Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Jeff, just FYI, they weren't collecting any money. This was for awareness...to put pressure on the G8 to do what's right when they meet in a few days. There is a group of charities that sort of all comprise the ONE campaign, but Live8 was not intended to raise money for any of them. The one 20 years ago, Live Aid, was a charity thing however.

Becky

PS: OMG!!!!!! PINK FLOYD!!!!!! :D (Sorry, just had to add that.)

O

·
0 Posts
Now for the real question, can anyone remember where they were when the original Live Aid first kicked off? Or am I just too old?

T

·
0 Posts
...I vaguely remember the first Live Aid...just dont remember where!
..but did my part!
geeez there were a few good acts and there were some bad bad
acts....such as Motley Crue (sad state they were)
Pete Doherty from Baby Sham with Elton John - EJ was good but
what was that other guy on?
Loved Pink Floyd, Velvet Revolver....and of course U2!!!! :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Jeff said:
I am always skeptical about charity events like that. I prefer to donate money directly to the charities.

http://news.ft.com/cms/s/68c254e8-e8d3-11d9-87ea-00000e2511c8.html
Agreed, its just a nice way to package the event to raise our taxes more, then send it overseas where it will do no good, like all the billions we have sent there over the years. If Brad Pitt and Tom Hanks are so concerned lets see them drain their bank accounts first.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Don't worry about the aid money raising your taxes...current aid is something like 0.2% of the US GDP, even if it is raised it will still be well under 1%.

As for it doing no good, I'm certain the woman who was brought onstage at L8 who was near death 20 years ago and has recently graduated college would disagree adamantly.

It's a matter of accountability for the aid, and yes, that is a HUGELY important component of the plan. I agree it would do no good without accountability.

Becky

·
Registered
99 Posts
I thought the Richard Ashcroft Bitter sweet symphony was memorable - brought back some great memories. oh how id love to shoulder barge my way through a street like he does :p

·
Registered
422 Posts
LauDakWah said:
I thought the Richard Ashcroft Bitter sweet symphony was memorable - brought back some great memories. oh how id love to shoulder barge my way through a street like he does :p
LOL! Haven't seen that video for a while. That's a great song and it was nice to see it done live.

Becky

1 - 11 of 11 Posts