)
Does the amount of fuel in the tank matter? - Motor Vehicle Maintenance & Repair Stack Exchange

1 - 10 of 10 Posts