Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never experienced any corrective force applied to the steering wheel when purposefully trying to test it out. Lane departure alert has always worked very well. It doesn't steer assist in cruise, out of cruise, and at any speed.

Is it something that could have been disabled with Techstream? :confused:

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
Mine works fine, steering assist has to be turned on in the MID, it doesn't come on when the LDA button is turned on unless enabled, steering assist can be off even tho LDA is on, it's covered on page 248 in the '16 Hybrid .pdf manual.

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
Something is wrong unless one of the scenarios mentioned in the manual was present when you checked it, mine works real good, too good IMO, I turned mine off when it tried to correct steering and almost ran down a couple pedestrians walking on the shoulder when I crossed the centerline to give them a little room on a two lane road, I should have signaled I guess which should've disable it.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hands off steering wheel alert
When the system determines that the driver has removed the hands from the
steering wheel while the steering control function is operating, a warning
message is displayed on the multi-information display.
If the driver continues to keep the hands off of the steering wheel, a warning
message is displayed and the function is temporarily canceled. This alert also
operates in the same way when the vehicle is driven with the steering wheel
lightly gripped. However, depending on the road conditions, etc., the function
may not cancel.
Hmm. I don't think I ever saw this alert.

It does say the wheel has to be gripped not "lightly". I'm certainly not gripping it firmly all the time, it's very light steering. And not at the 10 and 2 position. Are there grip sensors in the steering wheel?

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
I seldom grip the wheel at 10 and 2 on long drives, 8 and 4 are more comfortable, the grip warning has only come on once in the many times I've tested the LDA and steering assist, never comes on holding at 8 and 4 unless I take both hands off the wheel for a while, doesn't display when holding the wheel with just one hand either.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I see mine flash an orange warning message now and then, usually when I am on a long, straight road, even though my hands are on the steering wheel.

I purposely left me hands off the steering wheel for a while to see if that would trigger it, and it did.

My steering assist does work, gently. I like it but it took a little while to get used to it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Steering assist does not work

I think the steering assist does not work properly in the RAV-4 2018. In the basic test it does not prevent me from crossing over to the adjacent lane. It is really disappointing and misleading.

·
Registered
56 Posts
2018 Limited Hybrid. I have my settings as shown in post #3 above. I have left elbow on window ledge and left finger and thumb around steering wheel cross bar most of the time. In testing drifting into the next lane I can feel a definite nudge of the wheel back in the direction of my lane. I generally then take over correction. I don't know if speed and approach angle of the lane divider stripes will result in more aggressive correction, but I'm happy for the nudge and "steering assist".

·
Registered
42 Posts
I tried to test it a few times, then couldn't tell it did really help to go back between lanes or even it did anything or not, I turned it OFF.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I tried to use mine yesterday on the Interstate in my 2016 Limited. It has worked before but has been a while since it's been used. May e missing something but my screen kooks just like the one posted by BobVila except I had sway off. When I turn Lane Departure on and off via the lower dash button it says Steering Assist is on.

Also if I have SA turned off the Lane Departure audio alert works. If I have SA on nothing happens when I cross the line. I'm going to report it to the dealer next time I'm in. Fortunately I'v had very few issues so don't go there much.

·
Registered
343 Posts
On my 2018 Limited i get a beep and the symbol flashes yellow which is hard to see. Never moved the car back between the white lines.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2017 Limited. I only notice my steering assist when going around curves but otherwise, I don't notice it working at all. I have tried on a few occasions to take my hands off the wheel and let it drift out of the lane (when no one is around and LDA, steering assist both on) to see if it corrected me but it didn't.... So I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if there's something messed up with mine too

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have a 2017 Limited. I get beep (hard to hear), then steering assist kick in. I always turn it off when I'm on high way.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have never experienced any corrective force applied to the steering wheel when purposefully trying to test it out. Lane departure alert has always worked very well. It doesn't steer assist in cruise, out of cruise, and at any speed.

Is it something that could have been disabled with Techstream? :confused:
I never Techstreamed mine and mine works decent. I have tested it at least 6 times and the only time it won't work is if the wind pushes me over the line too fast.

·
Super Moderator
10,127 Posts
My '06 RAV4 doesn't have any of these electronic nannies so I can't comment on how they work or don't, but it seems to me the discrepancies among owner experiences may very well have to do with the quality of the lane markings which certainly varies considerably especially over the large geographic area experienced by all the members posting.

How the engineers can even design a system that reacts to painted lines w/o some kind of embedded sensors baffles and impresses me. I'd think interstate highways would have the most consistent lane lines so that might work and apparently does, but once you get onto two lane or local roads the quality and freshness of the lines must be all over the place so what's the criteria the system uses to activate or deactivate itself. Does the owner's manual discuss any of he above?

·
Registered
214 Posts
On my 2018 Limited i get a beep and the symbol flashes yellow which is hard to see. Never moved the car back between the white lines.
LDA doesn't move you to the center. It moves you to the opposite of the white or yellow line you crossed. It will never center you. My 2018 limited beeps and then jerks me over.

·
Registered
2018 RAV4 Hybrid Limited
100 Posts
LDA doesn't move you to the center. It moves you to the opposite of the white or yellow line you crossed. It will never center you. My 2018 limited beeps and then jerks me over.
Odd. I've tested Steering Assist on my 2018 R4H Limited a few times and it will beep and gently nudge itself back into the center of the lane. The LDA ("beep") activates as the tire hits the line, but it takes having the tire actually cross over the line to engage the SA. And I've never had it "jerk" on me.

As others noted, it doesn't matter where on the wheel you hold. There are no "grip sensors" in the steering wheel so to disengage the SA, or make the MID warning go away, one simply has to provide a bit of steering directly. :wink

1 - 20 of 22 Posts