Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

don't buy the dealer dashcam !!!

16K views 29 replies 9 participants last post by  Wilbur 
#1 ·
the thing cannot connect to either of my android devices through wifi direct,
accepts password, then it kind of logs in and then the freeze.
I am going to have a talk with the dealership next week.

WARNING, DO NOT BUY THIS , it looks like toyota did very little thinking
before putting out this product.

The only way I can view is to remove the SD card, which is in a tight spot,
cannot adjust the lens because there is no view available without
my android cell or samsung tablet...

don't waste your money, goto reputable dash cam installer...and get
a reputable dashcam..

#2 ·
Does Toyota even MAKE a dashcam? What's the Toyota part number?

#5 ·
Is the recording good for day and night?
Does unit have wifi? If it does it should be viewable and even downloadable to your smart phone?
What app on your smartphone are you using?

#9 ·
My Toguard with WIFI recommends "RORO Cam" Android App from Google Play. I use "Finalcam" instead and it works fine. Can view life on my LG G5 but have to manually activate download if you wish to download to phone. I don't download to phone. Just viewing only.

#11 ·
Not sure what Cam Toyota sold you. Final Cam plays all Novatek cams. Novatek is manufacturer of processors.
Post a picture of your dashcam. Maybe one of us can identify it's make.

#17 ·
I google this. There's a thread on Dashcamtalk.com but no details of processor, sensor or OS. I'd ask your dealer to make it acceptable to you.
If @KTL's post on the price is correct, it's really expensive. All 3 cameras listed on my signature cost me less that USD 200 without SD card and hardwiring.

#18 ·
No problems so far

I had the Toyota Dash Camera installed, on Oct 27/17, by my dealer. Yes it is rather expensive however it is fully integrated into the vehicle and wiring. I am super impressed and so far have had no issues with it or the wifi connectivity to both an iPhone 6 and recently an iPhone 8. One nice feature of the software is that it "highlights" incidents (parking bumps, rapid deceleration etc) so you do not have to search the data to find what you might be looking for. We had a deer run out in front of us and I jammed on the brakes which created an incident - later I reviewed the incident on my iPhone (i.e. within the vehicle) and then had the file downloaded to the iPhone. Hooked the iPhone up to my desktop and the Toyota Dash Cam Viewer software quickly played the 60 second file (which included the 30 seconds before the actual incident) which showed plenty of details including the vehicle speed (every tenth of a second), GPS data (and map), deceleration rate, time stamps etc -- all of these "extra" data items were not viewable in the vehicle using the wifi connection with the iPhone. Of course had I taken out the data card I would have obtained the same information; I was just pleased one could have all the details via the iPhone download as well as by using the SD card itself. The video was superb -- it was surprising, to me, of just how fast the vehicle "appears" to be going via the video viewer versus what the speed appears when being the driver; the camera provides a much different perspective indeed.

As I said I am very happy with the investment and added "insurance" the data/video may provide. Pricey but could prove invaluable when needed and the unit looks fully integrated rather than "added on".

#24 ·
I had the Toyota Dash Camera installed, on Oct 27/17, by my dealer. Yes it is rather expensive however it is fully integrated into the vehicle and wiring. I am super impressed and so far have had no issues with it or the wifi connectivity to both an iPhone 6 and recently an iPhone 8. One nice feature of the software is that it "highlights" incidents (parking bumps, rapid deceleration etc) so you do not have to search the data to find what you might be looking for. We had a deer run out in front of us and I jammed on the brakes which created an incident - later I reviewed the incident on my iPhone (i.e. within the vehicle) and then had the file downloaded to the iPhone. Hooked the iPhone up to my desktop and the Toyota Dash Cam Viewer software quickly played the 60 second file (which included the 30 seconds before the actual incident) which showed plenty of details including the vehicle speed (every tenth of a second), GPS data (and map), deceleration rate, time stamps etc -- all of these "extra" data items were not viewable in the vehicle using the wifi connection with the iPhone. Of course had I taken out the data card I would have obtained the same information; I was just pleased one could have all the details via the iPhone download as well as by using the SD card itself. The video was superb -- it was surprising, to me, of just how fast the vehicle "appears" to be going via the video viewer versus what the speed appears when being the driver; the camera provides a much different perspective indeed.

As I said I am very happy with the investment and added "insurance" the data/video may provide. Pricey but could prove invaluable when needed and the unit looks fully integrated rather than "added on".
This is good news, or at least a start. I have not installed dash cams in either of my cars, because they look homemade and cluttered. I have been waiting for Toyota to include them as an option, like a navigation system, so they would just be part of the design of the vehicle. Ravs, like other vehicles, already have many cameras, and so it seems to me that Toyota would have no problem fitting “dash cams”, in the front and rear, where they would not be readily visible. Viewing activity would be easy for them to provide through both the navigation screen or downloadable. Maybe that day will not be too far off. It took a while for navigation systems to become mainstream.

#21 ·
Strictly depends on what you're looking for from it. How much money you wish to spend. Low light captures, shape, size, screen/no screen, just front or front and rear, wifi, gps, reliability and after sales support. Can range from as low as $10 to $ thousands as in Police cams.

As listed in my signature are small discreet no screen cameras. Mobius, $68.00 ebay. Toguard with wifi $80.00 ebay.

Reactions: jtranrav
#30 ·
I just found out the dealer won't or cannot adjust the camera angle so the camera or the video is showing too much of my Dash but there's nothing I can do.... so I'm told

Stay away...buy aftermarket

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.