Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The driver side door is somewhat jammed. I have to pull on the door knob and push the door with my shoulders in order to open the door. Does the door just need to be realigned, if so is it something I can easily do myself? Please advise fellow Rav4ers.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Could be several things ...

Easiest thing to do first is to grease the latch.

Also check for obstructions around the door frame (carpet, sill plate, loose weatherstripping, etc.)

Then the not so easy -- dead or misaligned latch, bent door, tweaked body, ....

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it's a misaligned latch. I tried unscrewing the 3 screws that holds up the latch and tried to push the latch up a bit, but it didn't help much.

·
Registered
69 Posts
One possible cause could be Open Link. Open Link is a rod connecting door inside handle to the latch. If length of it is too long, the latch will not fully retreat when you pull the inside handle.
Length of it can be adjusted. There should be thread in one end of the rod that screwing into the latch assembly. If you screw it into the latch a few more turns, length will be shorter. Freeplay between linkage will be smaller. The latch will retreat sooner. You need to remove door inner panel, the latch/lock assembly and outside handle to make adjustment.

Another location you can look at is door lock striker on the pillar between front and real doors. Loose 2 monting screws. Using a plastic or rubber hammer, tap the striker to adjust it.

Final places you need to check are door side hinge and body side hinge. You can adjust the door in directions of forward/rearward, left/right and vertical. I won't touch it in case more troubles like wind noise, water leak, door freezing .....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts