Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, Just got my 2005 Rav4 sport. I love it!! I got my first door ding not even 3 days after I got it! I parked in the last spot way out in the middle of no where and someone still parked next to me, swung their door open and bang! Ugh. So, now I'm looking for some sort of door protection like moulding. But I'm not sure what would be the best at protecting my doors and also won't look too ugly. I've also considered the tube steps offered by Toyota - thinking that maybe they stick out far enough to prevent a door ding. What do y'all think?

·
Registered
396 Posts
There's really nothing out there that I found would protect the Rav's sides and still look stock. And yeah, I know about those stupid people parking right beside you when you're parked way out and they still ding your doors. Thankfully, it hasn't happened to my Rav yet. Some other things you might do to protect your Rav. Park besides 4 door cars and not two doors since 2 doors tend to have longer door lengths. Don't park beside any mini vans, large suvs, or any other car with a car seat where children or parents might be swinging open doors. Always park beside a spot with an aisle on one side and hug that aisle like there's no tomorrow when you park. Park between expensive cars and not junkers. If it's a wide open space with trees, pick the spaces with no trees as everyone will be running for the shaded areas. I also tend to go to places that have tight or few parking earlier in the day to finish my shopping, etc. while I leave businesses with more parking choices for noon and after where traffic and parking spaces become more congested. Other than getting a local ding doctor to pull out that dent, you'll just have to live with it. Now maybe you can take the S out for a little soft roading since it's already got a little damage. What's a few more scratches, right? :wink:

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
always park in between BMW and Mercedes ... any car that's over $40k...

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the good advice. I knew this would happen eventually - just not so soon! I still may put some ugly moulding on... As for the soft off-roading - I'll have to give it a try as soon as I get a chance :)

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Linda,

Sorry to hear about your door ding :( - I know how annoying this can be, it happened to my previous RAV on several occasions, although luckily on the side strip (but still looks a mess).

Having just part-ex'd my RAV for a nice shiny new one, I expect I'll be paranoid for a bit over the possibility of some inconsiderate person who may not be careful when opening their doors. Our car park at work is not the best for these dosey idiots :x

I can't really offer any more advice than has already been given. I try to park on the end of a row (nearest the isle) and leave the max gap on the side nearest to the next parking spot. This can backfire though, as someone managed to scuff my rear bumper a few weeks ago while it was on the end of a row of spaces. I don't think fitting running boards would help necessarily, the only thing they might do is give a visual clue to those parking next to you how close they are.

Anyway, best of luck with sorting it out.

KJ

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
(All of these are on the passenger side :()

Oh Linda, trust me... I really know what you're talking about. I started a tread about asking how to fix those dents, but my solution is to just replace the whole thing. As you can see in the pic, it looks very bad. I was thinking on using those black tape side trims, but it looks kinda funky. A friend gave me 20 feet of that, and I haven't used it yet.

And about parking far, I always do that, but when I go to places like Costco or at college, there aren't really very expensive cars, and I park wherever I can. It's been almost 3 years since my first horrible ding, which happened at Costco :x, and after 2 years, I stopped counting them. I used to be so paranoid that bad stuff kept happening, and I kept counting every single ding, rock chip, and everything that you can imagine, but I just got tired. Sadly, stuff like these are unavoidable, but you have to learn to cope with them :(. But if you can avoid it, please do so. I even got a shopping cart hitting my car (i'm guessing), but a friend buffed it out, but I still have small dents :(.

I'm thinking that you could get the same black tape I'm talking about, but probably paint it to match the side trims, but that's just an idea I got, hehe :p ... I don't know if they make a tape wide enough to cover the trim :roll:.

Let's all just hope that our cars become alive and scare the crap out of those idiots.. mua... ha... ha.. ha.. haaaaa :twisted: (creepy laugh)

Miriam

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Miriam. I noticed that most people seem to be getting dings on the grey moulding/trim. I got mine next to the rear door handle on the metal body...hmmm... maybe it wasn't a door that got me, but something else in the parking lot, or else someone with a truck or large SUV. Who knows. I was thinking about getting some clear vinyl moulding - hoping that it blends in better than the black stuff. I've also looked into x-pel, which is a clear plastic-type adhesive used for protecting paint on the front of cars. It's sometimes called a "clear bra" or "clear shield". It won't work well with preventing dents, but may help with preventing the paint from being scratched off.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Car's not safe anywhere. My old Acura RSX was parked in a nice corner spot well away from anyone else.

Just to have a drunk driver in a conversion van hit someone in a nearby intersection. Attempt to flee the scene. But ended up going over a sidewalk, through some bushes, and into my car.

·
Registered
422 Posts
ultima16888 said:
always park in between BMW and Mercedes ... any car that's over $40k...
LOL! That is definitely good advice! On the rare occasions when I can't get an extra wide spot on an end somewhere, I always look to park between two cars that are worth more than mine!

I'm embarrassed to say that the only ding I've got so far (knock wood) was 100% my fault. I was gassing up the Rav after a rough day at work that also happened to be the day before we were leaving on a trip. I was at an unfamiliar gas station and a bit distracted and on my way to grab my receipt off of the pump I walked into my gas door. Unfortunately I was going opposite the way the hinge works, and it caused a small crease in the door (and a nice scrape on my arm). :roll: Gotta get me a "Ding King" (a/k/a "Pops A Dent") one of these days.

Becky

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have "ding king" and that shxt is pure crxp (please excuse my language here as you know I don't usually brand things with such words) it should be called dent king... cuz for small dings it does nothing other than taking 20-30 out of your life trying to achieve something that's impossible...

for bigger dent bigger than a quarter it might work, for something that's smaller than the size of your finger nail... i can't stress enough... it does absolutely NOTHING...

I can't believe I actually buys crxp from As seen on TV .. their merchandise is pure crxp... antenna booster, ding king... whatever ... why don't they just call me and say "Hey we are As Seen On TV and we know you don't know any better so why don't you give me your credit card number... oh ya bank account would work too"

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No door ding in 9 years!!!

I park far. Far enough that I look like an idiot but who cares. Not at the bottom of slope where the shopping carts might be heading my way. If I am taking long in the store, I continously monitor the parking lot to see if the cars are getting close to me and if they are, I relocate my vehicle. My RAV has not had a single scratch or ding in 4 years and I pray that it stays like that. I bought my Corolla used and it had two dings in it and I know a paintless ding repair guy who charges about 60 dollars for the first ding and 20 for all others. I am having him massage the dings out tomorrow at noon. Very excited about that!!

People have no RESPECT. They don't feel responsibility towards other people's property.

My 1988 Accord got a ding once even when I was parked far away. This ugly truck deliberately parked next to me and dinged me. I left him a NASTY NOTE. From that day on, I changed my parking lot for work. I used to park in a different building's parking lot and walk a MILE to and from car everyday. This was 9 years ago. I had that ding taken out from the same guy. He knows me personally now.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
You're so lucky RAV4EVR :shock:.. I got my car scratched on purpose twice at school during the first couple of weeks after I bought it :(, I guess there are groups of people who dedicate their time damaging other people's cars. In the same college at almost the same time someone dinged my door, I saw a brand new white Rav L pckg that had the spare tire cover all scratched up from top to bottom :!:. I felt so sorry and at the same time angry at whoever did such horrible thing.
Miriam

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, having running boards prevents dings? Does it stick out far enough? Are the dings on your running boards? Or do people just pay more attention when you have running boards?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Linda said:
So, having running boards prevents dings? Does it stick out far enough? Are the dings on your running boards? Or do people just pay more attention when you have running boards?
Having running boards on a RAV does not always prevent dings. Because our RAVs are not that high off the ground, larger SUVs and truck doors will definitely hit your RAV. They might help if you raise your RAVs height so that the running boards are about the same height as most cars door height.

The only vehicle that I've ever owned that did not receive any dings was a raised Jeep Wrangler with extended running boards. :D

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I've not picked up a door ding on any of my cars. Parking further away is something I've just always done, even in my '88 Mazda 626.

Though my Mazda6 got a nice long key mark all the way across the rear bumper.

Some people just have no respect.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts