Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I was driving into the sun for the first time and WOW the windshield was full of scratches :cry:

Some where between Japan and me the windshield met with something abrasive..

The good news is that it is covered by Toyota under warranty :mrgreen:

The BAD news is that this has to be replaced with a factory windshield
(too new for local windshield suppliers to provide one) and windshields are backlogged. I am 52nd in line for one. :cry:

Waiting a month for a new windshield is no big deal for me but if you get a rock through one your RAV will be out of action for a while until they sort out the backlog issue.

·
Registered
7,808 Posts
wow ... that is a long wait! The other day a rock came off a truck and aimed for my head :lol: the windshield did it's job, but the rock made me close my eyes for impact :lol: loud sound but no damage so far 8)

·
Registered
363 Posts
If you hear it hit, it probably left a pit, which will show up as a sparkling diamond when headed into the sunlight.

Also I would not want aftermarket glass, it may not have the UV reduction filters the factory glass has or those little black dots that make up the "tinting" around the mirror. In fact I have never gotten an aftermarket windshield that did not have some type of optical distortion.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I believe I am the owner of the 1st (or at least one of the first) OEM replacement windshields for the RAV. Took delivery of mine 3/06/06 and it had a chip in the windshield from a highway rock. Took delivery with a signed IOU from the dealer (was a small chip so was driveable) for a new windshield to replace the busted one. Took 3 weeks to get in and replaced and I was told I was the first one ordered in the US...

·
Registered
55 Posts
BarnyFife,

Does the front windshield actually have UV protection or not? All the windows on mine except for the front windshield have the etched UV or UVS letters on them. Does yours?

Herk

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I just got a ding on my windshield from a rock on the highway. I never saw the rock coming, but the sound wasnt that loud on impact, so that tells me it wasnt a very big rock, maybe it was the angle the rock hit the windshield or something. I must confrim what others have said on this forum, the windshield on the RAV4 cracks pretty easily.
Does any know if the insurance company will pay for the repair of the star on the windshield or do they just pay for windshield replacements?

·
Registered
270 Posts
The G Man said:
Does any know if the insurance company will pay for the repair of the star on the windshield or do they just pay for windshield replacements?
Actually, in most cases, the insurance company will pay the full charge of the repair, but you will have to pay the deductible if the windshield is replaced.

G

·
0 Posts
I feel your pain. My windshield got hit yesterday, leaving a chip/small crack on the bottom part of the windshield. I just got this car less than 1 month ago, and haven't even made ist payment yet.
I need advice on where to go from here.

[/quote]The good news is that it is covered by Toyota under warranty Mr. Green
I thought glass/windshield is not covered under Toyota warranty?
Please clarify.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
If your windshield is hit by a rock, its not cover under warranty. I will find out today if my insurance company will cover the repair, but then, every state has different insurance laws. In Massachusetts, there is no deductible for windshield replacement.

·
Registered
270 Posts
The G Man said:
If your windshield is hit by a rock, its not cover under warranty. I will find out today if my insurance company will cover the repair, but then, every state has different insurance laws. In Massachusetts, there is no deductible for windshield replacement.
Interesting! I live in Pennsylvania and over 10 years ago my insurance company replaced my windshield free-of-charge. However, a couple years ago I had a chip and the repair was not successful so I had to pay the deductible when my windshield was replaced. Apparently it does work differently in different states and according to the law in effect at the time.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I just got my windshield replaced today for that rock chip, the insurance company covered everything. I hope the after market windshield is better quality than the OEM one.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Insert pain here :wall :wall

Toyota has slid the delivery of a Toyota replacement windshield another week. Will be a month and counting now.

When I called the 1-800 number only got a "well if they don't have the part they can't ship it" response.

So much for Customer Service.

Is amazing that a Toyota can not supply a part for a vehicle that has been in production for over 6 months..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Our RAV's windshield looked like it was hit with a pellet or a bb, though she thinks it was a rock. It was hit while she was driving down the highway. The spot that was hit had cracks in concentric circles with radial lines coming out from the center. Soon, a long crack developed across the windshield.

My wife got her windshield replaced last week. She had to wait about 3 weeks for it to come in.

·
Registered
269 Posts
With all the talk of defective windshields in the RAV i thought I would add my experience last night driving on the highway. I was next to a tractor trailer and he kicked up a small rock, about 3/8" in diameter. I watched it bounce up, come in and hit my windshield. No crack, but a small pit. So, I guess I am happy about that with some of the other experiences posted here.

·
Registered
363 Posts
That is what I have, but the trouble is that those pits add up and make it hard to see when driving into the sun and it also prevents RainX from working properly.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts