Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new 2006 4cyl 4x4 Limited. My fiancee and I joke how this is the "dog's car" because up until now she (golden retriever) has had to always sit in the back seat of a passenger car, and we bought an SUV with the dog in mind.

For trips to the park I have been keeping the back seats up and letting the dog sit on a blanket in the cargo area. However, we take 1-2 16 hour drives to Michigan every year and we would like to have her closer to us.

What we would like to do is put the seats all the way down and have her sit on a cushion between the front seats and the luggage. We would have to put up a barrier to keep the luggage from shifting forward.

We have the cargo net with poles, but there are no holes to set it up close to the rear passenger doors. I noticed there is a regular cargo net, but I don't know if there are any safe points to attach it to in the middle of the car.

Any suggestions from dog owners?

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I've been a dog owner and clean car fanatic as long as I can remember, one conflicts with the other. In order to keep the back seat (his seat) from getting full of doggy hair and dander, I have always used a bench seat cover to cover the back seats. Slips over the top, stretches almost to the floor, is easily removeable and washable. When they're pups, and still learning that the front seats are off limits, use a harness that connects to the seat belt receptacle. These two items can be found in Petsmart, Petco, any of the major pet chains and catalogues.

In my album there's two pics of my dog in the back seat, and you can barely see the seat cover - it's gray and matches the color of my interior leather.......

OC

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, some very good options there.

OC, do you have a brand/model of the seat covers you use?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
I got this one from Amazon:

Outland by Smittybilt 7704 Pet Divider

Its cheap (19.99) and it works great. I was actually surprised at the quality for the price. Easy to put in and take out too. You would probably have to get one of the extenders though, if you're gonna fold the seats down.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well my concern is not keeping the dog in one place actually. She is very good and never goes where she is not supposed to be. I actually want the dog to sit over the 2 row seats and use the divider to keep luggage in place behind her (and not slide into her). So what I would do is actually put the divider in upside down so the bars are close to the bed of the cargo area. Can these dividers stand a little bit of weight up against them?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Might see if you can get a "spider web" bunge cord that will fit the back of the RAV

The floor anchors are located in a way that you can attach bunge cords to them. I have an "X" pattern bunge configuration currently.

What would be great is if someone could find a mesh net that would work with the dimensions in the back (the area would be the distance across and the distance back between the hooks on the floor and the by the back door.

Also something like the Yakima Space Cadet might be an option

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Pro...05&parent_category_rn=4501515&vcat=REI_SEARCH

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Teggy -
The seat covers I have are manufactured by a company called "Carscape". What's nice about them is that thay have a slit in the middle that can be held closed with velcro so you can put your seatbelts through & buckle them - you don't have to take it off when you're carrying human passengers. Check out this link - the ones I have are most similar to the ones shown from Drs Foster & Smith for about $60........
http://www.nextag.com/pet-seat-covers/search-html

OC

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
summerwind said:
Also something like the Yakima Space Cadet might be an option
Oh, we'll be getting a car-top carrier as well. We take an awful lot of stuff with us when we go to Michigan :)

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Teggy - the ones from your link do look very similar to mine, with the elastic strap that goes around the seatback. Can't tell if these have the velcroed slit for seatbelt feature. Couldn't help but notice that the price ($24.99) is much cheaper than what I paid several years ago - about $60. I'd see if you can find Carscape in the right size - you won't go wrong.

I use the rubberized floormats to protect the floor, and cut out a piece of generic black rubber floormat to fit the uncovered section in the middle - that way the entire rear floor is covered. Whenver I lift the seat cover and floormats to vacuum, you'd never know my backseat is a doggy perch!! :D

OC

·
Registered
79 Posts
OCInsomniac said:
I have always used a bench seat cover to cover the back seats. Slips over the top, stretches almost to the floor, is easily removeable and washable.
OC
I was told if you have those side curtain airbags, they (the dealer) state not to use seat covers, for the airbags will not open... :?

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
rcycholl wrote:
I was told if you have those side curtain airbags, they (the dealer) state not to use seat covers, for the airbags will not open...
Checked what the manual says - has several pages explaining function of airbags. Page 78 states "Do not use seat accessories which cover parts where the side airbags inflate". Page 80 has a diagram which shows where airbag components and sensors are located. No components located in rear seats, only on overhead side panels, rear seat cover does not obstruct these.

However, front bucket seats have airbag components on rear outside portion of seatbacks, where a seat cover over fronts could obstruct their deployment. I think your dealer was referring to front seat covers. From this info, I think (hope) it's ok to assume that the rear seat doggy covers will not interfere with airbags. :)

OC

·
Registered
227 Posts
summerwind said:
Have been looking for one that will fit in a gen 3 RAV.

WeatherTech doesn't list the new RAV for their barrier version

You don't have a picture of how it looks in a RAV by chance??
Update:
Here is a picture of the barrier in the RAV4. http://rav4world.com/forums/album_pic.php?pic_id=1858
I added. I added the extension kit - not because I needed the extra height, but for the third set of tubes, so the dogs couldn't sneak under the barrier when the rear seat was folded down.

·
Registered
79 Posts
However, front bucket seats have airbag components on rear outside portion of seatbacks, where a seat cover over fronts could obstruct their deployment. I think your dealer was referring to front seat covers. From this info, I think (hope) it's ok to assume that the rear seat doggy covers will not interfere with airbags. :)

OC[/quote]

I remember like it was yesterday, what my dealer said, because, I do have a pair of seat covers that I was going to use. So today I called him up and he meant front seats only...... I guess it pays to read the owners manual <grin> :roll:

W

·
0 Posts
OCInsomniac said:
Teggy - the ones from your link do look very similar to mine, with the elastic strap that goes around the seatback. Can't tell if these have the velcroed slit for seatbelt feature. Couldn't help but notice that the price ($24.99) is much cheaper than what I paid several years ago - about $60. I'd see if you can find Carscape in the right size - you won't go wrong.

OC
The 24.99 is for a bucket seat cover which can not be used if you have the side air bags. The cost is 42.99 for the rear seat cover. Anyway, I'm interested and measured the seat but am mixed between whether to get the 52" or 54" cover. It seems the 52 would cover it but it may be a tight fit making it difficult to get on. Which way did you go?

Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I didn't order mine when I bought them - got them from a local pet store chain. If I remember correctly, I got the 54", and that was for a 2001 Subaru Forester. Got a second one for a 2002 Outback Sport - both had a smaller rear seat than my RAV4. If in doubt, I'd get the bigger size, you're better off having them too big than too snug. Also, you will be able to use them on a bigger vehicle should you ever get one.

OC

1 - 18 of 18 Posts