Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I just thought I would post this question here since the last time I asked some women friends about a professional hairdryer, no one new or they all had cheepies.
I did find and buy a Solano and sure enough a week later i chat with my neighbors daughter new all about them.. :roll:
Anyhow, I am looking for a professional brand and type of Fur trimmer for Dogs (same as human i assume).
So far I have found Wahl, Andis, and Oster. We do have an Oster but not professional.
I want more Power, low noise and reliability. Really need low noise because Happy the dog gets freaked out over vacuum electrical motors. The Solano is pretty quite but i still have not tried it on her yet.
So if anyone can give me some tips I would appreciate it.

Oh, for those of you who think a Solano is not manly (like the 4.2 Rav), I also use it in the workshop. :lol: :lol:

Cheers,

Walt
:D

·
Registered
654 Posts
I use a human ver. Wahl on my Aussie (other 2 are short hair). I don't recall the model (10 yrs old). I think it's the old gen of the 2000. It's held up really well with some regular oiling. As far as quiteness, it's not bad, certainly not loud enough to freak the dogs out (they hate the vacuum). The Dremel drill I use on their nails is *much* louder.

I know both Oster and Wahl have models specifically for pets that are suppose to run quieter and work with mats and thick coats. I personally like Wahl brand better than Oster but find that they tend to be a little heavier than Oster's counterparts. Never tried Andis. Conair also makes a line of trimmers.

It seems some of the higher end ones are around 4000 strokes/min, mostly targeted for equine.

This site seems to carry many of the Oster and Wahl models. Maybe they can answer some of your questions about power. The other thing you can do is visit your neighborhood groomer and see what they use.

http://www.k9clippers.com/anclipos.html

If I ever need to replace mine, I might go with a cordless since it would be much easier without that dang cord!

Carol

·
Registered
542 Posts
much of the noise those trimmers make can be taken out with proper adjustment. have worked on a few very noisy and missadjusted wahl trimmers. a properly adjusted and oiled trimmer only makes a slight humming noise!!

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Carol, in my house there is a central vac out in the shed, so when Happy is here she is OK. However, at her house when someone is vacuuming she jumps onto or behind me like the world is going to end. :shock:
I think I will look further into the Wahl models and also will see if I can take her to a groomer like you suggested. I can also see how the pros groom.
Normally I give her baths outside in the summer. It’s strange that she luvs lakes and rivers, but I have to sing to her while washing or else she gets nervous.
Maybe she thinks its funny to make me sing. :eek: :roll:
As for Conair I’ve had 2 of their hairdryers break in 21 months and that’s the last I will see of that brand.
What do you do with the Dremel? Grind or Sand the nail round after cutting?

Peterpogi, I don’t mind tuning it but lets hope my new trimmer runs like a charm as soon as I get it. I do a lot of appliance repairs especially from Ebay products get broken in shipping. When UPS ships… They really shake it :shock:

Thanks for the tips,

Walt :D

·
Registered
654 Posts
Walt, peterpogi's description of the Wahl humming is pretty accurate. I guess it's subjective as to how quite the hum is. I'm not sure how to tune it since I've never done that or felt I had to but I do oil it regularly and it still cuts as well as the first day. I probably wouldn't recommend the Conair since I've had problems with Conair hairdryers in the past, too.

I only use the Dremel on Cardigan Welsh Corgi (the female! and my avatar) since the boys are too sensitive in their feet. They get the snippers. I use it to sand down the nail. Comes in handy when the quick is really close or when you can't see the quick on black nails. I can get the nails shorter without cutting the quick.

Teehee, I'm sure Happy feels soothed when you sing to her. :D My dogs love to go after the garden hose and getting all wet but 2 of then hate getting baths. Go figure. :roll:

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
654 Posts
Great deal, Walt. I think 1" is the largest available but let me double check. I tried using the attachments but Maverick's (the Aussie) fur is really dense and the attachment gets stuck. I use a wide-teeth comb to pull the fur out to trim. (maybe peterpogi might know?)

The smaller trimmer might be good around the paws and underbelly if you're thinking of trimming there.

Are the scissors for you or Happy? I had gotten some blunt-nosed shears to use on the dogs that work pretty good but I don't remember where I got them (probably from Jeffers Pet or another online pet store). I'm not sure what the brand (no name on the scissors). Maybe Fromm since that's a fairly popular brand. If it's for you, I haven't bought hair cutting scissors before but I'm going to the salon on Saturday and I'll ask the stylist what she likes.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Walt,

FWIW, my stylist uses a few different brands but she says there are as many brands of shears as there are hair products and it's just a matter of taste and feel a person likes. She likes Japanese shears like Musashi because of balance and the way blade is made. They can run anywhere from $150 to $1K (cough, cough :shock: ).

Apparently a common brand is Arius Eckert (sp?) and is more cost efficient and the blades are good. Some of the more ergonomic ones can still be pretty expensive (over $100).

If your dad goes to a salon or a barber, he can find out and maybe try holding the ones they use. Then he can determine the style he likes.

Carol

·
Registered
542 Posts
sorry, no idea what the largest attachment size is. must admit though, i've never seen bigger than 1". i was just doing a favor for a friend when someone else had truly screwed up her trimmers!!

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok Carol now I have to sell the Trimmer to buy the shears. :eek:

Seriously though, thanks for checking for me.
I will probably end up getting something that retails in the $40 range.
Something similar to the Arius E. that you mentioned.

I think there was a slight misunderstanding. The scissors are to cut my Pops hair.
So I guess that makes me Papa's barber. :lol:

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Puttputt, just used the Walh 2000 trimmer on my Dad yesterday...
Nice :D Almost no clogging and the large attachment did the top of his head, so no need for scissors !
The job i did was much faster and better than before.
Thanks again.

Next I will try it out on Happy, that is if i can keep her still. She seems to keep her back close to me and stand like a statue when i am talking to people, so i will try cutting her fur at that moment. :wink:

Cheers, Walt

1 - 15 of 15 Posts