Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I got my Rav back from the service dept. today, I asked what would happen if someone purchased my Rav and had the check engine light come on after the 80K warrenty expires. He said if they had to pay for what you had done it would cost about $2000. I was considering purchasing an 06 Rav, but know I am giving it second thoughts.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Specifics?

Can you be more specific?
What service did you have done?
CEL can be caused by many things.

And was the 80k warranty 80k miles? Kilometers?
Was it an extended warranty?
Or are you talking about a catalytic converter warranty?

EDIT:
NEVER MIND. I just saw and read your other thread about this.
How can you be in two places at once...?

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i got my 2003 rav4 at 33k miles.

pre owned.

is that good or bad? :wink:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did see some high repair costs for emissions systems on RAV's on this site, but to be fair that can happen on any car with 80,000 miles and parts will be expensive for most cars these days. I had failure of emissions parts of mine and it had less than 3000 miles on it. If I added up the cost of repair it would think it would have been $2000 or even more. They were faulty parts from the factory, but so far the replacements have been holding up. I still don't feel good about the failures so soon though.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have to call BS on this thread. Any auto can cost big bucks to fix why would a rav be any different. One head for a F-150 pickup is well over 2,000 dollars. A heater core may be as high as 1000 to repair so any truck , car whatever has cost when it comes time to repair them. Get real here you buy used you take a risk. I bought my 97 ford pickup new and it has 160,000 miles on it and its never been in the shop.?? This thread make no sence to me... :shock:

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My point is that when a vehicle gets up in mileage (75-100k) the expected cost of maintenance is high and rightly so. But with the additional cost of mainaining just the emission system greatly adds to this cost. I just made it under warrenty (80k) and it did not cost me this time. I asked the service manager what it would have cost me just 5k miles later and he said just over $2000. This cost is what I call additional cost of owning a high milage vehicle. Enough said and this is not BS. PS: I always buy new every 5 years and the 06 will be in my garage soon.

·
Registered
771 Posts
If the dealer says $2000 then you can bet it would only cost you $800 tops at any other reputable shop if the parts were available aftermarket.

After the warranty is up why would you take it to the dealer to be fixed anyway :?: The rates are usually much higher. Find a good shop and get it done there. Sometimes it may be cheaper to buy a performance exhaust kit than replacing with OEM gear anyway.

Any rig will cost you and by the time you reach higher millage it's paid off anyway so the up keep is the only thing you really need to pay for. I plan on doing the small fixes myself but would deffinetely not take it back the Toyota for service that's for sure.

Later. M.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am glad my emission system crashed during the 80,000 warrenty and not after. I planned to keep it for another year but if there would be another major repair, it would be on me. Thats why I intend to trade for an 06.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've got a late 2001 Rav4 2WD with 130,800 miles, and have never had any problems with it. The only maintenance that I pay for are oil changes that I do myself every 5,500 miles, and normal tune-ups.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am glad to hear you have very good luck with your Rav. Did you ever have the check engine light problem? Did you ever replace your timing belt? If you didn't, you probably should.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
What do you mean by good luck?
If the majority if not all RAV's don't have the problems you are experiencing than what does luck have to do with it?
This is a Fact I can see by reading RAVWORLD.

You seem to be very adamant about this issue, so why haven’t other RAV owners spoken out?
What's your theory? Are they Lucky, Shy, Liars, or to Lazy to write?

Walt

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No check engine light problem. I haven't touched the timing. The only things that I've done are replace the spark plugs, air filter, and fluids, and add sound dampener to quiet down the noises in the cabin.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Glad to hear you didn't have to do anything with the timing after 130K miles. That was one of my concerns. I am wondering what the recommended milage is for this.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know it's not a RAV4, but my husband and I have a 1993 Corolla with over 168,000 miles on it.
All we've had to do to the car (other than regular maintenance) is put a new alternator on it at about 80,000 miles.
We've put 3 timing belts, 3 batteries, and have done 58 oil changes.
We had to put a new power window motor in the driver's door, but that was because of my own stupidity of trying to force the window down while it was frozen shut. :oops:

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
rav4girl said:
I know it's not a RAV4, but my husband and I have a 1993 Corolla with over 168,000 miles on it.
All we've had to do to the car (other than regular maintenance) is put a new alternator on it at about 80,000 miles.
We've put 3 timing belts, 3 batteries, and have done 58 oil changes.
We had to put a new power window motor in the driver's door, but that was because of my own stupidity of trying to force the window down while it was frozen shut. :oops:
High milage vehicles were easier to maintain, cost wise, before emission controls were installed. That is the point I was trying to make. The cost of keeping the emission system functioning could cost more than the car is worth.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I bought my rav with 68000 miles on it never has broke down yet I am at 15100 miles right now i bought a honda preludge 1989 with 12900 miles no probolems with it neither it depends on prior owners i luck out because the owners took care of their vehicles

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
2nd Gen RAV4's have timing chains not belts

just fyi...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts