Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Central door lock sometimes becomes weird. Phenomen it went locking and unlocking itself, even with the key out of the ignition switch. Or it was possible to lock but impossible to unlock, and visa versa. The RAV is not fitted with an alarmsystem. Dealer worked on it and couldn't find it.
It was very easy to lock my self out, or sometimes when I came back to the parked RAV I found it has unlocked itself, doors were unlocked. Not a safe situation. I noticed it became worst after each carwash visit and then it kept on few days. Normal wet and rainy weather has no affect. But later on it started inpredicable, regardless of wet or dry and problem frequency went up.
Yesterday it took me few hours and I solved it! First I checked the front door/ rear door locks since they have a keyswitch to activate the relay, no problems. Then the wiring and yes the connector on the LH side (driver) kick panel, has trace of corrosion. There was a green oxydation deposit on the terminals causing current leak. After cleaning it now everything works fine. Next I have to check the water ingress point now, must be very little neve noticed wet spots.

S

·
0 Posts
I just found your post via a Google search. You will need to stay on top of this corrosion issue. I have a 2002 Rav4 and I started having an electrical issue yesterday. Come to find out the electrical system is so corroded it will cost me $4700.00 to have it fixed. Some wires are completely corroded through. Both electrical harnesses need to be replaced and there may be other issues. I don't use the car except to drive to and from work (i.e. no off-road, etc..) so the problem is via normal wear and tear. Good Luck with your issue. As for me, it looks like the end of the road. There is NO WAY I am going to sink $4700.00 into an electrical fix. The vehicle is only 5 years old with 72K miles.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts