Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brother gave me this car with 100K miles. Had our mechanic change transmission fluid and filter using Toyota fluid. Less than 2K miles and the fluid is gray in color. Should we be worried? Intend to keep car for long, long time and only drive aout 6K miles a year.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Brother gave me this car with 100K miles. Had our mechanic change transmission fluid and filter using Toyota fluid. Less than 2K miles and the fluid is gray in color. Should we be worried? Intend to keep car for long, long time and only drive aout 6K miles a year.
Welcome. But, hey, "Doglady"? That should be my wife's moniker. How many dogs do you have? We currently have only four, plus a cat who thinks he's a dog.

As for the tranny fluid, I'd say check it again after some time, 5K miles? Keep an eye on how the tranny is shifting. If you change it again, ask the mechanic to look for any tiny metal particles. Absent particles, I'd think there's nothing to worry about. I'm not sure that the color alone is anything to worry about. But, I'm sure more knowledgeable folks on this site will reply.

PS The RAV is great for hauling critters.

·
Super Moderator
11,097 Posts
If the mech only drained and refilled then only a small portion of the total fluid was changed. If that was the case do the same about 3 more times.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the information on the transmission. I will show it to my mechanic next time I see him. I am the Doglady because we raised 5 puppies to grow up to be service dogs. For years I was accompanied by a puppy in training everywhere I went, so folks at church who did not know my name at the time called me the Doglady. We mostly use the CRV to transport the dog and cats so keep pet hair out of the RAV4, at least for a little while.

Wish the owner's manual that my brother never received wasn't so expensive. I have to look everything up on line to find out about maintenance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts