Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching the news this evening. It has an article that say that Tornado Gizmo's "Doesn't Work". Many people are looking for alternative to the high cost of gas. Don't get fooled by Tornado allegation of improving fuel economy.

Gas savers: They still don't work on a highway.

With gas prices still high, readers have asked us to weigh in on products that promise better fuel economy. We tested three: Fuel Genie, Platinum Gas Saver, and Tornado. Our advice: Don't waste your money. They don’t work.

This isn't news. We've tested such devices over the years and have not found any that improve fuel economy. The Environmental Protection Agency, whose Web site lists scores of devices that the agency has tested in the past 30 years, including the Platinum Gas Saver, has had similar results.

Fuel Genie.

Platinum Gas Saver.

Tornado

The Fuel Genie, $90, which promises more power and better gas mileage, is a plastic device with curved blades that fits inside the air-intake hose. The airflow is supposed to allow for better performance. But in our tests with a 2004 Toyota Tundra and a 2004 Dodge Stratus, we saw no significant improvement in performance or fuel economy. The Tornado, $70, is a similar device made of stainless steel. It is the same product we tested for a July 1999 report, when we said it didn't improve power or gas mileages in two test vehicles.

The Platinum Gas Saver, $119, includes tubing and a plastic reservoir containing liquid. It is the same device we tested for our report in February 2001. You connect it to a vacuum line leading to the intake manifold. The manufacturer says that microscopic platinum particles from the liquid are sucked through the line, helping your car burn gas more efficiently and cleanly. In our previous tests, there were no changes in fuel economy after we installed the device in two test vehicles.

The bottom line: The best way to get the most from a tank of gas is to follow the vehicle manufacturer's service schedule.

Source: Consumer Report :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
200 Posts
I can't imagine people paying $70 for a piece of bent sheet metal! At least our SRI/CAI, though pricey, give actual performance gains.

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess NAPA, JC Whitney, Pep Boys and Advance auto Parts all these Big Auto Parts are really feeling stupid. They all have in their warehouses these gizmo's. They fell for that one. Even a leading magazine like Sports Compact Car did an article on them coming to inconclusive results. When a performance magazine comes to this conclusion, somethings stinks. :wall :wall

·
Registered
200 Posts
Reminds me of when my girlfriend bought some fancy jar of firming skin cream (or whatever it does). Little jar of cream was like $50 and looked like little more than lotion you find at Target or Walmart. Honestly, she looks quite the same (not that it is a bad thing). The next time I get nagged about spending cash on my car, I can bring up the $50 jar of cream. At least my go-fast goodies produce immediate and measurable results!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Yeah but couple the Tornado and Platinum fuel saver with the Raizin grounding cables and you get 35 more miles per gallon and at least a 200 hp boost. Rain X alone raises your top speed by 3 mph.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I wish I would have signed up to this forum a lot sooner. I have found out so much. But I must say I bough one of the Air Razor Vortex generators and since installing it I have noticed a significant change in my fuel economy and increased HP. It might be b/c I live at a higher altitude and the air is thinner. In any case I will stand by this product because I have notice a difference in a positive way.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
What i see and what i've read is that even if you created a vortex with that thing, the throttle plate is next in the way of the air, thus it will disturb whatever vortex was created. The idea of the vortex is to cause more turbulence right before the intake valves and into the cylinder to mix the fuel and air better thus maximizing combustion, but then again, you'd have to get the vortex in there and something like a Tornado (vortex generator) wont work much unless you are at wide-open throttle the whole time, and even then i'd think it to be very inefficient.

Now, if you have noticed changes then i cannot discuss that cause i have no personal experience with that thing, thats just my personal physics/engineering-oriented opinion. :wink:

·
Registered
210 Posts
2001SL2 said:
What i see and what i've read is that even if you created a vortex with that thing, the throttle plate is next in the way of the air, thus it will disturb whatever vortex was created. The idea of the vortex is to cause more turbulence right before the intake valves and into the cylinder to mix the fuel and air better thus maximizing combustion, but then again, you'd have to get the vortex in there and something like a Tornado (vortex generator) wont work much unless you are at wide-open throttle the whole time, and even then i'd think it to be very inefficient.

Now, if you have noticed changes then i cannot discuss that cause i have no personal experience with that thing, thats just my personal physics/engineering-oriented opinion. :wink:
To further this thought...
The one thing that's often overlooked is the intake ports were designed by Toyota to provide the turbulence needed to mix air / fuel before combustion. So adding one of these aftermarket gimmicks is redundant.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
golfer said:
The one thing that's often overlooked is the intake ports were designed by Toyota to provide the turbulence needed to mix air / fuel before combustion. So adding one of these aftermarket gimmicks is redundant.
Exactly, it just doesnt make sense to me to pay so much for that, htey advertise it too good to be true.

·
Registered
273 Posts
mensajero said:
I imagine that you tested this on your own?
Of course not. I don't mean to drop hate on some of these products per se, but thermodynamics and physics dictates that most of this stuff doesn't work. how is swirling the air going to necesarily increase power. Some high dome piston designs were made for this purpose, but 30 inches up the intake stream is a little much.

I just hate seeing unknowing people get screwed over buying all of these gimmicky products. Cold air intakes, headers, exhaust, sway bars, and suspension upgrades are all viable performance enhancers, but cheap resistor packs and ground wires not to mention 25 cents worth of bent scrap metal don't do anything to the efficiency of the engine.

I could care less if people "rice" out their cars. Have a nut! Mostly, have fun, but I can't stand for unsubstatiated claims and lack of scientific methodology or testing.

I think the Rav is great. I've had mine since college. It is bulletproof. I don't plan on ever getting rid of it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts