Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My 2 year old like playing with the rear dome light in our Hybrid. We dropped him off at his grandmothers and took off on a flight to Philly for 5 days. The morning we left he had the light on and I told myself to remember to turn it off. That never happened.

We returned yesterday and were out this morning in the car and he pointed out the light being on while we were driving. I assume it was left on for 6 days!!

Should I be worried? Everything seemed normal while driving today. Does anyone know if there's an auto shutoff or something like that when the car isn't powered on for a certain period of time? That would sure set my mind at ease.

Thanks fellow R4H'ers!

·
Registered
RAV4 HV Limited, Prius Prime Advanced
2,093 Posts
No worry. If the system boots and starts its all good. Worse case is when the 12v battery is fully drained and the system won't boot. Those lights turn themselves off after 20 min of no activity, but I'm not sure about when its in the manual-on position. If you leave a door ajar, they go off after 20 min.

FWIW, I'm testing that right now, will let you know in ~30 min.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Yup, every Toyota we've owned since our '98 Sienna shuts off the dome light(s) after 20-30 minutes, even if you've left a door open.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,893 Posts
Yup, every Toyota we've owned since our '98 Sienna shuts off the dome light(s) after 20-30 minutes, even if you've left a door open.
I know my RAV4 will turn off the interior lights after the door is left open for more than 15 minutes. However, if you turn on the dome light or map light MANUALLY, it will stay on until you switch it off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know my RAV4 will turn off the interior lights after the door is left open for more than 15 minutes. However, if you turn on the dome light or map light MANUALLY, it will stay on until you switch it off.
Oh? That was my situation. rdgrimes mentioned above that they tested it and it turned off. I wonder if it's a country and/or trim dependent feature?

·
Registered
846 Posts
I read in the Canadian manual about the 20 minute auto shut off. Not sure the door needs to be open or close but I think it works cause I have not seen the light stay on when I get in the car occasionally to drive it.

·
Registered
RAV4 HV Limited, Prius Prime Advanced
2,093 Posts
Can't say what your model does, but my 2016 turns off any and all interior lights regardless of how they're set - period.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Can't say what your model does, but my 2016 turns off any and all interior lights regardless of how they're set - period.
I think this is true of our 2011 too. Got in the car when it was dark one night. The dome light was not on when I approached the car but did come on upon opening the door as normal. The light would not turn off after starting the car and making sure all the doors were closed. That's when I noticed the switch was in the "on" position. I think my wife switched it on looking for something in the glove box and forgot about it. The car must have automatically turned it off later. The battery did not seem low as all as the car cranked normally.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes, sadly that is true with my 2007 RAV4 too .. and it has led at least twice to me totally draining the battery as I don't drive regularly.

Is there any way to have this automatically go off? In my case the car sat in the garage unused for 6+ days with the dome light on, the battery is totally dead, no LCD clock, nothing.

My headlights turn off automatically after a period, you'd think the dome lights would too :-/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts